• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

HPI Bullet Owners Club

.AJ.

Your truck looks great with the Traxxas wheels/tires!  If you smash up your stock body, Stampede 2wd/4wd bodies fit great.  A few of us on URC forums are using E-Maxx shocks with a bit of modification (not much).   Anyway,  sounds like you have it covered, happy bashing.

Your truck looks great with the Traxxas wheels/tires!  If you smash up your stock body, Stampede 2wd/4wd bodies fit great.  A few of us on URC forums are using E-Maxx shocks with a bit of modification (not much).   Anyway,  sounds like you have it covered, happy bashing.

Could you give link to shocks preferred for bullet? Did you go back with 8 or just 4? I can see the bullet stocks making it into the savage xs!

These are the ones I bought, they are from a chop-shop that disassembles rc's and sells all the parts separately.  This one is in the US, Dollarhobbyz.

http://www.dollarhobbyz.com/traxxas/e-maxx/traxxas-1-10-e-maxx-shocks.html

If you're in the UK, there may be one like Dollarhobbyz but I don't know the name.  Maybe someone else could help you find one near you.

All I did to attach them was swap out the bottom balls (take the ones from bullet's shocks and put them in the Traxxas ones).  Then the top has to have some spacers to get the angle/spacing right,  you can't use that cone spacer with them so you'll have to use ~10mm's worth or less.  The end result is really good---they're stiffer (good for landing high jumps)--but can be tuned just right for your purpose.  One guy on the forum used the Traxxas aluminum "big bore" shocks for the Emaxx and he really likes them.  If you can get either set for a good price, I'd do it.  And if you do, I can help you with a good shock setup that really makes the Bullet handle well. 

Edited by tman4wdr

These are the ones I bought, they are from a chop-shop that disassembles rc's and sells all the parts separately.  This one is in the US, Dollarhobbyz.

http://www.dollarhobbyz.com/traxxas/e-maxx/traxxas-1-10-e-maxx-shocks.html

If you're in the UK, there may be one like Dollarhobbyz but I don't know the name.  Maybe someone else could help you find one near you.

All I did to attach them was swap out the bottom balls (take the ones from bullet's shocks and put them in the Traxxas ones).  Then the top has to have some spacers to get the angle/spacing right,  you can't use that cone spacer with them so you'll have to use ~10mm's worth or less.  The end result is really good---they're stiffer (good for landing high jumps)--but can be tuned just right for your purpose.  One guy on the forum used the Traxxas aluminum "big bore" shocks for the Emaxx and he really likes them.  If you can get either set for a good price, I'd do it.  And if you do, I can help you with a good shock setup that really makes the Bullet handle well.

Thanks man. I am in US and live in south GA. I have bought many things from Dollar Hobbyz and just ordered those shocks. Appreciate the extra effort on the help. Will update

Ok just ran my newly rebuilt Bullet for first time. Run great, very fast and low. Have better shocks ordered to get trucks stance up some because nose of truck is diving when let off throttle. Probably always has but is more noticeable now that it's lower. Was very happy with all except the noise of the steel spur but still very pleased. Great top end and still good acceleration. Now for bad part, after ten min of running stopped to check and motor is too hot to touch. Never had motor issues before. Here's specs as stock and now

Stock: 54t spur slipper clutch 10t pinion 3.2" wheels

Now: 46t center diff 10t pinion and 2.8" wheels

I thought I would be close to same with all changes but obviously not. What am I missing? I don't mind sowing it down some to ensure my motor doesn't run too hot. Am I going to be able to adjust this out with pinion or have to change spur or tires?

Yeah man, 8t pinion would help for sure.  Fan/heatsink for motor....or a true 540/550 motor.  Bigger motors help dissipate heat better and power the Bullet with less strain.  Couple guys use this....

http://www.valuehobby.com/power-systems/brushless-motors/inrunner-car/4-pole-inrunner/gforce-3650sl-inrunner-kv4300.html

On 3s only, I use this 550/3200kv motor...

http://www.valuehobby.com/power-systems/brushless-motors/inrunner-car/4-pole-inrunner/gforce-3660-4-pole-inrunner-kv3200.html

For 2s the 4000kv 36x60 would be much better

I don't know if you're looking to change out your motor, it's just that the Flux Shot motor can be strained with tall gearing in the heavy Bullet.  Those are good budget options above...and the 550's have a 5mm output shaft which opens up many possibilities for mod1 pinions.  But to run the 550 should require a more powerful esc, 540 would still be fine.   I have used my Flux shot motor in 2wd Evader and Bandit, it's awesome in those light vehicles!

