• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Hawk's TA01 Drifter project

b_hawk111

Got to at least try to guess!

A clue, the model is 4 characters long and only has one letter!

I'll post a photo of it tonight if no ones got it :P

240z 

Haha i would love a real one, so will have to stick with this for now :P

It is the greedy twin turbo version, looks pretty mean :P

Good session tonight dude. Needless to say, the shot to prove that we did use these and not shelf queens!

944677_10151629539492603_843604174_n.jpg

That's a wicked shot!

My shell is definitely not a shelf queen :P

The video of my camera is very shakey but can still make it out :P

Might bring some rubber tyres next time and see if it improves the quality :P

Edited by b_hawk111

a cheeky couple of the new shell :)

IMG_20130514_222808.jpg

IMG_20130514_223028.jpg

And the decals :)

IMG_20130514_223002.jpg

It's quite hard to take photos of something that is see through :P

Also do t know of this will work but there is no rear light buckets, so if I leave the rear light clear, then stick the sticker over it, then mount and led on the inside, it should still light through the sticker, but will still look normal when the light is off, as I'm not sure I could make a light bucket good enough for the back!

All in the planning atm!

That's a wicked shot!

My shell is definitely not a shelf queen :P

The video of my camera is very shakey but can still make it out :P

Might bring some rubber tyres next time and see if it improves the quality :P

I have my camera which has video stabilisation which you could try, little heavier that your camera but might work. Rubber tyres could work actually. Be worth a shot.

Also do t know of this will work but there is no rear light buckets, so if I leave the rear light clear, then stick the sticker over it, then mount and led on the inside, it should still light through the sticker, but will still look normal when the light is off, as I'm not sure I could make a light bucket good enough for the back!

All in the planning atm!

Can you not just mask the inside with something in shape of the sticker but smaller slightly and source buckets from elsewhere?

All in the planning atm!

That will work. Quite a few scalers have rear lights fitted his way. The LEDs are more than bright enough to be seen through the stickers, as long as they aren't foil-backed.

You will still want some form of bucket though, to stop light bleed. The reflectors from cheap small torches work well.

Edited by XV Pilot

I have my camera which has video stabilisation which you could try, little heavier that your camera but might work. Rubber tyres could work actually. Be worth a shot.

Can you not just mask the inside with something in shape of the sticker but smaller slightly and source buckets from elsewhere?

ahh i see, ill give the rubber tyres a go, will grip better so should be able to keep up easier and hopfully be less viby :P 

and i Could but they dont do light buckets for this exact model.

Best i can do is get the tamiya 350za ones, but apprently they dont fit very well :/ 

That will work. Quite a few scalers have rear lights fitted his way. The LEDs are more than bright enough to be seen through the stickers, as long as they aren't foil-backed.

You will still want some form of bucket though, to stop light bleed. The reflectors from cheap small torches work well.

cool thanks for clarifying, the decals are not foil backed, and the light from my phone shines through so should work a treat, I like the idea of torch reflector though, will i need to make the bucket complete all the way round and stuck on the shell to stop any light going elsewhere in the shell? 

Thanks 

Im still sure someone on here was making custom ones upon request. I will need to try and find the topic

Rcbutcher had some led metalic led mounts. If you hot glue those directly to the shell and then apply the decal should be just fine. I'll take a pic of the mount in a few min ;)

Or give me a pm with your adress and I shall sent you two of those free of charge :)

Look:

IMG_0094.jpg IMG_0095.jpg

They are for 3mm led's, so if you stick in there 2 red led's hot glue them directly to the shell and then apply decal... should be just fine ;)

I have only 2 spares left, I could donate you these two... so ...

Oh cool, son of I hot glue then in the inside, led then inside them and decal on the outside should work nice!

If you have got two spare that would be spot on!

I'll pm you my address later on

So i have been chatting with rcbutcher about getting my light kit sorted and I think i have it decided what im getting :D 

and this evening I have just been starting to prep my new shell, starting to cut it out and stuff :) 

I also put my order of paint in today :) so any guesses on the colour scheme? 

Ive got two for main colour, and one for backing :P 

last question do i start with the dark colours then do the light ones and then back over that?

here it is starting to cut it out :)

2013-05-20212656.jpg

Just working on the archs at the moment, taking it easy to get them right, 

tried putting some black inside to show up the shape but it didnt work that well :P

2013-05-20213741.jpg

ill have the arches done this evening, then start applying the masking and get painting :) 

going to practise on  some spare lexan and see how it applys before i crack on with the shell :) 

Yes, darker colours first. 

Be very very careful with the masking! Always be sure it's done properly before applying any coat of paint. Check 10 times and paint once  :harhar:

I thought this would be the case, I think its what i did with my losi shell but i cant remeber that far back! 

Ive ordered some tamiya masking tape too as i have heard its meant to be pretty good, and then shall be getting it masked up, good thing is it comes with pre cut window and headlight masks so only got to try and mask off the rest to make it look good :P 

another question, whats good to clean the inside of the shell with before masking and painting? There is some sticky residue on the inside which needs getting off, so im thinking either some IPA or wd40 and a rag, will either of those harm the lexan? 

Thanks 

Cool thanks! Maybe I'm a bit to mechanical for this painting Lark! :P

Hopfully paint and masking turn up today, so when I get back from drifting later I'll start masking it all off ready for the dark coats!

Aha how long is too long? Will probably be on for a good few days.... I started applying it all last night :P

Here it is cut out with window and headlight masks

IMG_20130523_224303.jpg

And then starting to mask it off :)

IMG_20130523_230425.jpg

Starting to look cool :) going to make some tail light masks out of the excess of the window masks, and maybe some for the indicators too as I might add those on constant on the back, possibly make them both flash like hazards at some point :P

So you boring people never guessed the colour scheme, so here it is on a bit of spare lexan :P

IMG_20130525_210835.jpg

Started spraying it up this evening and it looks wicked, just the black so far, orange will be on tomorrow :)

here was black done and masking coming off :) 

2013-05-25221152.jpg

Masking off 

2013-05-25222146.jpg

then I made rear light and indicator masks, only rough as they will be going under the rear decals

2013-05-27211544.jpg

started spraying the orange :D 

2013-05-27212403.jpg

Little more 

2013-05-27213503.jpg

and done :D 

2013-05-27223150.jpg

2013-05-27223156.jpg

2013-05-27224918.jpg

just one bit where a window mask lifted a little and let some paint under, but i shall be able to sort that if the window decals dont cover it :P

just got to back it now and then sort out the lighting for it :) 

Aha not by next week, still got to get the stealth mounts and get them sorted, and the light kit, and then be brave enough to bring it out! :P