• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Rattling noise on hyper 7

Bridgey

Hi all,

Took the car out this morning before work and began to tune it.

Car was running great then all of a sudden started to get a rattling sound (metal touching metal noise) which appears to be from the clutch area. The car also began stalling on idle.

I've only had the car just over a week with only 12 tanks through it so not quite sure what it could be.

I'm probably going to have another run tomorrow and try and see what's up but thought I could do with some advice of everyone.

Thanks in advance

Also is the gears meshed right? Does it rattle when you push along the floor??

It rings a slight bit when pushed along the floor...

Should I be having this problem with a week old car or is it just one of them things?

12 tanks through is a bit short time for a major breakdown. First thing to check is that everything is properly tightened down. It's possible the clutch has come apart, but also possible you may have anything from a loose engine mount through to loose clutch bell. If that isn't on properly, the gears will rattle against each other. Check the big bits are all tight first, then start taking the clutch area apart. Dead bearings should be obvious, as should the state of the clutch when you look at it.

As a rule of thumb...if bits fall out when you take of the clutch bell, it's time to get out the Visa card....

Bearings that have collapsed would be obvious, as should any serious play in them. Any broken springs would also be obvious. The gears and clutch bell should not be showing obvious signs of wear or scoring...you will see marked wear on the gears if they are worn. The gear on the clutch bell tends to wear more as it is smaller...you will see the marks where it meshes with the larger gear on the transmission. If your engine mounts were loose, this will cause wear here prematurely. You will see the teeth thinned out or chipped.

The manual should show the clutch assembly .... make sure the shoes look like the picture, and are not missing bits!

Lastly, make sure the engine shaft is OK, not scored or bent where the clutch shoes fit.

Wear here will follow according to the way this all works together. The engine shaft spins at high revs, forcing the clutch shoes out until they meet the inside of the clutch bell. Then friction builds until the clutch bell spins. The springs pull the shoes back and control the amount of centrifugal force needed to bring hte shoes into contact with the clutch bell. Look for anything that might indicate metal to metal contact somewhere it shouldn't be happening!

Going to have a look in the next few days...

Can I still use the car in the meantime or could it cause more damage?

And secondly, if the clutch bell and/or bearings need replacing, is there any upgraded parts which I can use rather than stock?

Cheers

Personally, I wouldn't run the car until the cause is identified and sorted. You are running the risk of causing more damage. It may not be a major issue.....but are you prepared to take the risk?

I would advise caution until you know the nature of the problem. If a bearing is giving out, then it's just a question of replacing it. If a bearing disintegrates at 20,000rpm then it will make a bit of a mess.

Personally, I wouldn't run the car until the cause is identified and sorted. You are running the risk of causing more damage. It may not be a major issue.....but are you prepared to take the risk?

I would advise caution until you know the nature of the problem. If a bearing is giving out, then it's just a question of replacing it. If a bearing disintegrates at 20,000rpm then it will make a bit of a mess.

True mate, will be taking the clutch apart tomorrow so hopefully will be able to sort it out soon.

Does anyone recommend an upgraded clutch bell/shoes for hyper 7?

Cheers

Nope. The stock bell & shoes are more than up to the job with the standard engine. The 14T clutch bell is the one to stick with as well.

I would advise that you get some ceramic clutch bearings. They are about 5 times the price of standard clutch bearings but will last forever.

Edited by dark stranger

Nope. The stock bell & shoes are more than up to the job with the standard engine. The 14T clutch bell is the one to stick with as well.

I would advise that you get some ceramic clutch barings. They are about 5 times the price of standard clutch bearing but will last forever.

Ye, was thinking of getting some ceramic bearings. Will stick with the 14T bell, I don't think there is a problem with the bell though so will just be replacing the bearings I think.

Well I opened the clutch up today and everything looked fine to be honest. Replaced the bearings anyway seen as I had it open.

Was very slightly rough on the inside of the bell but nothing to worry about I don't think.

Meshing the gears was a massive pain but got there in the end lol.

Going to give it a run later and see how it goes..