Ok so the 8t is ordered but I guess I will start looking at options for motor/ESC change out. I have few of these brushless vehicles and all are stock motors and esc. Would there be a way to maybe change one of the bigger ones out and kind of pass down to the next one as an upgrade. For example if I changed both in bullet could I then put it in my savage xs and would it be an upgrade?

I have Vorza Flux, Slash Ultimate, Bullet Flux, Savage XS and Sprint 2 Pro/Flux. I am also looking for a Apache Flux to replace the Slash.

If not able to do this what would be the ideal motor esc combo for the bullet. And yes I run 2s and 3s

Thanks

Hmmm, yeah man, I see what you mean.  No need to have expensive brushless systems just laying around.  Nice rc collection btw!

I think that the flux reload/shot would do ok in savage xs...it would be a downgrade from vapor/vector, but on 2s it would still rock pretty good and 3s would be off the chart.  The xs is a little lighter than Bullet?  If so, it would certainly be under less strain.  The vapor esc in the Bullet would do fine with 2s but 3s is pushing it...just like the reload.  I mean, this all depends on driving style, terrain, etc.  When I did my Bullet esc/motor upgrade I went for a combo that would handle 3s exclusively.  I went with Hobbywing wpsc8 and Gforce 36x60mm/3200kv.  They're both fine with 3s even with 15/46 gears,lol. 

To get more power and more reliability especially for 3s, I would first go to a true 540 motor, +- 4000kv that can handle 3s.  It will dissipate heat better and be under less strain and also you should be able to stay with 10-12 + pinion even with 46 spur. The reload esc should be ok with that (<140F)...if not it should be swapped out for an 80 amp + esc.  If you end up with reload/shot collecting dust, it's a wicked combo in a 1/10 stadium truck or buggy.  I had it in my Bandit and bl Evader, it was awesome in both of those lighter rc's. 

Thanks man. I just started RC's about four months ago and dove in head first. I like to work on and upgrade them as much as I like to drive them. My kids love them so I got us 3 1/18 MT's for Christmas and they are a blast!! Thinking I am going to get the Apache and pass that system into the bullet, bullet system into the xs and figure out a way to put the xs stuff in the 1/18 mini recon!! (Would be awesome but last part is a joke). Then would just need to find the baddest combo I could to go in the apache.

Thanks for the time of answering my questions. Always nice to hear someone else's opinion

Me too, dove (back) in after a 15 year break.  Brushless/lipo drew me back about a year and half ago and I've been addicted ever since.  Brought my wife and 3 1/2 yr old with me too.  It's a blast when you get to do it with your son.  Like being a kid again!  I built my boy a Son Uva Digger and he runs that into everything,lol.

There's a great Bullet thread over on URC forums in the "Stadium trucks and 1/10 buggies" section.   I've read a few guys building up Apache C1's with  D8T suspension running 5,6s.  I think they call them a C1 Smash....awesome looking rigs there...like the ultimate basher.

Anyway, I have the same name over at URC if you ever stop by.  Best luck with your Bullet, and I'd like to hear how it finishes up.

my order from asiatees arrived in only 5 days to uk.

n9oy.jpg

my advice is if anyone buy from there do not mix them Top cad with GPM , the colour is not the same and the parts are different . i bought the wishbones from GPM , hub cariers from top cad and the hubs sits to tight.

i will bring some more photos after i install them

Edited by os_x_spike

What wt shock oil are most of you running? Need to rebuild mine and want to get it right.

I'm using 25wt and stiffer springs as set to balance. I can say that the car stays on the 4 wheels longer than the stock settings. But i think that it all depends of the use. Want to make high speeds or the car is mostly on the air?

im not really going to have an issue with heat as im not running the stock setup, i have a 80a esc and 3656 motor. the main issue i was thinking of is that the drive train wouldnt handle 3s...

Could you show me your esc and motor plz?? I