• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Is it worn out

babylon

Right, I'v got a force 28 engine witch was going like stink, and then it started to slow down, lose tune and then stop, I tried to start it again but it was having none of it.

I got the engine home and gave it a complete strip down to try and fined the problem, but nothing, The piston and sleeve were spotless as was the crank shaft and con rod, Crank case, button and everything else was fine, I stripped down the carb and cleaned it out, Put it all back together and tried again, nothing again. What it does do is pop and thats about it, The engine fills up with fuel as if it's to rich but it doesn't hydro lock, and the fuel that comes out is a dirty brown colour.

Well 6 hours later and I had enough, and the only idea I have left is that it is worn out, The engine was second hand so don't know how much it had on it but I must have put a gallon on, It does turn over quite easy by hand but what is the best way to find out if it is simply worn out and if it is, What are the symptons.

Hmm this is a strange one, it sounds like you are losing compression. Is the pull start very easy to pull? Did it slowly get worse over the course of a few days/weeks or was it in the same day?

Damo

first things first mate check yer glo plug maybe its worn out

sounds like its gettin fuel ok and the air def shouldnt be a problem

these engines need 4 things to cause a fire in the cylinder ( correct me if im wrong anyone)

air, fuel, spark and compression so thats the order you should check em

hope this helps

Brand new plug was the first thing I put in and it's a Roto Start and it all happened at once, It slowed, Stopped never to go again, I dropped A bit of fuel in the top just to see if it would fire at all, But nothing, The only one time it did fire was when I held you engine upside down and turned it over and it emptied the fuel out of the crank case.

Also if I grab the flywheel with my thumb and forefinger and keep them straight I can turn it over(with the plug in).

Brand new plug was the first thing I put in and it's a Roto Start and it all happened at once, It slowed, Stopped never to go again, I dropped A bit of fuel in the top just to see if it would fire at all, But nothing, The only one time it did fire was when I held you engine upside down and turned it over and it emptied the fuel out of the crank case.

Also if I grab the flywheel with my thumb and forefinger and keep them straight I can turn it over(with the plug in).

If it has not as much compresion as before,i think you may have answered your own question lol

are you sure the piston and liner are seated??? would ne cheaper to change them than get a new engine me thinks

but i guess there just comes a time in any engines life when its time to retire

like steptoe said ... ive had this same brush for over 50 years ive only ever had to change the head 3 times and the shaft 5 times

are you sure the piston and liner are seated??? would ne cheaper to change them than get a new engine me thinks

but i guess there just comes a time in any engines life when its time to retire

like steptoe said ... ive had this same brush for over 50 years ive only ever had to change the head 3 times and the shaft 5 times

So who copied who,step toe or trigger? :D

I'm just gonna say it's worn out,I will remove all the shims and see if that helps, just a shame really as it was a real quick engine, I didn't want to admit it was a gonna as I have had a bad engine month, First to go was the crank shaft on a 3 litre old Hot Bodies 26, Then the Con Rod on my TTR 28, and now this, But I did have some luck, I picked up a new STS 28 for £44 and Mirage sent me a new Nitro Star F4.1 for the HB 26, So swings and round abouts really.

I'm just gonna say it's worn out,I will remove all the shims and see if that helps, just a shame really as it was a real quick engine, I didn't want to admit it was a gonna as I have had a bad engine month, First to go was the crank shaft on a 3 litre old Hot Bodies 26, Then the Con Rod on my TTR 28, and now this, But I did have some luck, I picked up a new STS 28 for £44 and Mirage sent me a new Nitro Star F4.1 for the HB 26, So swings and round abouts really.

I wish HB sent me a HPI engine instead, as I had the original force/ofna .26 which was pretty good, but the power factory was junk, it wouldn't start, and when it started it wouldn't run that good.

Your right, The Power Factory was pants, But I have still got the F4.1 in it's box as from what I read it is no better than the HB26, I think I will make an offer for a STS 30 on Ebay and see what that is like, they say there pretty quick.

Sorry to dig this thread up, but better than starting a new one, I have now got it running but am still not sure if it's worn out, I think I have got the HSN right but it still seems to be to hot, So I would like to ask two things, Could someone please give me the base settings of the Force 28 and also some of your needle settings would be nice.