• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Hyper 21 8 port turbo - Start-up problems

Hi Guys,

I need some help with a starter problem. We have a Hyper 21 8 port pro turbo engine that has no pull start on it.

For some reason its not wanting to start at the moment. It has run and been tuned but now wont even fire. :(

Things that have been tried already:

New plugs.

Glow starter and receiver fully charged.

Bump starter fully charged

Tried various ways of priming.

Midrange needle still set at the right point

Piston and sleeve not scored or marked

No cracks in fuel tank

Needles set slightly rich.

It definatley has fuel in the bore, we have tried OS8 and OS5 (cooler) plugs.

Any suggestions welcome. I cant figure this out. :helpsmilie: :helpsmilie: :helpsmilie:

PS - how do I check the carb for leaks

So its been tuned? how much tuning have you done ?

tried heating up the engine with a hair dryer?

Sounds like the tuning might be off.

When you try to start it doesnt it fire even slightly ?

Try starting it with the throttle half open, also when you prime it open the throttle a little (i usually blow down the exhaust tube to force the fuel to the carb)

So its been tuned? how much tuning have you done ?

tried heating up the engine with a hair dryer?

Sounds like the tuning might be off.

When you try to start it doesnt it fire even slightly ?

Try starting it with the throttle half open, also when you prime it open the throttle a little (i usually blow down the exhaust tube to force the fuel to the carb)

Hi Danny/Indie,

I am going to go back to base settings to check and hopefully its just the tune? The head does get warm from turning over for so long. But I suppose we could try heating the head up?

Also, It is only a week old but second hand. We tuned it last week and then made it a little too rich to be on the safe side 1/8th turn.

But we also made it another 1/8th rich at the weekend as it was so freakin hot at the desert and wanted to be even more on the safe-side.

It does however make a slight pop as it goes over TDC (not compression but a hint of firing). Maybe this means it has been too lean and theres not enough fuel. But it showed no sign of bogging down on W.O.T. Even when it was getting some hammer.

Edited by mk3miniturbo