• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Zombi's Axial Yeti

Zombi

Also, even though I've updated the firmware of the Castle ESC it was still thermaling whilst crawling, and despite it being cold out today.  So i've ordered a 12t pinion as I'm told that should take care of that. I'll lose some top end, but it'll give more torque and hopefully stop the shutdowns.

That looks very Mad Max that does. Me likey very much.

As for the Desperado/Badlands combo, I have them on my Carnage and they just GRIP! Great tyres.

• 2 weeks later...

Sure no problem. So are we talking required upgrades or the optional stuff done just because i wanted to?

I need to post up some more pics and do an update, especially after RRCi Nationals the other weekend. I'll do that shortly.  I've upgraded a few more parts...

Recent upgrades:

- MIP rear driveshaft

- HD gears - front stock ratio, rear underdrive (used marine grease for the lot, including transmisison which was all but dry!)

- 12t pinion to help with torque and thermal issues before i upgrade the electronics

- Werty Made steel bumper with additional light mountings

- Rear shock oil changed to 30wt

- Lighting being worked on, managed to stash an 800mah 3S in the fuel cell. Rear lights done, buckets and vanquish stuff on order

Various recent pics below.

wlN9skj.jpg
cqCbEjU.jpg
GGZKcYT.jpg
qcN0m8Z.jpg
AZ2Bz75.jpg
C83ZOPD.jpg
VSjvcdb.jpg
447Lddo.jpg
XF2UUs6.jpg
mOFIfJ2.jpg

gWNTzL1.jpg
g6GyzpJ.jpg

Decals done, cleaned up, ready for this weekend. Werty bumper and a grille added as you can see.

MmU3FZH.jpg
1uyE5vV.jpg
byADzU2.jpg

Edited by Zombi
  • Like 1

It's great fun to drive. It's nowhere near as good a crawler as the Wraiths, but they can't race/bash like this thing can. And for the Nats, the Yeti was in a sepeprate 2.2 U4 class (as it should be), so didn't have to worry about the pesky Wraiths and their steering throw :)

Well to be fair, the only thing you'll need to immediately upgrade are the the hubs, and at a push the wheels.  The stock wheels are ok, but they loose their bead too often (for me).

And as far as the hubs go, well look what i received today... Axial acknowledged that they messed up the design and have sent these replacements out for free. Included are two sets of hubs for front and back, the aluminium hexes with grub screws and pins. 

So if you get your free hub update, you're all good to run the thing with no upgrading.

wAvijz5.jpg

Edited by Zombi
  • Like 2

I guess it depends on what you want to use it for. Stock motor and ESC are great for general bashing and racing, high speed stuff. But for crawling they're not great due to thermal cutouts. The electrics get too hot when crawing, even with a smaller pinion. I'm with a 12t at the mo, and despite the cold october weather plus having flashed the firmware of the ESC i still got some thermals during the latter part of the 100 gate course at the Nats.

Also, with the stock electrics you tend to get some degree of juddering at really low speed (again, crawling), especially with the stock pinion.

Eventually i will upgrade the motor and ESC to a Pro4 HD and Castle MMP respectively, but for now i want to get some use out of the stock gubbins.

Servo is ok though, not too bad at all considering it comes with the RTR.

EDIT: Oh, and the stock wheels are pants, replace them with some beadlocks. Tyres are ok though. not the best, but they look cool :P

Edited by Zombi

I think it's more to do with not being sensored. All the BEC will do is provide extra juice where it's needed (IE if you were to upgrade the servo with more torque), but the AE-3 ESC has all the voltage it needs.

This week I received my VP Rigid Industries Q-Series lights, rear trailing arms and diff cover.  Slight issue with the trailing arms, but Vanquish dealt with it and are sending me a replacement. As for the lights, well goodness me, I can see why the put a warning about not looking directly into them on the packet.  

As you can see from the below, they're ridiculously bright, so much so they light up half my garden. I changed the way my lighting works and no longer use the battery in the fuel cell. Instead, I draw the power from the main battery using the balance connector.  From that, the wire runs into the fuel cell where I've housed a 5-way JST splitter I made.

The lights are mounted a on a purpose-made brass bracket, sent to me by a friend in the USA.  They're placed there as they're nice and protected from damage and mud. No way I was putting a $100 set of lights on the bumper!

