• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

How to install a fail safe?

tarmacjohn

Hi,

:helpsmilie: I have just bought a mirage failsafe for my hyper 7, her indoors has thrown away the packet. :angry: Now I don't know how to install it. I had a brief look for a previous post but couldn't find anything. Can anybody point me in the right direction. Thanks. John

Hi,

:helpsmilie: I have just bought a mirage failsafe for my hyper 7, her indoors has thrown away the packet. :angry: Now I don't know how to install it. I had a brief look for a previous post but couldn't find anything. Can anybody point me in the right direction. Thanks. John

Hi mate it goes between the throttle servo and the receiver,to program it switch on tx and the rx on the car after installation the light on the failsafe will flash.Press the button on the failsafe while at the same time applying full brakes and switch off the receiver while doing this and when its turned back on it should apply full brakes but only turn on rx not tx to test this.... :good: Hope this helps mate.... :)

Just to add to terminators post, dont set it to full brakes, just put light brakes so itll make it stop. If its on full brakes it could pop your servo if its left too long... I set my failsafe to the centre point so that if it kicks in the car just idles instead of heavily braking :good:

Hi,

I know what you mean mate, why can't they leave things ALONE!!!!?

I've never popped a servo yet applying full brakes,don't know where you get that from,i've installed enough to know, er 44 at last count and not one did that when set to full brakes.If your setups right it does'nt take much travel to get full and won't break nowt,you may like taking risks with your models Smithy but I don't.... :)

Edited by Mr Terminator
  • Like 1

If your brakes are quite stiff and it pushes them fully close then itll put strain on the servo because itll keep trying to push further ;)

A failsafe works in the majority of cases when the rx battery gets low and then applys the brakes to stop the car.Now if you've only set the brakes to come on say half way and idle the engine their the problem lyes.The servo takes it's torque from the motor and like a car starter motor does'nt work properly when the car battery is going flat and turns the motor slowly and the engine won't start,same thing here, the motor in the servo can't create enough torque to apply half brakes cos the failsafe has'nt been programed to go any further and it's no point having it there in the first place and you risk a runaway.If you've set full brakes the motor will take every bit of power out of the battery cos it's programed(the failsafe) to make the servo travel further therefore applying although not full brakes, enough to stop the car doing a runaway and it can't put too much strain on the servo cos the power left in the battery won't allow it and the failsafe is already programed to a set point anyway and even if the battery had full power would'nt keep pushing further just that set amount of torque programed.I know i'd risk a simple servo over a full model or another persons injury any day.Like I said better to be safe than have a wrecked car or maybe worse.... ;)

Edited by Mr Terminator

• 1 year later...
A failsafe works in the majority of cases when the rx battery gets low and then applys the brakes to stop the car.Now if you've only set the brakes to come on say half way and idle the engine their the problem lyes.The servo takes it's torque from the motor and like a car starter motor does'nt work properly when the car battery is going flat and turns the motor slowly and the engine won't start,same thing here, the motor in the servo can't create enough torque to apply half brakes cos the failsafe has'nt been programed to go any further and it's no point having it there in the first place and you risk a runaway.If you've set full brakes the motor will take every bit of power out of the battery cos it's programed(the failsafe) to make the servo travel further therefore applying although not full brakes, enough to stop the car doing a runaway and it can't put too much strain on the servo cos the power left in the battery won't allow it and the failsafe is already programed to a set point anyway and even if the battery had full power would'nt keep pushing further just that set amount of torque programed.I know i'd risk a simple servo over a full model or another persons injury any day.Like I said better to be safe than have a wrecked car or maybe worse.... ;)

hi i just got my hpi trophy 2 days ago and i want 2 fit a fail safe my self and just wondering what tx and rx stands 4 please this is my first ever car thanks and happy xmas

hi i just got my hpi trophy 2 days ago and i want 2 fit a fail safe my self and just wondering what tx and rx stands 4 please this is my first ever car thanks and happy xmas

now no what they mean but while u set the fail safe does the car need 2 b running

turn tx on, then your rx on, then turn tx off, and see if the brakes are applied

ps have you set it up or just connected it all? lol damn i read too fast

Ya it's all set up but when I take it out 2 Moro I'm just wondering how I no it's working

As stated above, to test weather its set up right...turn transmitter on, then your reciever, check that it all works by turning the wheels via tx etc, then turn your tx off and your brakes should be applied because the rx is not recieving signal from your tx

• 2 years later...

Hi,

Been having few difficulties with my first nitro (Hyper 7 mach 28)

Somehow hump pack fell off and car fully accelarted and into a kerb. i was wondering will a fail safe stop this from happening if hump pack was to fall out?

Also whats the best fail safe?