• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Drive shafts are too short after rebuild.

cerbrus2

I rebuilt my TS4n I brought last Saterday, as it was filthy.

I striped it down to its 3mm ally chassis and cleaned everything. I replaced all the shock oils. I re-oiled the diffs, changed and parts that where worn. and last night i was very proud of my self.

Looking at my shiney clean car all put back togeather by a total noob.

I adjusted all my cambers and toe. and had it perfect.

BUT!!!

I put it on the floor and was pushing the car back and forwards using the transmitter to turn the wheels, And their was a clicking noise. and after I turned to the right, the left front drive shaft popped out.

and the rear right drive shaft is too short as well.

REAR DRIVE SHAFT

IMG00056.jpg

FRONT DRIVE SHAFT

IMG00052.jpg

You can see on the front drive shaft just how short it is.

I thought it could be that I put the diffs round the wrong way. But if I put them the outher way round the Belts would be diagonal.

And once the pin is in on the hex hub the wheel thread wont go in any further.

What did I do wrong. I have looked at my diagrams of the front and rear essemblys and it seems as if I have it spot on.

I cant see what it is that I have done wrong.

PLEASE SOME ONE HELP ME!

you could try screwing the pillow balls in on your steering hubs, looks like a lot of play in them. that will decrease the gap between the drive shaft and the cup and may sit better for you.

Edit: are all your shafts the same length? some r/c's have different length rear than front etc..

Edited by mgtuser

Yeah the shafts are all the same leangh.

The pillow ball mounts are set perfect for the camber of the front wheels. their is only 3.2 mm gap at the bottom and 2.1mm gap at the top (vernnier calipers FTW).

The car works perfect, Im half tempted to fined a set of drive shafts that are a bit longer than the TS4n ones.

But it doesnt exsplain how it was fine before I took it apart and now its not. :(

its becaue your ball joints on the hubs are set wrong you will have to screw the balls in more. i wouldn't run it like that it will more than likely ruin you drive cups and shafts

Edited by danharrison

its becaue your ball joints on the hubs are set wrong you will have to screw the balls in more. i wouldn't run it like that it will more than likely ruin you drive cups and shafts

The ball joints at thetop are all the way in. \only the bottom joint has been adjusted and that only by 1mm

The ball joints at thetop are all the way in. \only the bottom joint has been adjusted and that only by 1mm

ahh right. have you changed any other suspension settings? have you given it any more ride height

ahh right. have you changed any other suspension settings? have you given it any more ride height

Thanx for the help I have sorted out the problem. The local model store had some larger O rings. whitch evened out the drive shaft and has stoped it falling out. And its running great.

Now if I can get my second hand Traxxas, Nitro sport to work perfectly I will be happy. So thats this weeks mission. :)

Thx for all the imput guys, you are stars.