• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

plane circling over leeds

chris52

well today while at work i noticed a plane circling over leeds and with leeds and bradford airport only being close i thought nothing of it, until it circled continuousley for over and hour and a half.

being a nosey get i emailed sky news to see if their were any aircraft problems in the leeds area, this was the reply i got.

"Hi Chris

Thank for your email. The plane is, according to Leeds Bradford

Airport, a military aircraft. I'm waiting to hear back from the MOD about what

it's doing. Intriguingly the airpoort says it "can divulge no futher

information"!

Gerard Tubb

Sky News"

this realy is intriguing, i wonder what its doing????

chris

I Noticed the vapor trails this evening when I got home from work. You see vapor trails all the time in the sky, but not usually ones arcing in big circles :confused:

Pointed them out to the Mrs and thought it may have been a plane circling as there was something wrong at the airport preventing them from landing??

If indeed it was a mil aircraft, i wouldnt think anything more of it that a training excersice. If it wasnt, then there could have been problems with the aircraft its self, or maybe even problems at the airport. Doubt it would be a problem with the aircraft tho as they would never tell them to circle for that long unless it was maybe a landing gear problem.

well i asked the chap at sky news to let me know if he hears anything from the MOD.

i dont think it was taking pictures as it circled over the same area about 10 or more times each loop taking about 10 minutes.

chris

If it was military, it doesnt neccasarily need to be taking pictures, it could be a whole load of things. Also if sky does find out it was a mil aircraft, dont expect the MOD to release any details other than ''traning'' even if it wasnt.

If it was military, it doesnt neccasarily need to be taking pictures, it could be a whole load of things. Also if sky does find out it was a mil aircraft, dont expect the MOD to release any details other than ''traning'' even if it wasnt.

very true mate. if they dont want you to know they wont tel you. :confused:

chris

sky news have replied with this

Chris

The MOD have explained that the plane you saw was a French AWACS taking part in excercise Skylance, a joint excercise involving all three services but mainly maritime and air and including NAT and allied units.

So now you know!

Regards

Gerard

Sky News

Hmmm :confused:

chris

this is what the MOD say about it

Exercise SKYLANCE

17 - 28 September

LFAs 4, 7, 11. 12. 13. 14. 16. 17

The aim of Exercise SKYLANCE is to provide joint collective training in a multi-threat environment for UK units and invited NATO and Allied units and their staffs. In the region of 80 aircraft from 6 nations will operate from various bases in England and Scotland. The majority of the aerial activity will take place over Northern Enlgand, the Borders and most of Scotland, off the north, west and east coast of Scotland and limited areas of Wales and Southern England. There will also be considerable activity at Spadeadam, Cape Wrath, Loch Ewe and RAF Fairford.

The exercise will involve many different types of aircraft including Harrier, Typhoon, Tornado, Etendard, Rafale and Mirage. E-3s, Nimrods, VC-10s and Tristars will be operating at upper levels.

so basically it was a training exercise :whistling::confused:

chris