• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

HPI Trophy Truggy and Buggy Owners Club!

henzy190

Having a bit of trouble with my 3 shoe clutch conversion :( I've put everything back together as it came off and everything spins freely, shimmed nicely, but now that I've put the engine back in the clutch bell sits about 2mm further forward, the back of the gears are just about flush with each other. Is this normal or have I done something wrong? Thanks in advance :)

What shoes are they? what flywheel?  is the CB also new? Does the CB cover the shoes completely?

any one of these can cause the issue.

My bet is the flywheel. If so you should be able to remove a shim from behind it. (Not the Collet!).  Make sure your clutchbell covers your shoes completely too ;)

Personally I prefer to have my CB centred with the spur.  There are exceptions to this being possible but imo you should try as your CB will last longer this way.  You may need extra shims to make this possible.  If you buy some , please do go ahead and get 0.1, 0.2 + 0.3's you really will appreciate having various thicknesses.  Especially so with a Clutch install.

Pics would help more. :good:

Edited by Deafty
  • Like 1

I am expecting arrival tomorrow of a 3.5 trophy bought off ebay. Obviously buying new would mean i would know how the engine had been cared for but i couldnt do this. So anything else i should do or add to the list below would you recommend?

I plan to tune the car by going back to factory settings and then following the guide from this site.

I will buy after run oil and air filter oil. Also new glow plugs.

I am also after a transmitter and recever with built in failsafes. These will be second hand.

I will check the car over looking for any broken or loose parts and screws etc.

Anything that i have missed?

Thank you.

What shoes are they? what flywheel?  is the CB also new? Does the CB cover the shoes completely?

any one of these can cause the issue.

My bet is the flywheel. If so you should be able to remove a shim from behind it. (Not the Collet!).  Make sure your clutchbell covers your shoes completely too ;)

Personally I prefer to have my CB centred with the spur.  There are exceptions to this being possible but imo you should try as your CB will last longer this way.  You may need extra shims to make this possible.  If you buy some , please do go ahead and get 0.1, 0.2 + 0.3's you really will appreciate having various thicknesses.  Especially so with a Clutch install.

Pics would help more. :good:

It has the plastic hpi clutch shoes 101199 and a HB lightning flywheel I've removed all of the shims after the flywheel and put them on the end which has made a very slight improvement but its still off of centre on the spur.

The clutch bell does cover the shoes well?

I would post a pic but my pc is broken and I can't upload photos from my iPhone :(

You can go on the tutorial section and it will tell you how to upload pics from a phone, tablet and a computer 

Guys there is a ton of info in this thread and a lot of folks ask questions that if you just took 10 minutes to read the first 10 or so pages you would have the answers you need ..Most simple stuff is in the manual it's self .. The thread gets stupidly long as guys just CBA to read a few pages or the manual !!.. So if you think your post are getting ignored or guys just aren't answering with all the info, your usually find it's because they just CBA to keep repeating them selves as you guys CBA to take the time to read a little manual or the first few pages..

It's great to have fresh blood to help and keep the thread alive, but come on just take a little while to sit back and have a read and a think.. Then if your still stuck you have a little knowledge of whats wrong and why and it makes it so much easier to help you guys  

If you guys really CBA to have a look first then some of the guys really WBA to help  

• Like 2

I do already have one, thought there would be some helpful people on here, was I wrong? Over 600 pages is a lot to read through!

lots of helpful people on here dude especially mydoddy, theres not much he doesnt know about the truggy, be kind to him and he could be very kind and helpful in return, just a thought, anything you wanna know just ask away : )

Just to clarify,. robhart84 is upset about not getting a response,..not Steve H.  I found his post "task specific" though more info was needed.  @ Steve H,.I'll get back to you mate.

A simple thanks goes a long way guys.

FYI:

There are 4 members on here who offer help.  MyDoddy, myself, Rusty and now Aussie Truggy is starting to give back after his learning curve.  I ask the rest of you,..are you gonna give back what u learn or just take!?

• Like 3

I am expecting arrival tomorrow of a 3.5 trophy bought off ebay. Obviously buying new would mean i would know how the engine had been cared for but i couldnt do this. So anything else i should do or add to the list below would you recommend?

