• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Custom 9s HayMonster XXL Savage FLUX Build

Josh1A1H

hide - i havent ordered from hobby king... what was your experience with them?

When the lipos came were they ok?

are they still charging and balancing right?

Did you incurr any customs charges?

How long did they take to arrive?

do they come from the states or HongKong?

The only other lipos i have found that are cheap are battmann lipos from hongkong which are renamed turnigys....

I haven't actually got lipos from there yet. But a guy I race with solely uses them and I've borrowed a few on race days and they perform well. They are good cells and the Hobbyking service is good.

I ordered my motor for my mini Revo from there. It arrived in about a week (standard shipping), very well packaged and they gave me some free stickers too. No customs charge. They come from Hong Kong.

hide - i havent ordered from hobby king... what was your experience with them?

When the lipos came were they ok?

are they still charging and balancing right?

Did you incurr any customs charges?

How long did they take to arrive?

do they come from the states or HongKong?

The only other lipos i have found that are cheap are battmann lipos from hongkong which are renamed turnigys....

made a few orders from Hobbywing so I feel i can answer these questions for you.

Lipos (and everything else I have bought were fine!)

They still charge and balance as well as my 70 quid lipos

No customs Charges, You have the option of marking down

My orders have all taken around a week on the cheapest postage

They came from Hong Kong

That said, They have just moved warehouse and people are experiencing issues now apparently!?

ill place an order soon...

Thanks guns and madness

Just ordered the bad lands and some new rubber tube things to replace the soft fuel tubing in the shocks...

Just weighed the truck again...

The complete truck (motor, tranny + body) Without wheels and lipos the truck weighs 9.47lbs

+ SPI Rims = 2.6lbs

+ Lipos 1.7 lbs

= 13.77lbs or 6.2kg

Thats not bad for a fat truck!!!! i thought i was in the low 14lbs range! Considering other trucks i have seen using my chassis are in the 8kg range! im quite impressed... If i took my spi rims off and use Dish rims it would save me 240grams on the total weight!

The truck is going through a rebuild at the moment... getting it ready for the meet on the 30th

Replacing diff oil

Rebuilding shocks

Re Loctiting everything

Re setting camber and toe for the new badlands so they wear evenly (i think this is why my dirt bonz popped)

loc tited my servo saver as it kept on coming lose and then i would have no steering.

Opened and cleaned out the ESC as it was very dusty and had some stones in it. (I would put some sort of cover over it but i would prefer to clean it once in a while rather than increase chances of over heating it.

I will upload some pics of my tranny after the destruction! (New lightweight gears installed now)

I removed my dirt claws off my spi rims using the boiling method. Worked very well actually apart from ruining the finish on the alu rims.

Also i have some images of two of my tires which i hope are salvageable as they tore when i was removing them from the rims :(

i may try and swap out my high speed idler and return to normal and see if my truck can do some standing backflips :) but my top speed will fall from 55mph to 40mph...confused.gif ill try it anyway and see how it behaves.

Edited by Josh1A1H

im getting so frustrated... First my alloy servo horn breaks and the day after my pinion shreds...

My pinion was a hardened one, much stronger than stock.... and i know these parts wear but not after 8-10 runs!!!

What are people experiences with stronger pinions... what is THE BEST? I am happy to pay more money for something that wont wear too quickly.

Thanks

Took the car out yesterday on the new badlands...

But one of the strapped tires came unstrapped so as i type this i am boiling it off the rim, and going to restrap it.

Nice choice of music :lol:

"I wanna **** you in the..." :whistling:

You don't seem to be having much luck with tire strapping. Tire manufacturers should really try putting steel cable of something in the tire to stop ballooning.

Also, how did you manage to break an allow servo horn?!

Josh thats really, really mental!!! Nice music too, very tasteful :lol:

Take it the badlands do a good job on the grass then? Certainly seem to grip well from the vid.

Don't know what servo horn you're using at the moment (haven't read all the posts so may have missed it), but I've started using the Hot Bodies ones recently which look to be made from something like stainless steel and very strong indeed it seems.

Might be worth trying Kershaw Designs for some pinions.

Thanks gramps,

Yea badlands are doing nicely.... although when i removed one of my tires from the rim the other day to restrap the tyre, i may have shaved a little too much of the lip of the tire and now its making it easier to come off the rim... May have to buy some more.....

I was using a regular, standard alu horn... I bought a decent ansmann one but it was interfering with my motor mount. Ive placed an order for a new one, so we will see how that goes when it arrives.

Pinions,Spurs, Tranny, are a weak point at the moment!

I think i am going to have to get rid of the tranny as there are too many possibilities of it failing! I will look into a centre diff setup soon but i am not sure if ill like the way it handles by unloading power to the front and exploding my front tires??? Plus i will look at kershaw for pinions but i am a bit wary of his service as many dont like him.....

Very true revo, companies need to do some r&d and work out a way of inserting some sort of wire into tires... i dont think my badlands would be able to manage the wire wrapped around it...

had an hour free so put together a small compilation vid of what has been recorded so far.... enjoy...

im currently looking into a centre slip diff to replace my tranny... Just looking for appropriate mounts etc... once i stop stripping gears etc... 9s will be coming... watch this space

Edited by Josh1A1H

rw racing... thats what i am using now, and i am going through them quickly...

I was thinking of using plastic spurs so if they fail:

1. It would be easy and quick to replace

2. Plastic spurs are quite cheap and there a loads around

Ill see what happens... im seriously looking into this centre diff idea.

