• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

TT01 Race Build Project

Hi all, well im pretty new to this hobby maybe a few months now, i started out with a few Bycmo cars and played around with them a bit, they're not bad for a budget especially if you ballrace them and replace the mechanical speed controller with an esc andf bigger motor! Oh and locking the diff helps as these seem to go through them like wildfire!

After a while i decided to build a proper race car but keep it under a budget so i got a TT01 chassis and began work! My intention is to keep updating this topic and hopefully get others to add there own pieces.

Well heres a list of what my TT01 currently has ....

Alloy front and rear arms upper and lower

Oversize rear drive shaft

Alloy rear and front knuckles

Adjustable front oil filled suspension

CVA oil filled rear suspension

Carbon Fibre chassis brace

Universal drive shafts for front

M1 - T27 EVO tyres and wheels

MRT MX TSX Unlimited speed controller with MRT power cap fitted

Perfex Receiver

Acoms servo

Team Orion 13 turn bb racing motor

basic heat sink

Alloy steering rack

Alloy ball raced steering arms

Alloy servo saver

Skyline shell with 10 lights wired and siliconed in for nightracing (look fantastic on)

And of course the alloy centre shaft!!

Currently running 55/25 gear ratio

All this barring the gears and lights were bought from ebay and modded/cleaned up so its cost me a lot less than it should have as i said im on a budget but ive done well!!!

Went for a run last night ( I live next to a school so im pretty lucky ) And Oh yeah the power is good! tried some slicks out (annsman racing ones) but they acted more like drift tyres, did get a nice bit of drift actipn going but i want control! So i switched back to these T27's and still back end keeps shifting out, i have the suspension harder at the front and less at the back but the lube in the rear diff is thicker than the front so i may thin it out for maximum slip or maybe get a ball raced rear diff.

Next ups gotta be 2 deg toe in rear hubs for more stability and sort the diff, i did however get a job lot of newish Team Orion Motors from ebay, some to keep some to sell on to pay for more of the hobby! So im getting there and having lots of fun in the meantime! Ill keep updating my build and adding pics if poss, anyone else out there building a race TT01 lets compare what were doing!

Chassis 1

Chassis 2

Skyine Shell

sweet tell us if you beat any top of the line touring cars with it :P

did they let you race with the 13t or did you have to switch to 27t/19t motor.

i planned to do this and slowly upgrade it but never got round to it and it was terrible as it was alomost stock but yours is what mine was hoping to look like but ended up just getting a better car.

sweet tell us if you beat any top of the line touring cars with it :P

did they let you race with the 13t or did you have to switch to 27t/19t motor.

i planned to do this and slowly upgrade it but never got round to it and it was terrible as it was alomost stock but yours is what mine was hoping to look like but ended up just getting a better car.

To be honest i havent raced it yet but cos ive got These 5 team orion motors coming im gonna set a few up for different classes, dont suppose anyone knows the best ball raced rear diff to get? prices seem to vary quite a lot?!!

After a while i decided to build a proper race car

so what stopped you :lol:

All this barring the gears and lights were bought from ebay and modded/cleaned up so its cost me a lot less than it should have as i said im on a budget but ive done well!!!

As i've said before... why a TT-01 just to hop it up, by the time you have finished you will of spent more money than it would cost you to buy a TRF415 & you will have a TT-01, so why not just buy the TRF in the 1st place!!

Went for a run last night ( I live next to a school so im pretty lucky ) And Oh yeah the power is good! tried some slicks out (annsman racing ones) but they acted more like drift tyres, did get a nice bit of drift actipn going but i want control! So i switched back to these T27's and still back end keeps shifting out, i have the suspension harder at the front and less at the back but the lube in the rear diff is thicker than the front so i may thin it out for maximum slip or maybe get a ball raced rear diff.

suprsed you got more grip with the T27's than the Ansmann slicks.. the Ansmanns are closer compound to 24's so should be super sticky on the ground. I've run Ansmann slicks on concrete tracks & had grip-roll. Unless the ground was dusty & the cut treads on the T27's kept the car gripping.

if you keep loosing the back end consider loosening the back diff.. it's not easy to do with a TT-01, but the best way is to remove all the grease from the back diff you can.. just leave the moving parts coated with enough grease to lube them or use really thin grease or even Vaseline & pack the front diff really tight with some gloopy grease to tighten it up, this should stop that tail happy action.

Also remember TT-01's have very sloppy steering... not much you can do about it other than pack the front diff & change the steering rack for the alloy version, also consider swaping the solid bar from the servo saver with a turn-buckle & tie-rod system, for more adjustment.

i did however get a job lot of newish Team Orion Motors from ebay, some to keep some to sell on to pay for more of the hobby!

if running with a 13t you "should" be put in with the likes of the 10.5 brushless guys or ypu will be plonked in with modified... if you are a beginner i'd consider going to 27t or 19t or even 21t just until you get some race experience under your belt.

So im getting there and having lots of fun in the meantime!

that's what matters, but if you are that serious about racing, i'd forget TT-01's & start looking at TC4's & the like.

so what stopped you :lol:

As i've said before... why a TT-01 just to hop it up, by the time you have finished you will of spent more money than it would cost you to buy a TRF415 & you will have a TT-01, so why not just buy the TRF in the 1st place!!

suprsed you got more grip with the T27's than the Ansmann slicks.. the Ansmanns are closer compound to 24's so should be super sticky on the ground. I've run Ansmann slicks on concrete tracks & had grip-roll. Unless the ground was dusty & the cut treads on the T27's kept the car gripping.

if you keep loosing the back end consider loosening the back diff.. it's not easy to do with a TT-01, but the best way is to remove all the grease from the back diff you can.. just leave the moving parts coated with enough grease to lube them or use really thin grease or even Vaseline & pack the front diff really tight with some gloopy grease to tighten it up, this should stop that tail happy action.