On the top of the fuel cell I added a snazzy switch, so when i want to turn all the lights off I don't need to disconnect wires now.  There aren't any pics of inside the fuel cell, but the switch and splitter are connected to one another by mini deans connectors. I wanted to use connectors as to make it modular and easily repairable should anything break. If I'd soldered the lot all together and something went it'd have been a royal pain to sort out.

Anyway, talk is cheap...

AEHAwvN.jpg
u5fgXvc.jpg
cz6oC47.jpg
XNikk2V.jpg
jbYEGTU.jpg
IEtNKdS.jpg
CwS3Z5a.jpg
QPeNuuH.jpg
azUo5en.jpg
okXJkKY.jpg
kLTyuyO.jpg
F2zU235.jpg
rv2pVXR.jpg
TeWeGJ6.jpg
vwV1n7x.jpg
ehXNRS1.jpg
ZwUv1Xr.jpg

Edited by Zombi
  • Like 1

Some pics from today at Padley Gorge, below.

My day was cut short though as I stripped the plastic gear inside the stock servo. Thus, i've ordered some replacements from the US.  

xnkp5np.jpg
aASD0iO.jpg
9yrlhwO.jpg
7jwacRA.jpg
vuIahvo.jpg
0CN4nUB.jpg
od7oh0d.jpg
pnqef1O.jpg
ARlul2e.jpg
IQ0DPtd.jpg
Xu7MhlR.jpg
Edited by Zombi
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Update time, which I'll do in 2 or 3 parts. I'll add some detail and pics, as when I was looking into Yeti/servo combos the info took some effort to dig up, and I want others to benefit from what I found. So get comfy...

These arrived earlier in the week...

2MXa5gU.jpg

hcYC7AH.jpg

...so I got busy, and first up was the servo. I went for a Savox SB-2270SG which at 7.4v produces 32kg/cm (444oz/in) based on the reviews I'd read elsewhere of how it performed in the Yeti and other crawlers.  The clamping servo horn is from Axial (25T)  http://www.axialracing.com/products/ax30836

sCO93mJ.jpg
F0C23ij.jpg

It was very easy to install using the brackets which attach to the tub, and it all fitted perfectly.  For the turnbuckle I went with a titanium Lunsford 4x35mm along with Traxxas Revo rod ends (part #5347).  Stock turnbuckle is 3mm, but because of the power this servo produces I wanted beefy linkage to make sure nothing stripped out.  And as you can see, there's more beef here than you'll find in you local Toby Carvery!

xStrIZx.jpg
Vb4aH2e.jpg
2AMjcxv.jpg
txQwP6U.jpg

Compared with the stock turnbuckle...

a7e5rDI.jpg

Edited by Zombi

To power that ridiculous servo (which incidentally nearly tore off the front of my Yeti when i was setting my end-points!) I installed a Castle 10a BEC. It can handle up to 6S and has a max output of 9v.

nx1ZoKM.jpg

Rather than solder the BEC power leads directly to the ESC leads at the plug (as many do), and therefore hard-wiring it in, I decided I wanted a more modular approach. So I connected up a mini-deans in-line between the BEC and the ESC cables. This will allow me to detach or just unplug the BEC, useful for when I upgrade my ESC to a Tekin RX8 (which is currently on its way to me).  Here's what I'm on about...

bKTRPbI.jpg
C1VUKmS.jpg
W6ayxBg.jpg

For mounting it up, I considered several options. Fuel cell was a possibility, but I decided against it as it'd just be more wires up there along with my lighting and the switch, plus I'd need to lengthen the cable. Another option was within the waterproof RX compartment, but again decided against this one due to the need for keeping the RX away from electrical interference. Then there was the box beside the transmission which will be for the 2-speed gearbox servo if they ever get around to releasing it. This was a popular choice with some, but for me it was a big no-no, as when i've checked it before it's been soaked and full of muck.

So the natural choice was to use a couple of cable ties and attach it to the underneath of the ESC plate. There's plenty of room and it's tucked away out of mischief.

KJc5Y9Y.jpg
RAwiZxq.jpg
wkeUOKo.jpg

All that remained then was to feed the wires of the servo and BEC into the RX box through the slot - simples.

anbHrcg.jpg
3U7OsPo.jpg

Edited by Zombi

They've missed a trick on the diff guard, that hole should be countersunk so the bolt head doesn't protrude (assuming the material is thick enough to accommodate). Other than that, it's looking used and that is always good :thumbsup: