• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

(Petrol) King Motor KSRC 2.0 29cc Baja

EvilBoB

DSC03078.JPG

I've spent the last six months in the nitro world and enjoyed the highs (bashing at the BMX track) and the lows (Starting the damned things). After my Hyper 7 TQ Black engine went bang I decided to take the plunge into 1:5 petrol models. As I was working on a limited budget I couldn't stretch to a HPI or MCD so spent some time researching other models. There is a wide range of different types of 1:5 models including 2WD Bajas, 4WD trucks and even some road models! As I really wanted mine to be an off-roader I decided on the Baja style.

With my budget in mind I was looking at the cheaper end of the spectrum which is inhabited by the "clones". Historically these have been cheap copies that are not 100% compatible with the models they are copying. Some of these include the ShengQi Baja an the King Motor range. That said a recent King Motor model did catch my eye. KM do three different versions of the Baja. The first model, KSRC001, has been met with a lot of praise from the large scale community for a budget price and good compatibilty with the HPI for parts. The KSRC002 is the newer version of this car and is 100% compatible with the HPI and has a 29cc Fuelie engine. Finally the KSRC 2.0 is again 100% compatible and comes with the 29cc Fuelie but has the added bonus that it includes an obscene amount of ally parts. This looked like the one for me. Throw into the mix that it comes with everything you need including a 2.4 ghz controller that has a number of features including ABS(!) and the car itself includes a failsafe, metal servos and some tools. With a price of only

Nicely done fella....:good:

You'll find a lot of " cliques " with regards to branding, but as you touched on, they're becoming more common place - less of a dirty secret. ;)

Do what I do with mine......let them make their own minds up after they've seen it......

Big Red has certainly turned a few heads, and changed a few minds :good:

Looks great and well worth the money,i'd have one tomorrow if I didn't already have one and would've saved a hell of a lot of dosh to boot,shame these weren't around when I got mine.Good write up dude and glad you're happy with it....good.gif

the airfilters on bajas are one of the best stock around, made better with an outawares filter sock and the use of an aftermarket second foam, however i ran mine stock for months without issues

The airfilter on the KM is indentical to the HPI. I think an outaware is essential and this may be good enough but I do like the asthetics of some of the others. Do you know if the performance is noticable between the different filters?

The airfilter on the KM is indentical to the HPI. I think an outaware is essential and this may be good enough but I do like the asthetics of some of the others. Do you know if the performance is noticable between the different filters?

The hpi filter set up useing standard inner foam with a tgn pre filter and an outerwears is a very good set up if you need more air simply remove 2 or 3 of the centre ribs under the inner foam

tgn http://www.mmrlargescale.co.uk/shop/product/redneck_dual_stage_for_baja_5b/

outerwears http://www.mmrlargescale.co.uk/shop/product/outerwears_pre-filters/

If you go for a aftermarket filter make sure its dual stage, inner and prefilter, k&n ect look good but dont stop crap getting in the engine.

Lee

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to add to this. The second time I took it out (To the TM Bash in York) I broke a wheel. It cracked around the centre and ended my days fun however I do not know that this was a weak part or if I had over tightened it thus causing the plastic wheel to weaken. Bought a couple of spares for about

The clone wheels are weaker than the HPI offerings,I trashed a clone rim on Sunday,and that was the same,the centre just ripped out,the lower arm went straight through it basically.well worth buying the HPI rims which have more reinforcement webbing on the inside,thats if they haven't already been revised on the KM....:good:

Yup - it's fully RTR. Comes with 2.4ghz transmitted/receiver, mixer bottle, charger for the car battery pack and everything. Just add fuel, transmitter batteries and go :D

The money I have saved will be used for things like spares, Killer Bee cut off switch (Supported by the transmitter that came with it), shock socks (bought), outerwear (Need to get this ASAP) and some road tyres and it would still be cheaper than buying a HPI. Of course the KM doesn't come with the Kudos of the HPI but I'm not concerned. I have a good car that is tough (mostly alloy parts) and I saved a few bob in the process.

The clone wheels are weaker than the HPI offerings,I trashed a clone rim on Sunday,and that was the same,the centre just ripped out,the lower arm went straight through it basically.well worth buying the HPI rims which have more reinforcement webbing on the inside,thats if they haven't already been revised on the KM....good.gif

I think the HPI rims are quite a bit more expensive. I'll see how I go with these spares that I bought recently and if need be I will upgrade them to some kind of aftermarket rim. At the price I paid for the replacements I'm not too worried about breaking a few rather than replacing all four. Fingers crossed. The new rims I got actually appear to be made of a better plastic than the stock ones too and I gave it a good ole bash on the weekend with no damage.

Oh - one other thing I found was that the bolts on the wheels that hold the tyres on - I rounded a few whilst changing the wheel but I think that might have just been the crap alan key that I had with me. Got some new ones now that look a bit tougher.

• 2 months later...

Hey EvilBoB,

I'm pretty much in the same boat you where, Ive got a Hyper 7 black edition and i'm looking at turning to petrol.

I was just wondering where you got your (Petrol) King Motor KSRC 2.0 29cc Baja from as i cant find any shops which stock it and i'd like to have a closer look, as not only does it look amazzing in the pics, its not gonna brake the bank.

Cheers

• 1 month later...

I got the second one. It's pretty damned good too and feels solid to hold. Love the graphics too for changing the acceleration curves etc.

Don't have any recent pics. My camera broke :( Will try and get some this weekend. It's holding up well. Only things replaced so far :

2 Wheels (Replaced with HPI ones)

Clutch (Replaced with 8k HPI one)

Wing (Cracked but I'm still looking for one that I like to replace it)

Pull start (Replaced with KM one)

It's seen god knows how many tanks of petrol and still runs really well. The front is warped a bit but as it's rear wheel drive it doesn't affect the enjoyment factor and when I did that damage I REALLY had a nasty accident. 15 foot in the air and it landed on the front corner wheel.

All in all this car has cost me less in repairs than any of my nitros so I'm really happy. Biggest gripe is that it's so damned loud that you have to be well away from any houses or the police seem to come and talk to you...

Not sure to be honest. It wasn't the red spring like the HPI and didn't look as good quality but the spring itself broke and wore down the clutch. The HPI one looks like a much better manufactured component than the standard one that came with the KM and I only paid about

• 3 weeks later...

Broke another wheel recently. Managed to pick up a pair of second hand ones with tarmac tyres for next to nothing with new inserts. The HPI tyre inserts are a LOT better than the ones that come with the KMs. Looks like they are using some cheapo material for them when you put them side by side. I'll take a photo tonight of the KM one if I get a chance so you can see what I mean.

• 3 months later...

Hi ive just received my KM 2.0 baja and thought i would add pictures of the controller i received with mine. Still waiting to test the car out but due to jolly rain still havent :S.

pb060125.jpg

pb060128.jpg

pb060131.jpg

Edited by Mr5nake