• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

HB lightning GT10

martin34

i had mine out today and after a few runs i shut it down and could smell burning i got my temp meter out and it was saying 308F but i dont trust the temp meter as i let it cool and did the same again and it was saying 187F. the top of the engine is hot but iv loads of smoke while running, do ya think it could be the LSN set wrong?

You'll get a faint burning smell from a new engine but it normally goes quickly. Try and measure temps off the glowplug if you can rather than the fins of the head as it'll be more accurate. The LSN needle should not make a huge difference to running temps as the real work is done by the engine at higher revs and that's affected by the HSN. My HSN is 2 turns out from fully closed and it's as quick as my 4.6 Savage flat out! Temp is 220F max.

might try 2 turns out, to see what its like, it starts no prob, at full speed its lots of smoke but it seems very hot when ya touch the engine

You'll get a faint burning smell from a new engine but it normally goes quickly. Try and measure temps off the glowplug if you can rather than the fins of the head as it'll be more accurate. The LSN needle should not make a huge difference to running temps as the real work is done by the engine at higher revs and that's affected by the HSN. My HSN is 2 turns out from fully closed and it's as quick as my 4.6 Savage flat out! Temp is 220F max.

The Low Speed Needle actually affects the temperature of the engine quite a lot. Here is a quote from the tuning guide

The LSN is very sensitive and you can potentially cook your engine if it's set too lean

And I have also experienced this. I had my HSN set very rich, but it would still overheat. It was because the LSN was too lean.

If it's set rediculously lean and idles alot on a lean setting then yes but the HSN is the important one that's why it's set first. On a 2 needle carb the LSN is only affecting about 1/4 of the throttle and the HSN is doing most of the work in general use. BTW, the manual also says to set the LSN to flush with the body and that ain't right either :)

It still affects it no matter what. I was told by my LHS owner that the HSN is like the main inlet (like a hose pipe without the nozzle on it) and the LSN is like the nozzle, it fines down the amount of fuel. I know someone who had their truck set at break in on the high speed, and lean on the low speed. He could not understand why it was rich but overheating, plus I have seen it. It's all because of the low speed needle.

My first breakage has occured and it's the rear center driveshaft part number HB66575. The pins have sheared at one end but it's only £7 for a pack of two. The body has taken a pounding as well and is quite brittle in the current temperatures! one of the drive cups came loose but it was only the grub screw that loosened up. Holding up quite well overall.