• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Motor Heatsink for TT-01E

hazza2805

plus another idea would be to fit the metal motor mount

Hay there.

I have a standard Tamiya Heatsink fitted to my TT01E mate. What I did with my one is to roll the heatsink round as far as it would go st the side were the on/off switch goes. This will keep ie away from both the Prop shaft cups & the upper deck. I also agree with the above post of fitting a Metal Motor mount too. I have both on my car.

This one is like the one on my one.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tamiya-9400169-Alumi...3A2%7C294%3A200

I think I might have a motor mount here somewere too.

Hi Matt yeah that would be great thanks.

And I didn't realise that the metal motor mount helps with heat, but after seeing a pic of one you're right, it has little heatsink fins on it, thanks!!

EDIT: Lord of the hoard posted whilst I was replying lol.

Thanks for that, I hadn't seen that heatsink! Have you got a pic of it on your car? Does it not make the motor hotter because it blocks the holes or does it have holes in it? Also, how long it is roughly?(length of motor it covers)

You have a spare motor mount?

Does anyone know the dimensions of fans on heatsinks such as this one here

, as I'm trying to figure out if the fan will fit inbetween the upper deck, and the side of the chassis, where the on/off switch is.

Thanks

Harry

Edited by hazza2805

Hi Matt yeah that would be great thanks.

And I didn't realise that the metal motor mount helps with heat, but after seeing a pic of one you're right, it has little heatsink fins on it, thanks!!

EDIT: Lorf of the hoard posted whilst I was replying lol.

Thanks for that, I hadn't seen that heatsink! Have you got a pic of it on your car? Does it not make the motor hotter because it blocks the holes?

You have a spare motor mount?

Thanks

Harry

Yes mate. Here the picture. Sorry about all the Dirt. Was out running the car last night. But you will get the idea at least. As for the overheating due to no vents. There are vents at the bottom of the motor & the vent at the top has flat sides so there is air flow through the top too.

I will have a look when I get home to see if I can find that motor mount.

Sounds like you have it sorted but just in case my friend has the metal motor mount and the blue Tamiya heatsink on his, rolling it around so the fin just touches the switch houseing seems to work for him.

Sounds like you have it sorted but just in case my friend has the metal motor mount and the blue Tamiya heatsink on his, rolling it around so the fin just touches the switch houseing seems to work for him.

Thanks for that confirmation buddy! Which heatsink does he have? As I'm sure I've seen a few blue Tamiya ones?

Thanks again

Harry

Thanks for that confirmation buddy! Which heatsink does he have? As I'm sure I've seen a few blue Tamiya ones?

Thanks again

Harry

Hi Harry

The heatsink is Part No: 53664 which is the one I use on my drift chassis. I've got an Annsman one as well which has a small fan fitted to it this works wonders but I'm not sure if it would fit the TT-01E, I've got it fitted to my TT-01R :D

Hi Harry

The heatsink is Part No: 53664 which is the one I use on my drift chassis. I've got an Annsman one as well which has a small fan fitted to it this works wonders but I'm not sure if it would fit the TT-01E, I've got it fitted to my TT-01R :D

Hi there, is the one with the fan this one?

If so, I wouldn't be able to be cheeky and ask you to see if it fits the tt-01e would I?

Thanks!! :P

Also, do you find that the fan actually keeps the motor cooler, or is it more of a gimmick?

Edited by hazza2805

Hi there, is the one with the fan this one?

If so, I wouldn't be able to be cheeky and ask you to see if it fits the tt-01e would I?

Thanks!! :P

Also, do you find that the fan actually keeps the motor cooler, or is it more of a gimmick?

Hiya

No it's not that one, although if you mounted that model on an angle you might get away with it. Dont know how much cooling effect it would have though, the fins look pretty small.

The part number for the heatsink I have is: 203000203 and it fits over half the motor with the fan on the switch side of the chassis. I'm running it on a Team Orion element V2 with the green anodised endbell. This is a 19T Spec motor and its nice and cool with it fitted, definatley cooler than with the Tamiya heatsink as there is more fin surface area with the ansmann as well as the fan.

Also the switch for my ESC is much smaller than the Tamiya one so the fan doesn't get in the way as i've mounted the switch elsewhere.

Have a look here, this is the Xpede version but it's the same as the ansmann i've got and see what you think.

http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/rc-heat-sink...38.html?picID=1

Edited by Dirty Electro

Yeah thats what I thought, the fins look pretty small and so the fan isn't going to do much good = rubbish heatsink!

So you've got this one? I see what you mean, I would have thought that the on/off switch would get in the way of the fan. I also thought that the upper deck would not let the fins on the opposite side of the fan fit.

But it fits for you on a tt01e yeah?

I think this one is bassically a mix of the two, with the fan mounted on the top rather than the side, and has good fins?

Thanks

Harry

Yeah thats what I thought, the fins look pretty small and so the fan isn't going to do much good = rubbish heatsink!

So you've got this one? I see what you mean, I would have thought that the on/off switch would get in the way of the fan. I also thought that the upper deck would not let the fins on the opposite side of the fan fit.

But it fits for you on a tt01e yeah?

I think this one is bassically a mix of the two, with the fan mounted on the top rather than the side, and has good fins?

Thanks

Harry

Hi Harry

Yes thats the one that i'm running, however dont forget that as i said I have moved the switch elsewhere on the chassis so clearance is not a problem, thank you Mr Novak :D and its mounted on a TT01R on which the carbon brace does not bend down like the TT01E.

