• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Photography!

richhrly

DLSR have made it more cost effective. 

digital means no need for all the fixing agents and that light sensative paper

a dark room with red lamp, a upsizer machine etc etc etc

and a shed load of chemicals.  your DSLR has all that built inside its sensor.

films, these come in all differnet flavours and ISO , monochrome or color.

Kodak were and still are the most known with fujifilm coming very close to.

mention camera film most will say that golden word " KODAK "

films all have differnet properties to , i may chose a standard color, but someone like harry may go for a nice monochrome film

or richard a color film but they are differnet in the way color is shown. sepia etc etc.

some films are color kings, so if the guys mention a certain film its because they had the best images coming from it.

and it reproduced the scene how they expected. 

Digital also has its uses, take a picture and have a look at it stored on the camera. you cannot see the image on the film you have to wait for it to be developed 

and then see what you have got. these days people want instant, like mail-delivery-food-drink and images not waiting 3 days for it to be developed for you

or your need to have the chemicals and time to develop the film yourself. dslr owners always have a time where they wish they had that 35mm full frame

and some very nice top end film to use its that air of expectation on what you get back in that little pocket filled with photos. 

• Like 1

me and me dads cameras are fujifilm bridges, were keeping them really good cameras

last time i used a 35mm camera films used to be alot cheaper and you could buy in bulk kinda cheaply aswell always used to grab kodak portra 400, it used to be like

• 2 weeks later...

One for Harry and Rich to puzzle over. 

well , i have had an idea , but do not know the best way to gain what i require as a photo. 

i want to take a picture of a boring plain backdrop, say a large bank - building - office block

or a colorful flowery country park. 

On its own the image is going to be rather bland ( a rushed point and click holiday photo)

now heres where you guys come in and my idea.  

i am thinking this, i photoprint off the image to the size of the canvas, frame it 

but as the twist i reverse a graffiti stencil and spray it onto the rear of the protector glass on the frame.

and place this back into the frame. (see where im going on this ? ) 

i want that photograph to act as the backdrop aka wall for the graffiti art. problem is how do i blend the

photo with the stencil work, if it was PC you would add a gausian blur , but alas i am unable to as graffiti is none digital.

so should i gausian blur the photo before the stencil is layed onto glass, and overspray the image to

blend with the photograph behind ?

have you guys tried this before, or would you go about it a different way.

Edited by Tamiyacowboy

• 4 weeks later...

mJ206ir.jpg

Snapped this with the ST80 short tube tele lens ( 400mm prime @f5 ) 

iso 1600 - 1/1000s 

grabbed about fourty shots handheld before i could no longer stand the cold. took them squatting down and resting barrel on the knees.

its a pain as its a telescope focus system so you have to rough guess the sweet spot. this is number 15 out of the batch, cropped 100%

• Like 3

mJ206ir.jpg

Snapped this with the ST80 short tube tele lens ( 400mm prime @f5 ) 

iso 1600 - 1/1000s 

grabbed about fourty shots handheld before i could no longer stand the cold. took them squatting down and resting barrel on the knees.

its a pain as its a telescope focus system so you have to rough guess the sweet spot. this is number 15 out of the batch, cropped 100%

very nice tam!!!

but tut....tut..... why are you not posting in the astro topic :( im all alone in there lol

very nice tam!!!

but tut....tut..... why are you not posting in the astro topic :( im all alone in there lol

have not done astrophotograhy since the heart attack couple yr ago, not being able and told not to be out in cold weather put paid to that.

and its pretty much put stops on photography to, then the nhs ripped out all my teeth so now i cant even face people let alone talk with them 

i tend to go out once a week to local shop, get my single pack of tobacco n rizla and thats it, pop out in yard to feed the birds.

all my gear now has a layer of dust , it goes un-used as a reminder of that fateful night shooting jupiter in freezing weather 

and the unknown heart problems i had. 

have not done astrophotograhy since the heart attack couple yr ago, not being able and told not to be out in cold weather put paid to that.

and its pretty much put stops on photography to, then the nhs ripped out all my teeth so now i cant even face people let alone talk with them 

i tend to go out once a week to local shop, get my single pack of tobacco n rizla and thats it, pop out in yard to feed the birds.

all my gear now has a layer of dust , it goes un-used as a reminder of that fateful night shooting jupiter in freezing weather 

and the unknown heart problems i had. 

im so sorry to hear this Tam! :( my thoughts are with you :(

• 2 weeks later...

Been on holibobs, popped off to LA for a week with only an iPhone camera, and took some snaps of stuff that interested me and popped it on a Tumblr (linky).

tumblr_nk1gk81G521tkas2jo1_1280.jpg

Your question from a while ago Tam, I'm a bit confused about what you're trying to do. Mixing real life and printed media is gonna be a nightmare to do realistically, unless I'm not quite getting the question! Hope you feel better soon and get shooting again.

I love that photo Rich. 

reminds me of the corner garage on that CARS disney movie ( but real life version ), the old style gas/shop signs, and in the back ground the new modern signs.

Yes idea was a summery backdrop, trees, blossom etc etc, then on the glass front of the framing a silk screen or stencil. and your right its a nightmare lol.

painting on glass is not as easy as they show it to be. i ended up with a blotch mess . Idea was canned and shelved.

been resting up, put the telescope away and  loaded the camera with the 90-300mm. have a couple jenny wrens visiting the garden.

the usual bluetits, goldfinch, and robins. i also have a gaggle of Buzzards to ( watched them and a crow yesterday having mid air dogfights ),

and the otter .
also saving pennys because i want a sigma 10-20mm lens :)

• 1 month later...

Felt like doing something alittle artsy so i got on photoshop, loaded a picture of my baja flux and went messing with the colour settings, something i've seen done before a felt like making one myself, come out ok for something i put 0 effort into.

DSC08931-grey.png

• Like 1

Felt like doing something alittle artsy so i got on photoshop, loaded a picture of my baja flux and went messing with the colour settings, something i've seen done before a felt like making one myself, come out ok for something i put 0 effort into.

DSC08931-grey.png

its a very easy program to use im an expert at it :)

Been to a few gigs lately with the 'sacrificial 40D'

These are from the recent (March) tour of Tragedy - A US band that started out as a heavy metal tribute to the Bee Gees, and now include disco and 70s numbers in their act https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxD_CAatY-8

The colour ones were taken at The Fleece, Bristol and the B&W one was at The Bullingdon, Oxford
All taken at cam's highest ISO (3200) with the 18-135 kit lens
Have since got a 70D too as I really like the layout of the X0Ds compared to the 650D I had (sold it to fund the 70D)

Thanks to richhrly and joe of loath for the advice - really starting to enjoy snapping again

traggig1.jpg

traggig2.jpg

traggig3.jpg

traggig4.jpg

traggig5.jpg

Edited by TWINSET
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...