• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Good starter for young kid?

Sgoaty

I had a little brain wave today and im thinking of getting a truck/buggy for my wee boy to play with as an extra/belated christmas present. I work away so im going to miss christmas this year so thought it might be nice for me to have something extra to give him when i get home.

Hes already getting a heap of toys but i thought an RC he could use outdoors would be nice for both of us :)

Hes only 6 so i wouldnt want to get anything too fast but id like something that will take proper battery packs not an endless supply of Double As and something he could use outside without it falling to bits within 5 minutes. Is there anything that would fit the bill for around

This is always a popular question at this time of year - several people have asked it in the General RC section of the forum. You might want to have a look at a few of those threads - there have been some good answers there.

This is always a popular question at this time of year - several people have asked it in the General RC section of the forum. You might want to have a look at a few of those threads - there have been some good answers there.

I did have a look back about as far a 2 weeks and couldnt find anything :(

ill have a look in to the 2 cars suggested. Also is there any easy way to limit the speed on these?

Thanks

Scott

Edit found some more info now :)

Edited by Sgoaty

One of the best ways of slowing a car down for a youngster is to fit a high-turn crawler motor. If you go for one around the 55-turn mark, it'll be nice and slow, with the added benefits of longer runtimes and plenty of torque.

Edited by XV Pilot

I think the Mad Bull makes a great kids' car because of its toughness. Most of the chassis is made of a tough, flexible, rubbery plastic that bends on impact then springs back to shape rather than snapping like the stiffer plastics used on more race-oriented machines.

Another nice thing about it is that the big wheels and tyres make it very capable on rough ground, but if your kid gets older and wants a more grown-up looking buggy, you can fit it with standard-size 2WD buggy wheels and tyres, and it becomes quite a stylish conventional buggy. That's what I did with mine:

buggy010.jpg

I think the Mad Bull makes a great kids' car because of its toughness. Most of the chassis is made of a tough, flexible, rubbery plastic that bends on impact then springs back to shape rather than snapping like the stiffer plastics used on more race-oriented machines.

Another nice thing about it is that the big wheels and tyres make it very capable on rough ground, but if your kid gets older and wants a more grown-up looking buggy, you can fit it with standard-size 2WD buggy wheels and tyres, and it becomes quite a stylish conventional buggy. That's what I did with mine:

buggy010.jpg

I can't stand them :lol: Tamiya's aren't for me :lol:

i got my boy, who is also 6, a hbx massive truck. its brushed but quick enough for him, but also slow enough to let him play with it on his own(although i'm always with him when he's playing with it. he likes to look at the workings,lol), but, the choice again i would go for a truggy. amore stable than a truck and can get places a buggy can't.

hope he enjoy's whatever you decide bud :thumbsup: , i'm sure he will

I have the maverick strada xb evo - the buggy version. Also with brushed motor (second one...) and 5000 pack. My 5 year old finds it too quick at times. I think you'll be fine. The front shock towers bend plenty easily enough when hitting the curb without needing more speed on top!

If you have bought the brushed version the ESC will not have the low voltage cutoff needed to use a lipo with it. So you would either need to fit a low voltage protector thingy now, or convert the drivetrain perhaps to a brushless esc/motor combo

I would keep the nimh battery. It will be plenty quick enough. Then see what breaks. Wait for the first motor to burn out, then consider changing. I just went for another brushed motor.

Jari