Also remember TT-01's have very sloppy steering... not much you can do about it other than pack the front diff & change the steering rack for the alloy version, also consider swaping the solid bar from the servo saver with a turn-buckle & tie-rod system, for more adjustment.

if running with a 13t you "should" be put in with the likes of the 10.5 brushless guys or ypu will be plonked in with modified... if you are a beginner i'd consider going to 27t or 19t or even 21t just until you get some race experience under your belt.

that's what matters, but if you are that serious about racing, i'd forget TT-01's & start looking at TC4's & the like.

Hi bud, thanks for comments, actually need to clarify i didnt buy this to hop up EVERYTHING inc rolling chassis was bought used apart from lights which i had made new, so cost wise its very low, had a few good job lot deals you see so after selling on what i dint want im left with a v expensive car which with the list above has cost me personally about 75 -85 and 25 of that was on the shell and lights! Ive been quite lucky in buying up those bycmos fixing them up and reselling without ripping anyone off! My goal is a race spec tt01 and a rally tt01 (read the build thread on here and loved it!)

Got a bashing shell coming so i can keep one for the shelf this week and i know theres a club local to me so when ive properly soldered all my motors up to decent connectors so i can quickish change im gonna get along and get involved, hopefully within a few weeks, in the meantime its regular practice incidentally i was suprised about the annsman tyres too but they look a harder compound to me and theres several types of asphalt where i go so with them being cold i think my race tyres got better grip as they seem softer, did get my first experience of drifting though as id deliberatelly used thicker grease on rear diff to see how it coped, boy what fun! got sidetracked looking at hard caps for my tyres ;) !!

But anyway lol ive ordered a ball rear diff so i can lock it if i want in future and i know itll cope with the 10 turn motor i plan on installing when it comes along with an integy heat sink with fan and a switch solution for the lights ..... gonna be fun!!! Must say this is a great hobby and if you shop around doesn't necessarily have to be too expensive .... and most parts seem to get some decent money back for so if you're new like me dont be afraid of making mistakes buying the wrong bit..... sell it on for someone else to enjoy lol!!!! :lol:

Cant go wrong with a TT-01 for good budget thrills :D I know you can get better chassis straight from the box but it's easy to tune up and it feels fantastic when you beat more expensive stuff in the races.

Have you got any spare bits you want rid of to fund your project??

Cant go wrong with a TT-01 for good budget thrills :D I know you can get better chassis straight from the box but it's easy to tune up and it feels fantastic when you beat more expensive stuff in the races.

Have you got any spare bits you want rid of to fund your project??

I will have some spare bits and im up for havin a bash if anyone in york wants to join me! Gonna install a 10x2 motor and a few other bits today, im 30 and i feel like a kid again lol!

Well done mate.

Great to see people sticking to good old tamiya stuff. Its. Sounds like you have put alot into the build. If your happy with it stick to it is what I say.

Even if you dont win, Any result against a much more expencive car will be a great as Dirty Electro said.

My mate raced a Tamiya TL01 for years. More for the fun of beating guys with realy expencive kits than the winning. He used to arrive at races with one tool box with his car inside, 2 Set of wheels, 3 Batterys & charger & a few tools and that was it. Sitting along guys with Hundreds & Hundreds of pound of stuff. He just smiled when he even beat one of them. Most of the time he was 2nd, 3rd or 4th but he did'nt care.

Enjoy it mate. Looking forward to more of you postings. May even build something like that myself soon.

Ok so last night i had some fun! Installed a Team Orion 10x2 Motor and Integy Heat Sink with fan, I cleaned the diff (again) and used some motorcycle silver lube (kinda like copper grease) nice n slippy now but boy the back end still wants to go for a walk! Also having trouble keeping the steering trimmed in, it keeps going one way or the other not massivly but at the speed im doin now not the best!

Installed aluminium tie rods so i think im gonna strip the front end today and take all the slop out i can, dont know if anyone else has a bit too much movement with the front wheels through the steering knuckles? getting maybe 2mm movement so gonna try to sort that!

Running a 55/25 gear at the moment but i think im gonna sacrifice a bit of top end for acceleration and switch to 58/25 ..... Might help with the heat too as motor is getting silly warm running that fast! Also battery is dying far quicker than when i had a 13t motor and 61/22 gearing so ill try to find a compromise! It is fun though as the local kids were visibly shocked how fast it can go over 200m!!! :lol:

So im waiting on a ball rear diff and 2 deg toe in rears now to help with stability ... i hope!!!!

Im only using Dahmann 3300 mah battery's which are obviously cheap and cheerful and got 4 with a job lot and if this is how much punch im gettin from old undischarged battery's then i may have to invest in something nice to race with!!

I have a wireless camera which i put on another car so todays project is to increase the gain on that so i can get a better pic through movement!!! Will post more pics when i get the diff.....

Happy racin folks!!!

Hi Dan

I'm runnin the Tamiya ball diff and 2degree toe in uprights and all is well, dont do the diff up too tight however, unless drifting is the order of the day :D Also try the wider hexes that you get with the Tamiya TT01 kit or the alloy equivelent, gives you a wider track at the back. Are you runnin foam in the tires?