• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

go twin?

Savage_Smithy

Pros---- Everyone will go 'WOW that things got 2 freakin engines!!!' and you will instantly become more attractive to women.

Cons --- it's not cheap, and your fuel bill will double. You won't get twice the power, and the car itself will be a handful to drive.

On a more serious note, a double engined car is a great gimmick, and something that is of interest to people in terms of the engineering and the novelty of it. There will not be many twin engined cars about. It will give a load more power, which can be fun as long as the chassis and drivetrain can handle it. Most of the kit cost is in the chassis upgrades. Skimp on those, and the stock Savage will probably not last too long. The kit also makes the car longer and wider, improving stability and reducing the uncontrollable wheelies. You will definitely find the thing is thirsty...well...twice the engines needs twice the fuel. The kit doesn't list a second fuel tank..so runtimes could be a bit short. It's not a cheap conversion project either,

Pros---- Everyone will go 'WOW that things got 2 freakin engines!!!' and you will instantly become more attractive to women.

Cons --- it's not cheap, and your fuel bill will double. You won't get twice the power, and the car itself will be a handful to drive.

On a more serious note, a double engined car is a great gimmick, and something that is of interest to people in terms of the engineering and the novelty of it. There will not be many twin engined cars about. It will give a load more power, which can be fun as long as the chassis and drivetrain can handle it. Most of the kit cost is in the chassis upgrades. Skimp on those, and the stock Savage will probably not last too long. The kit also makes the car longer and wider, improving stability and reducing the uncontrollable wheelies. You will definitely find the thing is thirsty...well...twice the engines needs twice the fuel. The kit doesn't list a second fuel tank..so runtimes could be a bit short. It's not a cheap conversion project either,

many petrols will out do nitros. Due to their size they give the impression their not as fast but youd be surprised, my baja will outrun a 2 speed losi xxl in a drag

what about a 3 speed savage with a force.36 ;)

agreed,it wont make the car twice as fast and it will have a huge amount of added weight, the car will definitely have allot more torque.

i have not used many petrol rc's but i think it wont do that much more to the car and will not keep up with 0-top speed times but yeah i really think it would be good.

if i was you id invest on making the car lighter and getting 1 single engine with as much power as possible. . .

i really think lightening it and popping a more hp and torqier engine (just the one) would probably match it, and think of all the fuel you can save by doing this.

yeh i get the idea of the fuel, but as for speed 2 engines = more torque so i could have a much lower gearing down across spur gear and clutch bells so a a higher top speed and the dual engines would easily be able to get wheelies even with the higher gearing or am i just being hypothetical here?

basically your just going to spend a load of money on the build and fuel etc and end up with a heavier more uncontrollable car and a hand full of people thinking its cool. my advice is just get a decent more powerful engine and pipe and go from there. Performance would probably be about the same or even slightly better

You could certainly get more speed by raising the gearing, and with 2 motors, it would definitely handle higher gearing. The issue would still be...

1) Is it worth the money.

2) Could you get the same results from putting in a decent .46 or .50 engine

3) Will the thing actually still remain drivable

I am reminded of the time I helped my mate Dave put a race tuned RD400 motor into his RD250. It gave him stacks of extra power, but spent most of it's time either on the brakes or with the front wheel pointing vertically upwards..... More power and torque is only good if the vehicle can cope with it.

You could certainly get more speed by raising the gearing, and with 2 motors, it would definitely handle higher gearing. The issue would still be...

1) Is it worth the money.

2) Could you get the same results from putting in a decent .46 or .50 engine

3) Will the thing actually still remain drivable

I am reminded of the time I helped my mate Dave put a race tuned RD400 motor into his RD250. It gave him stacks of extra power, but spent most of it's time either on the brakes or with the front wheel pointing vertically upwards..... More power and torque is only good if the vehicle can cope with it.

.50 engine? arent they helicopter size motors?

links!!!!?

CEN also do a 7.7cc (0.47??). There's one on fleabay going for about 120 plus shipping. He's listed

all the bits to do BIN's but mail him. I wanted it but think it will twist my tornado into knots lol.

With so much torque, you'll have plenty of options on gearing to improve the top speed.