My friend is running the Tamiya blue heatsink which has fins only covering 3/4 of its area so it will fit the TT01E but has no fan, this does do a good job of cooling however as there is quite a large fin area, just make sure that you slide the heatsink as near to the motor mount as possible and roll it round so the fins are inbetween the chassis brace and the switch mount and you'll be fine.

The heatsink you have found looks like it would cool a PC :lol: weapons grade stuff.

I'd stick to the Tamiya one (Part number elsewhere on Thread) Unless you plan to run ultra low turn motors etc.

Hi Harry

Yes thats the one that i'm running, however dont forget that as i said I have moved the switch elsewhere on the chassis so clearance is not a problem, thank you Mr Novak :D and its mounted on a TT01R on which the carbon brace does not bend down like the TT01E.

My friend is running the Tamiya blue heatsink which has fins only covering 3/4 of its area so it will fit the TT01E but has no fan, this does do a good job of cooling however as there is quite a large fin area, just make sure that you slide the heatsink as near to the motor mount as possible and roll it round so the fins are inbetween the chassis brace and the switch mount and you'll be fine.

The heatsink you have found looks like it would cool a PC :lol: weapons grade stuff.

I'd stick to the Tamiya one (Part number elsewhere on Thread) Unless you plan to run ultra low turn motors etc.

Weapons grade :D

I think I need a fan, as after 5 mins of racing the motor is hot, I mean ridiculously hot, can't touch it for a second! Even though I've tried all different FDR's! I'm on the highest possible now and it seems to run a bit cooler.

I just purchased the same one as you, with the side mounted fan, and plan to do some hacksawing and filing of fins, and perhaps make some sort of mount like this one.

I'm looking forward to it!

Thanks for your help guys!

Harry

Weapons grade :D

I think I need a fan, as after 5 mins of racing the motor is hot, I mean ridiculously hot, can't touch it for a second! Even though I've tried all different FDR's! I'm on the highest possible now and it seems to run a bit cooler.

I just purchased the same one as you, with the side mounted fan, and plan to do some hacksawing and filing of fins, and perhaps make some sort of mount like this one.

I'm looking forward to it!

Thanks for your help guys!

Harry

Hi Harry

Thats what the TT01 is all about, if it wont fit then make it fit, modification all the way :D Good luck, let me know if it works.

What motor are you running? If it's getting that hot Re-check the FDR and if that dont work check for binding in the diffs or the drivetrain, did you buy the motor new or is it second-hand and the previous owner has altered the timing maybe?

Hope it all works out mate

I think I find the tinkering and modifying more fun than the driving lol.

I will post up pics once I've done it! (if I remeber!)

The FDR's are deffo right, and the drivechain and diffs are spot on, recently rebuilt and checked multiple times!

Ahh, I think you have the answer there! The club I race at says we have to use 27turn motors, so I bought it from someone there. And I was pleasantly surprised to find that my car was over taking others (better cars) on the straights, even when it was geared to have the slowest top speed (highest FDR).

I don't have a clue what timing does, or how to change it, so I shall research now!

It would be a shame to have to make it slower, hopefully the heatsink will cool it down!

Demon Power Epic 27 turn..... I think is what it's called!

Thanks

Harry

I think I find the tinkering and modifying more fun than the driving lol.

I will post up pics once I've done it! (if I remeber!)

The FDR's are deffo right, and the drivechain and diffs are spot on, recently rebuilt and checked multiple times!

Ahh, I think you have the answer there! The club I race at says we have to use 27turn motors, so I bought it from someone there. And I was pleasantly surprised to find that my car was over taking others (better cars) on the straights, even when it was geared to have the slowest top speed (highest FDR).

I don't have a clue what timing does, or how to change it, so I shall research now!

It would be a shame to have to make it slower, hopefully the heatsink will cool it down!

Demon Power Epic 27 turn..... I think is what it's called!

Thanks

Harry

Hi Harry

Some motors allow you to modify the timing +or- a few degrees, now I'm no expert but I do know that modifying the timing can get some more Revs by advancing the timing, and less if you Retard the timing. If your motors advanced too much then it could be the cause of the overheating as could retarding it too much. The way to check is to look at the can (endbell end) and see if there are any numbers going up or down with a 0 in the middle of the scale, somtimes there are only lines so it can be tricky, then on the endbell there will be somekind of mark or pointer which will tell you if the timings been changed, the endbell should point to 0 if the timings standard.

I think this is right although hopefully someone might join in to point out any errors in the above.

Alternatively you could always look it up :lol:

Hi guys, does anyone know of a motor heatsink for a TT-01E?

I can't seem to find any that will fit, because of the upper deck part.

Even the standard ones for the TT-01 wouldn't fit by the look of them.

Thanks

Harry

I use an integy heat sink with fan soldered to motor, im runnin a tt01 chassis but have the carbon fibre upper deck and it fits ok :)

Hi there guys, thanks for all of your help!

I got the blue one with the side mounted fan, and have modified it to fit the tt01e.

Hopefully I will soon be able to post up some pics, and a little how to of what parts to take to with a file etc!

Thanks again!

Harry

Hi there guys, thanks for all of your help!

I got the blue one with the side mounted fan, and have modified it to fit the tt01e.

Hopefully I will soon be able to post up some pics, and a little how to of what parts to take to with a file etc!

Thanks again!

Harry

Nice one Harry, cant wait for pics, glad to help :D