I plan to tune the car by going back to factory settings and then following the guide from this site.

I will buy after run oil and air filter oil. Also new glow plugs.

I am also after a transmitter and recever with built in failsafes. These will be second hand.

I will check the car over looking for any broken or loose parts and screws etc.

Anything that i have missed?

Thank you.

~Dont forget to add the spacers to your suspension.. unless you want a really low ride, and also get a decent nitro starter set and decent fuel

Edited by boombox
  • Like 1

Just to clarify,. robhart84 is upset about not getting a response,..not Steve H.  I found his post "task specific" though more info was needed.  @ Steve H,.I'll get back to you mate.

FYI:

There are 4 members on here who offer help.  MyDoddy, myself, Rusty and now Aussie Truggy is starting to give back after his learning curve.  I ask the rest of you,..are you gonna give back what u learn or just take!?

Once I know what I'm doing I'll happily help out others when and where I can but atm I'm still learning, hence I stripped the 3x8 screw on the end of the crankshaft :( I'll be investing in some good hex keys now lol

I give the truggy a run earlier and all seems to work ok, so I think I may leave it as it is even though its not perfect and get a lrp zr30 ready for when the new clutch dies and try again ;):D

A big thanks to you Deafty, Mydoddy69, Aussie truggy and everyone for their advise :thumbsup:

Is there anything special or specific that anyone thinks I may need to fit the lrp zr30?

Hey All,

I'm new to the site and new to nitro, used to race electric over 10 years ago, any way bought myself a Trophy Truggy 4.6 and just thought id say hi and see if people have any tips or recommend any upgrades over the standard setup. Also are there many peeps in the surrey area? I live in Epsom myself.

Only taken it out a couple of times first time resulted in breaking the front left part of the car costing me

Hi Boombox.

Thanks for the reply.

I planned to get the HPI starter set that includes the glow starter and fuel bottle along with a few spanners.

Is there a lot of difference between fuels? The shop i go to sell technics, byron and hpi fuel at different percentages which i guess is a good selection.

Cheers.

Once I know what I'm doing I'll happily help out others when and where I can but atm I'm still learning, hence I stripped the 3x8 screw on the end of the crankshaft :( I'll be investing in some good hex keys now lol

I give the truggy a run earlier and all seems to work ok, so I think I may leave it as it is even though its not perfect and get a lrp zr30 ready for when the new clutch dies and try again ;):D

A big thanks to you Deafty, Mydoddy69, Aussie truggy and everyone for their advise :thumbsup:

Is there anything special or specific that anyone thinks I may need to fit the lrp zr30?

There's a few things you need to fit the ZR30, you need to mod the engine mount a little you can go about it a couple of ways 1st just use some 3mm aluminium flat bar to make up some spacers to sit on top of engine mount to raise up the motor as the big block 30 is a tall motor! 2nd you can buy all new motor mounts and motor mount plates ( mine are from king headz in the USA )

You also need a clutch and clutch bell I used the LRP 3 shoe race clutch and bell with stock gearing you also need new exaust it seams a lot but you'll love it once it's done!

I use the zr30 spec2 motor and it's fast really fast and really reliable holds it tune well and east to tune!

I can post a couple of pics or any other info on the convertion if you need it

Edited by Aussie truggy

First up my post was not aimed at anyone it was just an observation of the post over the last few pages 

Apologies to steve-H if you thought i was aiming it at you as it was not.. I was going to quote your post but changed my mind just forgot to rewrite it before posting..

Rob fella it's great you introduced yourself and invited guys for a meet if no one takes your offer it may be they don't know you or just don't live close or want to meet a complete stranger in a field with an expensive model, there are a lot of nutters around unfortunately this day and age.. If you click on a link from the first page you'd know some are still good and some not so you could then have come back and asked.  This model has been around for quite some years now so if the threads still going like the model chances are, so are the upgrades on the first few pages . Don't just leave as someone has given you a funny answer it was more than likely just meant as a bit of fun.. One thing i will say is this hobby will take more than just 10% of the left over free time you have to spare ..  

