• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

o'donnels nitro fuel

PRAETORIAN

hi all.

I just read the side of my nitro fuel bottle and it states:

Warning: this product contains a chemical known to the state of california to cause cancer

So my questions to all nitro boffins is what is the chemical and what are the risk factors, lets say, compared to smoking cigarettes? Is it present in the fumes after combustion, or only in the fuel prior to combustion?

Have there actually been any diagnosed cases of cancer that have been attributed to nitro fuel?

I just thought it an odd warning to find on a fuel bottle, lol! :) Kind of took me by suprise and sparked my curiosity :)

Cheers

Matt

I ran my LST2 in the workshop last night after removing the engine to sort out the OWB slipping..after all these years running nitro boats and cars i should know better :whistling: god i felt ill afterwards..its bad that sometimes we dont learn by past mistakes rofl

Edited by BigMick

That warning seems to appear on most US things, its on the side of my packet of antenna caps!!

I ran my LST2 in the workshop last night after removing the engine to sort out the OWB slipping..after all these years running nitro boats and cars i should know better :whistling: god i felt ill afterwards..its bad that sometimes we dont learn by past mistakes rofl

:lol: , yeah its bad when you get nitro fumes in a confined space, in a moment of madness I didn't notice the exhaust deflector was pointing straight at my mouth when I was working on my Jato, fired it up, got a nice big mouthful of fumes and I felt like i'd stripped my insides for days.

Matt

I think you will find it is to do with the oil that is in it, some Uk oils now have it on in respect of prolonged exposure to skin, but as others have said it seems to be printed on anything american :) .

as with all fuels you should avoid contact with the skin on a prolonged and regular basis hence why most mechanics now wear rubber gloves when working.

Edited by scara