• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

New Motor for Mamba ESC

RobG

I currently have two mamba max systems - the 5700 and the 7700. At the moment my 5700 is in my e-firestorm. Basically the motors just run too hot!! I want my brushless car to do 60mph which the MM5700 / 3S Lipo is capable of but it is too hot after about 5-10 mins.

Basically it is getting frustrating having 30 mins in the battery but only having 5-10 mins max before the motor is so hot I have to stop and wait for it to cool down. The MM ESC is fine and never thermals, but since there is no sensor on the mamba motors you have to be vigilant to watch the temps. I use the too hot to touch for a couple of seconds rule which isn't very scientiific but I haven't got around to buying a temp gauge yet. I think I may have already over heated the motor as it smelt a bit funny one time when it got really hot although seems to work OK still.

I don't think I am geared too high: 19T pinion 87 Spur (transmission ratio 2.6) running on tarmac. I don't really want to mess about with fans etc... and there is no room to fit a heat sink on the motor either. What I want is a sensorless motor that is compatible with my MM ESC that will deliver the 60mph performance on 3S Lipo but with out getting too hot after 5-10 mins. I think I need a lower Kv motor? Can some one recomend a motor for me? Where can I get it from?

Thanks! :good:

Rob

Yes you will need a lower KV motor, something around 3500kv like the VXL uses. Even less will probably be better, but you will be running an extreme gear ratio then.

Shame you cant buy the VXL Velenion motor seperately I bet that will work well with the Mamba ESC. I guess if I go much lower than 3500 I will need 4S+ to get the speed though? Trouble is I have paid out the best part of £200 for a decent 2S and 3S LIPO and so ideally want to try and do something with the 3S. If I geared to say a 14 pinion I am sure it would run 45mph all day but obviously to reach 55mph+ you have to gear it on the high side and hence the temps issues.

• 1 month later...
You could try a feigeo S or M?

Yeah, they sound good. Whats the best place to buy a feigeo?

Have you bought anything different yet? Id like to use something other then the mamba motor too.

Not yet... Kind of waiting to see how much the Mamba Monster Max is - maybe Castle will sell the motor seperately. I think the motor is based on a Neu 2200Kv and will probably be good value. I might get a 4600Kv MM to tide me over.

Not yet... Kind of waiting to see how much the Mamba Monster Max is - maybe Castle will sell the motor seperately. I think the motor is based on a Neu 2200Kv and will probably be good value. I might get a 4600Kv MM to tide me over.

i was going to get an ammo 2600 for my e-zilla

$35 off towerhobbies which isnt too bad

You could try the VXL motor, as I find it to be very good. I think Nemesis do a 10 turn S can motor, which is the same KV as the VXL motor, if you can't find it separately.

Yeah, the VXL motor is supposed to work well with the MM esc. You can run it on 4S if you disable the BEC as well. Some guy got a 4S VXL/MM ESC combo upto 78mph! Trouble is I don't know where to get the motor seperately from. I prefer to buy from B-P-P if poss as they offer free shipping and tend to avoid customs, another reason I am hoping B-P-P will offer the new MMM motor when it comes out.

Are you thinking of trying an MMM motor in the firestorm?

Yes, but mainly because I want an over rated motor for the job so that it wont get burning hot in 10 mins not because I want to break any speed records. Do you see any reason why it wont work?

Yes, but mainly because I want an over rated motor for the job so that it wont get burning hot in 10 mins not because I want to break any speed records. Do you see any reason why it wont work?

No, infact id be quite tempted to try my feigeo XL motor in my XXXT if it werent for the shaft size. Im pretty much thinking the same as you, my motor gets red hot and id like to try a different motor to try and reduce temps and increase speed.

• 1 month later...

Still seriously considering the MMM. The specs sound ace! Maybe thinking of an e-Revo in the future, but in the meantime would love to try it on the e-firestorm. Are the motor screws the same distance apart on the XL motors? Will the motor shaft be too long?

If you just want a normal size can, you can get Dynamite Big Stick Motors for

Just found this post - glad I did, as I was going to buy a Mamba & 5700 motor for my e-Firestorm. Sounds like that may not be a good idea.....

But...

I don't understand why there are problems with the mamba motors on this car though... Is it the gearing thats wrong??

HPI have brought out their "Flux" brushless kit, which has a 5700Kv motor in it - others have said its a rebadged mamba motor??

Isn't this what they will be pushing in their brushless version of the firestorm, so I'm lost as to why the 5700 is running too hot :confused: :confused: :confused:

The Flux brushless system is a rebadged Sidewinder system. Comparing my VXL on 6 cells to the Mamba Max on 6 cells, then the VXL motor definitely runs cooler. Also the VXL motor is exactly the same as a Feigao 10 turn S Can motor, but the only difference is that it has the protective cap and solder tabs on the motor.

Also i'm on the lookout for a Mamba Max ESC, as i've been told that the Mamba Max ESC/VXL motor combo is supposed to be really good.

OK - but if the Flux/Sidewinder system with a 5700 motor is going to overheat on the e-firestorm I don't understand why HPI would market them.

It appears that they will be bringing out a version of the e-firestorm with the Flux/Sidewinder system. If this is going to overhead and fail then they are going to have a shed load of warranty claims on their hands. :(

The mamba max and castle motors has been around a while now and usually get good reports - I'm trying to get my head round why your reporting that the motors overheat quickly in the e-firestorm :confused: :confused:

OK - but if the Flux/Sidewinder system with a 5700 motor is going to overheat on the e-firestorm I don't understand why HPI would market them.

It appears that they will be bringing out a version of the e-firestorm with the Flux/Sidewinder system. If this is going to overhead and fail then they are going to have a shed load of warranty claims on their hands. :(

The mamba max and castle motors has been around a while now and usually get good reports - I'm trying to get my head round why your reporting that the motors overheat quickly in the e-firestorm :confused: :confused:

Only thing I personally think it could be is bad gearing/meshing (I've had motors really lose a lot of power thru bad meshing but not strip gears for a while) or something binding in the drive train sapping power.

I reckon it os due to overgearing and wrong meshing, as most people will run it on the stock gearing which is actually too high of a gearing. The T4 and Firestorm have the same internal gear ratios I believe, and I found the sweet spot to be on a 17/18 tooth pinion.

Thought I'd just pop back in on this one...

The Flux runs a 4600 on 3S or a 5700 on 2S - with sensible gearing this wont give you heat issues. My trouble is that I run on 3S lipo on 5700 (allowed on mamba max) and need to gear fairly high to get 55mph+ speeds. The point is that if you want to go realy fast the motor overheats. The basic problem is that the motor is revving at about 60,000rpm to give you the high speeds - high rpm = heat issues.

From all I have read on the subject I have learned that the best way to get speed is with low Kv and High volts as this gives less heat. Thats why the VXL motor gives a lot less heat as it is 3500Kv - so even though you have to gear it higher it seems to stay cooler overall.

I have had a lot of fun with my mamba max's over the last 8 months and have had no trouble - the only issue is that I always have to stop because the motor gets too hot not because the battery runs out.... I just want care free running so I don't have to worry that I'm frying the motor after 10 mins!

I am pretty careful with my meshing - as a beginner I stripped a few spur gears - but learnt from my mistakes! As for gearing - if you stick a 23t pinion in you get about 3-4 mins before over heating!! Even with 18t it is hard to get 10 mins constant high speed driving without heat issues.