?All i was asking is that guys sit back take an  hour to have a read of this thread you don't have to read it all that's plain madness, just a few pages and the manual first before steaming in.. If you read the all important first page it gives a list of upgrades, weak spots and so on and there is even a review by the great thread starter himself henzy190 

So come on guys have a read then your be surprised how many guys will jump in and help if you ask a half answered question rather than just a list of links 

All the best  :thumbsup: 

Thanks for replying. I wont go on but i just want to say that i wasn't asking to meet up straight away with random strangers i was justtrying to introduce myself. I can also appreciate that this hobby takes up quite a bit of time as it took me two evenings to strip and rebuild after one trip out.

anyway, thanks again for replying

FYI:

I do my bit when I can, im relatively new to the hobby myself so im not gonna go giving out shifty advice, but im more than happy to share what I have learned so far , a lot of which I owe to mydoddy. ( thanks man ).

Thanks for replying. I wont go on but i just want to say that i wasn't asking to meet up straight away with random strangers i was justtrying to introduce myself. I can also appreciate that this hobby takes up quite a bit of time as it took me two evenings to strip and rebuild after one trip out.

anyway, thanks again for replying

No worriers fella i take it your using good old Mick Charles ?? although the guy never seems to have stock of anything i want and seems a right miserable old bugger he does now his stuff .. Oh and you got Addelstone models the other way tiny but cheap and helpful just on the high street ..Mind you i haven't been there for some time now .. So yes i'm in and around your neck of the woods 

Hi Boombox.

Thanks for the reply.

I planned to get the HPI starter set that includes the glow starter and fuel bottle along with a few spanners.

Is there a lot of difference between fuels? The shop i go to sell technics, byron and hpi fuel at different percentages which i guess is a good selection.

Cheers.

The main difference is the nitro content and oil content. Its best to stick to the same kind of fuel or your more than likely going to have to retune, i started off with 20% for the first litre then jumped to 25% after the break in

Thanks Boombox.

I dont know what its been run on before so i am gonna have to play it by ear. Hoping it actually works when it arrives!! And looking forward to tuning it so thats not an issue.

Cheers.

Hopefully it all runs smoothly for you :)

@ SteveH:

So you've re shimmed and it's made negligible difference with the end position of the CB. hmm.  Have you removed the flywheel?  if not it may pay to do so as there are usually shims behind that too ;)  Mine was second hand and had 2 thicker shims there.

If you have removed the flywheel u would have noticed a Collet that sits behind it on the shaft.  This could easily be a contributing factor too.  As the more u tighten the flywheel nut the further down the fly wheel will sit.

I hope that kinda helps ya,. but again pics tell a thousand words an I apologize for not referencing any.  There are however loads of u tube vids on this entire assembly and they are pretty much the same across all nitro models ;)

@ robhart84:

Please don't be offended by anyones response or lack of :lol: .  For the last 2-4 months the only people offering replies were honestly only MyDoddy and myself.  Until 2-3 days ago that is.  Others have either thought best to let some one else reply or didn't know the best response.  now there's a flood of offerings that I must say are warmly welcomed :good:

I don't claim to know all the answers as I'm only back in this Hobby for 18 months now after a 20+year gap!  I will say however that I have likely spent more time on my TT than most would even consider.  Why? because I have the time and wanted to set out and make it as strong as possible without spending loads of cash and developing my own albeit stupid little ideas on little mods etc.

You asked for upgrades for the TT nitro... Do you have a budget in mind? What are you hoping to achieve?,.--speed?,strength?. handling?, reliability? a combination?  from there not only I but we can provide you with our recommendations. :)

I will add that depending on how your truck is setup: camber shock positions, diffs etc. etc. will alter where "weak points" develop.

The most common and annoying part on the trophy/lightning imo is the Steering knuckles.  There are solutions but imo this part is best upgraded to alloy from asiatees (because they are affordable ~21 US)  the original ones however aren't!

If u are interested in other parts from the Trophy Buggy (TB) on asiatees just post a quick q with linkie.  Most fit, but there are exceptions (and mods ;))

I have had mine installed with well over 20hrs runtime on 5s lipo without the slightest sign of faliure! :sweatdrop: 

I hope that kinda helps ya a bit.