Thanks though hide... I missed your post on bashing in pinner... next time you got some time (when my car is running) i would def be up just for running the cars anywhere...

no i dont think i am...it runs fine, i think its just the torque of the motor and predominately running on grass which can cause more strain on the gears...

I hate the transmission of the savage... Too many variables which can go wrong! Centre diff will be the way forward. Just need to sort out a mount.

I know what you mean about the flexing off the mounting plate though. A guy i know keeps stripping his due to this problem.

http://www.rc-monster.com/proddetail.php?prod=5mmmod1pinion

For a center diff you could mock something up from this: http://www.rc-monster.com/proddetail.php?prod=rcmcdmm

I ditched my CD idea after just trying to find a way to mount it. Also very limited gearing options since the TVP space is quite narrow. Just got a Muggy for a CD basher.:wub:

Thanks a lot for the links... I was actually this evening using rcmonster asking about the slipperential and that exact mount. I was also pointed out to those pinions and i will put an order in for one, once the diff mount arrives back in stock... Hows your truck coming along??? anything new? would you consider the slipperential?

thanks bazza... all help is appreciated, ill look into them.

@vort3x.... the reason i am looking at the slipperential is because its much smaller than most CDs... i also heard that the slipperential only works with the unversal mount if you use either the 46 or 58t pinions. I would probably use the 46 and gear the pinion accordingly... Im hoping they have plastic spurs so it doesnt wear my pinion out...

So a little update on the truck and whats been going on.....

I have been having a lot of problems recently with my steering:

- Getting full throw (motor mount is in the way so needed to relocate the servo

- Stripping 2 alloys servo horns (dont know how)

- Ripped the plastic steering bar that connects to both steering rods and steering posts! (Replaced with a metal one and screws continouslly fall out!)

willl get pics of this up tonight.

Problems with the tranny holding together and pinions stripping:

DSC00314.jpg

Tires blowing

DSC00317.jpg

I also destroyed one of my HD Axle extenders (will get pics later) i think i overtightened the bolt and it just snapped off were the thread was!

Some pics of the truck at the moment

DSC00326.jpg

DSC00330.jpg

DSC00323.jpg

Too solve my Steering issues, i was going to get the Golden Horizons Steering Bell Crank Servo saver steering assembly... Has anyone got any comments to make on it? and where is the cheapest place to get one as they are quite expensive... ebay???

2042.jpg

Also to avoid the problems i am currently having, i am looking into a Centre Diff and mount... Probably going to go with a slipperential. Should change the way the truck handles a little and also get rid of the weak tranny that keeps blowing. If it cant handle the 6s how will it handle 9s!!!!!

Anyway here is a new extremely short vid of the truck at the woods near me. I only got 3 jumps in before the steering assembly broke on me! But the day before i was doing 10-12ft high jumps and experiencing very bad landings and everything was fine on the truck. Its holding up to abuse very very well... The only weakpoints i have found currently are the steering and tranny.

Edited by Josh1A1H

Got some more pics... And need some help...

Anyway here is the result after overtightening the nut on my axle... Drove 10 seconds and literally fell off.

DSC00408.jpg

I have been having bad steering problems recently... Mainly because my motor mount is getting in the way of my servo horn. So i had to move my servo outside of the TVPs... So i had to do a custom temporary job and wondering what else i could use which is stronger and more reliable... Some pics of what i have had to do...

DSC00339.jpg

DSC00340.jpg

I was also experiencing steering throw problems and found out i was being obstructed by my steering bar... So i found where it was hitting and dremeled it to work properly... here is what the after math after one cart wheel

DSC00409.jpg

This is why i have decided to go with the GH steering assembly....

But has anyone got any advice one what i can do to replace the temporary screw that goes between my servo saver and my servo? What other things would you use?

I am thinking once i put my centre diff in and mount the motor off the motor plate, then i will be able to return the steering servo back within the tvps and use the stock connecting arm, but for now i need something else.

why do you not like the slipperential?

how much smaller is it compared to a normal diff?

Is it a good quality design?

How much have you used it?

What spur does it come with?

Does it have the hardened steel end caps?

Where did you buy it from?

Do you think it will be able to handle 9s!!!

Sorry about all the questions but i am interested in taking it off you...

any pics???

Edited by Josh1A1H

It doesn't fit properly in my 8ight, because the spur is bigger than stock and I can't be bothered to order one from the US :lol:

Same size pretty much, little bulkier in the middle.

Top work I must say. Its a great piece of machining. Its also easy to fill with oil without adjusting the slipper setting.

I used it once in the garden, the main reason for getting rid is the fitting.

52t Steel.

The plate is hardened steel but the end cap is aluminium.

I bought it from Nick (admin on here) who ran it in his RC8Te for a month or two.

I can't see why not. Its all metal and is far stronger than any plastic centre diff.

I cleaned it all and filled with new 10k oil and it hasn't been used since. Also fitted new slipper pads.

could you take some pics for me please?

Considering i am a fellow MSUK user whistling.gif what very decent price would you like to give it to me for? (bearing in mind i am very low on cash at the moment rolleyes.gif

I guess when i eventually order the RCM Mount, i would order the hardened steel end caps as i doubt the aluminium would last very long.

I guess with a bit of shimming i can get the slipperential to work with the Mount.

I think i would also need to order a 46t spur as the 50 will cause similar probs for me too......

I could pick it up and pay at the next meet? or we could meet up and run the cars within the next 2 weeks and i could get it then???

I'm free on Thursday and Friday all day if you'd like to meet. Would save postage and paypal.

I'll get it out of the car and take some photos in the next hour for you :good:Would be looking for