• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Lexan windows inside TVP's a good idea ?

Huktonfonics

Hey folks. I thought id give this a go and see how it would turn out, as i theorised that :

1) It would create forced air flow over the components, instead of it all whistling about all over the place.

2) It would keep all or most of the muck out of the car.

Here's a couple photos to show what i mean

I ordered some 1mm lexan sheet and stencilled out the TVPs and marked all the screw holes that are going to be used, and reamed those out

Then put them on the inside of the TVPs and bolted it all back together, gorilla tight

A59CD493-C436-49BD-A1CF-39B194D1F80C_zps

C4A4E847-0ADB-47F5-9E48-924928212DD0_zps

AA5045DD-8453-440D-9623-35F6340CECCA_zps

I had to get it to catch the light, but it is pretty much invisible

14B6A2A4-FD88-4149-B314-94C4F70F23A7_zps

I'm yet to take it out and test it since I've done this, as I'm waiting on some bolts to finish off my GH bulkhead install.

0A10DBD6-CA42-4E8E-82E6-8ACC443FA676_zps

Thoughts ? The motor and esc barely broke a sweat when I had it out doing speed runs on 11/52 gearing with 6s before I added this.

Edited by Huktonfonics
  • Like 1

I like it, but I fear that dirt entering from above will collect inside, unless the bottom is very open?

I've got the IRC skid plate on the bottom, but i had to mill a slot out as the spur on the centre diff would touch, but I've got a fair bit of lexan sheet left, and will consider looking at a way of getting some sort of mud guards done to see if i could reduce this some how. Thanks for pointing this out, hadn't thought of it :)

I've got the IRC skid plate on the bottom, but i had to mill a slot out as the spur on the centre diff would touch, but I've got a fair bit of lexan sheet left, and will consider looking at a way of getting some sort of mud guards done to see if i could reduce this some how. Thanks for pointing this out, hadn't thought of it :)

You're welcome. I'm still fairly new to the Savvy platform, but I'm loving it. They're tough, can be made to handle and can be made totally unique! There's so much out there for them, and now there's Lexan guards invented by you! ;)

Tug, is it ducting air where you want it, to enhance cooling, or is it limiting airflow?

I was wondering if its actually not going to permit the through flow of air that you had previously, and the motor / ESC may get warmer than before.

Al.

::edit::

That explanation sucked. Air from the lower front of the chassis and air from under the shell will have limited flow of where it should be able to leave with least resistance, which are, in mirror image, the same as the front....i think. I'm not sure lol, with the flowtek shell, the back of it tapers down towards the motor, so it should blow over that area and leave at the lower part of the chassis, where the lower arms attatch to the bulkhead.

Edited by Huktonfonics

Tug, is it ducting air where you want it, to enhance cooling, or is it limiting airflow?

I was wondering if its actually not going to permit the through flow of air that you had previously, and the motor / ESC may get warmer than before.

Al.

Don't look at me! It ain't my thread! ;)

Good point!!

'HF', over to you ....

Same question.

Al.

::edit::

That explanation sucked. Air from the lower front of the chassis and air from under the shell will have limited flow of where it should be able to leave with least resistance, which are, in mirror image, the same as the front....i think. I'm not sure lol, with the flowtek shell, the back of it tapers down towards the motor, so it should blow over that area and leave at the lower part of the chassis, where the lower arms attatch to the bulkhead.

Lol thats as good an answer ive got, till i take her out again. But I'm sure i can make the air go where it needs, with a little creativity ;)