• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Advice on replacement for current vehicle

Suz

I currently own an HPI Super Nitro RS4 Rally with an evo shell. I have had this for about 7 yrs and it has not had anywhere near the use intended as it has been a pain from day one due to problems getting it tuned and keeping it tuned and the fact that out of a 3/4 hour session the car would run for about 1 tank of fuel and then would not restart and run for any period of time. I feel part of this was my lack of understanding as it was bought as a present and they thought it would be helpful to build and run it in for me so I never really knew the ins and outs of the workings and got fed up worth it before I got round to rebuilding it.

I am now looking at trying to get more into it again but will be selling my current car to someone who can get the best of it and enjoy it as I have lost interest and faith in it. I'm not sure whether to stick with the Nitro or go to electric as seems could be less hassle than Nitro.

I am looking to get a truck or a truggy depending on price as not got a huge budget and also not prepared to spend loads and find that it goes the same way as my current one. I also want to build from scratch if possible and be able to upgrade if I wish to.

I have been looking at Ansmann particularly the Terrier as a replacement, the Savage (although not keen on going HPI again) or possibly one of the Traxxas models maybe the Rustler or the Revo.

Any advice on this gratefully received.

Thanks

Suzy

Hi Suzy, welcome to the forum.

Do you have a figure for your budget? It will help a lot. smile.gif

Opps forgot that bitrolleyes.gif Looking to spend between £200 and £300 unless can find somthing for less. Found the Terrier for £220 locally all inc but just not sure on Ansmann as don't know the make. Also has to be fairly toughbiggrin.gif

Edited by Suz

I only know about electric cars. So for £300 I would have...

A Traxxas 1/16 revo VXL:

http://www.modelspor...D=623&ShowCar=1

Or a HPI firestorm flux:

http://www.modelspor...on&ItemID=29950

Or a losi desert truck and a fusion brushless system:

http://www.modelspor...D=520&ShowCar=1

http://www.modelspor...on&ItemID=34311

Hope it helps. :good:

Edited by TiM!

If your looking at the Ansmann take a look at the Kryptonite. For the extra £££s it is well worth it. I was considering getting a Terrier but didn't read so many good reviews about it. Just before I was about to bite the bullet the Kryptonite got released, after a lot of discussion with the guys at my lhs I decided to order it. There are mixed views on Ansmann and I was very sceptical about getting mine, once built I really cant fault it. It is solid as a rock, will take a good beating and happily comeback for more. It really has suprised me how good it is for a cheaper RC. I would recommend getting the kit if you can, if you were after an RTR or ARR ask in store if they would do you a deal, building it yourself will give a much better knowledge of how it works and you are not going to be the victim of a tired factory worker who has just built their 20th model in a day and lost enthusiasm.

If not keen on HPI I would have to say Revo, tough as old boots and very nice looking.

Edited by a-x-l-e

Thanks for the replies will have to have another look at the two in the shop biggrin.gif Still trying to justify it to hubby seeings current one gets little use!!!!! Also need to sell the current one for reasonable money, off to ebay me thinkswink.gif

Suz

hows it goin if you lookin for a nitro theres a traxxas tmax on modelsport for 320 i know slightly outta you price range but would br worth it with plenty of upgrades to be done there also is a traxxas jato for 295 just in your price range again another good car, the revo new is well outta your price range unless you could streach a bit further.

have you considered thunder tiger mta4 or st1 or the tomohawk these cars are hard as nails and go like the clappers check them out they all in your price range and are good solid cars.

theres also the hobao hyper st great car loads of upgrades again slightly outta you price range but you get what you pay for with these things

hope you make the right choice

paul

The rallies are pretty rare (and sought after!) now, they make good money if they're in good condition.

I'd buy it, but I'll have driving lessons to pay for soon blush.gif

Any idea what I should be looking for for it?

Suz