• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Early preview of SilverbackRC eagerly anticipated wheels

Hiks

Neil was kind enough to send some of his new yet to be named wheels so I could take a closer look, these have already undergone months of testing so this isn't a review as such. I just thought it would be nice to give you a closer look at them as...well they deserve it. I've been waiting for these as many of you have for over a year now and was pretty excited to finally get to mount them up.

As soon as you take them out of the packaging any basher is going to go straight to the wheel hex, this has to be the biggest fail area on the 'Superstar' HPI wheel. With so many people running high powered engines the hex really does start to take a beating. Its good to say the SilverbackRC wheel doesn't disappoint here and the wheel hex feels extremely strong and looks like its well up to the job...

Insiderim.jpg

insidehex.jpg

The second is how much stronger they are around the rim itself, you can easily bend a HPI or Proline wheel with your hands. If you ever put your knee on the wheel to hold it still while taking the wheel nut off you will know what I mean by the way to wheel gives under your weight, Silverback ones are nothing like that and feel soooo much stronger. It was a huge ask to get a wheel with zero flex, I think its been achieved here.

The mount was easy, the beadlock screw bit very well into the wheel and the stronger compound should hopefully help with keeping them in which is another annoying wheel problem. Finally the design itself, they look pretty lush it has to be said...

DSCF2042.jpg

DSCF2045.jpg

DSCF2049.jpg

Some mounted shots to show of the design of the wheel itself...

DSCF2040.jpg

DSCF2036.jpg

DSCF2037.jpg

And finally the fun bit! getting them dirty and testing them out. They performed great and I didn't once see any flex in the wheel which is something I used to get a lot of - My inner beadlock tells the story from where its been catching on the ball end screw.

You will be able to grab these from SilverbackRC in the next few weeks. Price is TBA.

Great product though, couldn't be happier they have been a long time coming but well worth the wait.

DSCF2052.jpg

DSCF2051.jpg

As soon as you take them out of the packaging any basher is going to go straight to the wheel hex, this has to be the biggest fail area on the 'Superstar' HPI wheel. With so many people running high powered engines the hex really does start to take a beating. Its good to say the SilverbackRC wheel doesn't disappoint here and the wheel hex feels extremely strong and looks like its well up to the job...

Yep, I was waiting for them too, but just fitted some new 'SuperStar' rears to tide me over, they have a metal insert in them for the wheel hex, I havn't seen this on HPi rims before ( But I've not bought any for ages either )

Not sure if it will be good or not, but thought it worth a mention.

Will still be looking into a set of these though. Specially if he's doing a dyable version good.gif

Nice write up mate looking forward to getting a set myself. Is there a definite release date then or is it just in a few weeks?

Yeh last I heard it was 2 weeks with more designs to follow after that.

Yep, I was waiting for them too, but just fitted some new 'SuperStar' rears to tide me over, they have a metal insert in them for the wheel hex, I havn't seen this on HPi rims before ( But I've not bought any for ages either )

Not sure if it will be good or not, but thought it worth a mention.

Will still be looking into a set of these though. Specially if he's doing a dyable version good.gif

the metal hex has been around for a while in a HPI wheel, although better than the old ring I wouldn't say they was perfect.

White will be available in 3 weeks AFAIK.

seen these on hbf, they look pretty good, but atm due to budget limitations i'll stick to the mmr £14.99 superstar and foam deal

Is that for a standard 'ring reinforced' rim? If so I guess you cant complain at that price...

These will be officially released on the 1st of June, but some retailers (not Modelsport) may have stock in limited colours & quantities before this time.

Product Codes & Pricing for mine will be as follows....

Front (use on 5B or 5T)

987852 - Black

921060 - Orange

745210 - Silver

075621 - White

£14.00 (per pair)

Rear (5T)

184124 - Black

200201 - Orange

545855 - Silver

730803 - White

£15.00 (per pair)

Rear (5B)

197061 - Black

501555 - Orange

661026 - Silver

024515 - White

£16.00 (per pair)

Edited by flake99please

I was holding my breath and waiting for a silly price to get attached to these, so I could file them in the 'expensive bling' pile, but those are decent prices. I am guessing the extra plastic around the wheel hex does a lot to reduce flex around the area, which should make them last longer. There also looks to be less stress concentration than with the superstar wheel.

Definitely interesting to see products like this coming along :)

Is that for a standard 'ring reinforced' rim? If so I guess you cant complain at that price...

aye, although tbf if i didnt need the foams i'd buy a set of yours. thems are reasonable prices alright.

whats the difference between the front and rear wheels lads? i wanna run some of these on punisher with hub adapters and need to know please. thanks good.gif

Width, I run Baja fronts all round on the Carson, suits the marder buggy style, and run Baja rears all round on the FG as it suits the Monster Beetle style.

Fr. 120x60mm

Rr. 120x75mm

good.gif