• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

accessory hints and tips

mrklaw

So, give us some hints and tips on good things you've found to use for scale accessories. Or some 'how to' guides to making something.

I found a 5cm plate stand at Robert Dyas today

plates1.jpg

Might make a good bike rack or spare wheel holder? Also found www.platestands.co.uk that does them in all sorts of sizes and colours including black and chrome.

Chrome_small_plate.JPG

• Like 1

just made my first bungee cord with a hair elastic from Claires Accessories and a coloured paper clip. Followed this tutorial on youtube -

Not as easy as it looks first time, but managed it in the end.

Have a go at making accessories yourselves guys,thats all part and parcel of the hobby,you never know how good you are at it unless you try,bit like sex really but thats another lesson,for another day altogether....laugh.gif

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

wheres the best place to buy plasticard (including box section and tube) in relatively large packs? because the prices on ebay are bloody stupid lol

if there was a place to buy a big pack of it then i might buy a pack and see if anyone wants any as im thinking of making a few things myself but need a new scalpel set and one of those tiny drill kind of things that you twist (like a screwdriver) to drill

evergreen and plastruct are the big companies for styrene. Evergreen do sheets/box/rod/tube/angle etc, plastruct do girders/ladders etc

try their UK distributors to see if they'll sell direct for a large amount? Evergreen are distributed through J Perkins (link) and they have a storefinder if you just want to find your nearest stockist.

My local store has some plastruct and a small evergreen stock, but no solid rod which I want, so I'm up for buying some if you fancy a group buy or something

info on what they do - shapes, sheets, different sizes, dimensions etc

shapes - link

sheets - link

strips - link

for the sheets, they really only show thickness and size of sheet. They have lots of different patterns like embossed diamond pattern etc. Good site to see examples here - link

as for prices, its quite expensive in my local shop, maybe

i think i want 0.5,1,1.5,2mm plain sheet

0.5,1mm round rod

4mm round tube

4.8mm square tube

3.2 x 6.3,4.8 x 7.9,6.3 x 9.5mm rectangular tubing

:lol:

the rod and tube is surprisingly cheap imo

what are the "economy packs" for plain sheet?

Edited by midi-mania