• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

nitro pullstart help

eamo1978

Ive nearly finished building a 1/8 buggy up and have a picco .21 engine on order with the pullstart. I chose pullstart because it doesnt involve carrying a huge starter box or a rotostart round with me. Only trouble is ive found pullstarts to be touch and go in the past. The main problem is after a while they pull out but dont recoil back into the engine again. So basically im asking all those with experience why it does this? and for any tips to ensure my pullstart works correctly and functions for a long time? i know they arent built as well for nitros as they are for fg's etc but maybe im doing something wrong when trying to start the models or maybe theres some kind of maintenance i should do regularly to keep the pullstart in good working order? any advice is appreciated!

Edited by eamo1978

sounds like you could be pulling it out to far you only need a max of 12" pull , im converting back from roto starts to pull starts as roto starts are knackering the 1 way bearings and find quick 6" pulls works great

i use long slow strokes to prime it then when thats done the short fast strokes to start it

once you get the knack of them even a hard to start engine starts :good:

Edited by Stormbringer

I like priming bulbs or fuel filters with a built in primer, couple of squeezes and its done. Some blow down the pressure line, finger over exhaust is also an easy method but can take a little while to get the fuel through sometimes.

as above and these finger over the exhaust and pull the cord till you see fuel at carb , or finger over exhaust and flip fuel lid open and let shut again till fuel enters the carb

The best way too start a nitro engine, is to remove the glow plug and prime it has you would normally and flood the engine, by this I mean keep priming until you see fuel flying out of the engine.

Insert the glow plug, glow starter and fire it up.

Works first time every time for me!!!

Have a go

Edited by HUNTER.P