• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Glow plug problem

topgearmad92

Hi, I have an HBX VRX-2 PRO (Nitrotek) buggy, this is my first car as I am new to this hobby. I am having problems with the glow plugs & would like some advice. I seem to get through a glow plug every time I take it out, I know these are unpredictable things & can fail at any time but this much? Can anyone tell me if this an indication of another probem, hot engine etc or am I just unlucky. Which is the best make to buy?

thanks

It can be a problem when the mixture is too lean or too rich but more when the mixture is too lean unless your breaking the engine in.The best plugs in my opinion for handling an overlean mixture are McCoy MC-9's also OS 8s are good too.... :good: Try either as the GO.21 engine thats in the VRX-2 are a good performer..

Hi, I have an HBX VRX-2 PRO (Nitrotek) buggy, this is my first car as I am new to this hobby. I am having problems with the glow plugs & would like some advice. I seem to get through a glow plug every time I take it out, I know these are unpredictable things & can fail at any time but this much? Can anyone tell me if this an indication of another probem, hot engine etc or am I just unlucky. Which is the best make to buy?

thanks

Be very carefull, have you just got it or have you had it a while? reason being the factory settings on the carb are well out for some reason, i got my youngun one and it was a mile out on the LSN side so my guess would be your running very lean and hence the glow plug a run scenario and your on your way to a early blown engine :( , i'd either set the LSN needle to run a bit richer yourself or if you aren't to keen get it to your local LHS and get them to adjust it for you ;)

Be very carefull, have you just got it or have you had it a while? reason being the factory settings on the carb are well out for some reason, i got my youngun one and it was a mile out on the LSN side so my guess would be your running very lean and hence the glow plug a run scenario and your on your way to a early blown engine :( , i'd either set the LSN needle to run a bit richer yourself or if you aren't to keen get it to your local LHS and get them to adjust it for you ;)

Hi - thanks for the advice

I've had it since December, after breaking in the engine I tuned it & I don't think it's far off, at high speed there is a steady stream of smoke (more at full throttle). The LSN seems to be ok, when stopping with the pinch method it runs a couple of seconds, sometimes revs slightly & then stops. If I increase the tickover the car starts to creep forward so I think I have this about right.

• 3 weeks later...
must be running very hot then if your burning glow plugs, like ziggy as posted try richening it up a bit and see if that cures the problem

the car is fine now it was the wrong glow plug that came with the car so i was buying the wrong ones

thanks for the help any ways danny

that hyper i just got blow a plug with in 2 mins of first time starting it , and it was a McCoy MC-9, my other 2 cars iv had for a few week now and never had a plug go out on me yet, fingers crossed