• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

20 years later......now, what should I race with?

SigmaF

Well chaps,

It's been about 20 years since I last spent all of my paper round money on a Tamiya Super Shot......!!

It's Christmas time and the evenings are dark so I've decided it could well be the time to have a go at some indoor racing!!

Trouble is - knowing where to start!!

Could really do with some quick pointers as to what to look for nowadays - technology wise!!

Having done a little bit of research, it seems like getting the Tamiya M03 kit could be a good, fun, cheap starting point into racing!!

Do any clubs still race these? (I'm based in Notts).....

From what I can gather - a base kit with a damper/sping upgrade, some ballracers, a sport motor, different ESC and some good rubber is probably all that's needed for a fun little package......?

What about radio gear / batteries / chargers?

Any recommendations on some intro kit, good enough for racing competitively?

From from hazy memory......Futaba used to be a slightly better option than Acoms?

Look forward to hearing any advice!!

Welcome to the forum :)

Best thing to do is look on http://www.brca.org and find the clubs you would be interested in going to. If you then go along to a club meeting, you can see what classes they race, see what the atmosphere's like etc and there may even be someone getting out of the hobby to provide you with a good starting point.

It's easier to find the club first rather than the car ;)

• 3 weeks later...

welcome. i found like suggested its best to go along and see what people race. however at my local club i was a little shocked, everyone had brand new 08 cars, and only 1 person had an older car :( but by all means get a cheaper car to practice. id recomend a tamiya ta05 as these belt driven cars have all the basics of a