• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

cant run in my engine

cew27

When the engine is running

and its bogging out - do what some people find helps make break in alot better

keep pinching the fuel line - so that u stop / restrict the flow - allowing the engine to use up what is inside the engine (backup)

And when you hear the rev's raise about 1 - 3k let go and listen for it bogging :)

CBA to read it all....

Ziggy

i dont have a clue ..... it isnt a pig to tune .... i just cant get it lean enough to idle ... and im scared that if i lean it too much i will damage the engine

How much fuel have you put through this, what % and brand is it mate.

marty :)

its has had about 3/4 a tank on and off running for about 10 second burst .... its odonnels 25

Well mate that explains it to me you need to keep it running around not at idle cos it won't lol.

Don't lean it out its still running in, the piston will be that tight a fit on idle it will shut down,

if you have a temp gun run it around and try and get it to about 160 stop it after one tank, let it cool down making sure piston is at bdc.

Then another tank at 170 temp repeat this process untill it hits about 190.

try not to lean the engine go up in temperature by rapping tin foil around the cooling head.

It just sounds like you are tuning it way to early, forget about idle at this stage i know its a pain when it don't but it will eventually when the engine gets bedded in.

well it wont run with the carb open or anything as it just bogs

Get your new plugs tmw mate make sure they are hot ones cos i think your engine needs it to finish the break in to cooler plug on rich setting will just struggle to even run let allown idle.

right well what plugs .... shall i get an os8 and another hotter one?

I would get the a3 hot plug mate as i think you will need it with this engine for idle reasons, then once its broke in (at least 5 tanks) even after that it will be tight get the os8 they are more expensive than the a3 but the a3 is to hot a plug when you are leaning it out it will kill the plug in the end.

To be honest at the mo i am running an os 8 plug in my havoc on 25% tornado and its seen a gallon of fuel and is still going strong, i tried a cold plug i can't remember the make but it was just like what yours is doing cuts out when you take the ignitor off went up to an os8 and it was perfect, all engines are different its just trail and error which one suits your engine.

you can tell when a plug is colder because it does't have as many coils that make the element and tends not to glow as well.

the havoc as seen 1 and a half gallons now and its really showing good performance its wheelieng on command when it can get traction,

no slipper clutch just all the power going to the back wheels its a right beast to control i love it.

Have you considered you may have an air leak. Is the engine new? These things can still happen. I opened up an engine a few years back, was brand new btw and it had tiny flakes of metal inside from the piston i guess - must have not been blasted down properly in the factory.

Have you considered you may have an air leak. Is the engine new? These things can still happen. I opened up an engine a few years back, was brand new btw and it had tiny flakes of metal inside from the piston i guess - must have not been blasted down properly in the factory.

It can be posible mate but surely with an air leak at base settings it would react like it was tuned (a little to lively and rev at idle)

It can be posible mate but surely with an air leak at base settings it would react like it was tuned (a little to lively and rev at idle)

no it wouldn't mate, it will accualy act like its very rich in some cases :)

no it wouldn't mate, it will accualy act like its very rich in some cases :)

Hows that then mate more air = weaker mixture explain to me

im a mechanic and i ain't heard of that one before?

maybe it can on a nitro engine :confused:

but will the be smoke at idle and lots of unburned fuel

in my case it was fine intil i started reving it up and down, after a while it started to have the revs rise and fall by a few 1000 rpm.

Hows that then mate more air = weaker mixture explain to me

im a mechanic and i ain't heard of that one before?

maybe it can on a nitro engine :confused:

as the engine is starved of fuel it can do 2 things, first one being the revs go crazy to get more fuel and failing so it does it all the time heating up and trashing the parts.

2nd way it it will sort of stall for a sec, long enough to noticed, but short enough for the glow plug to stary hot and burn the fuel that does get in the engine, hence the rich thing happening, a hellfire did it at the race track last sunday :)

RUn RB06 with two copper washers or a OS A5 with one coper washer only :good: GO's have a very very long run in period, which is also a very hard one but it makes the engine last longer. read THIS also you might get better advice on RCModZ (Not saying that the advice here is bad/wrong! just the people on RCModZ have alot more expericance with GO's)

Edited by tjpMT2

as the engine is starved of fuel it can do 2 things, first one being the revs go crazy to get more fuel and failing so it does it all the time heating up and trashing the parts.

2nd way it it will sort of stall for a sec, long enough to noticed, but short enough for the glow plug to stary hot and burn the fuel that does get in the engine, hence the rich thing happening, a hellfire did it at the race track last sunday :)

Yeah i can see where your coming from but it must be fairly rare/bad look to get those symptoms

Yeah i can see where your coming from but it must be fairly rare/bad look to get those symptoms

depends how you go about it mate, if its a small leak then 2nd thing is posible, if like me its a big leak then the first is most proible. also depends on engine to engine and of wear ;)

depends how you go about it mate, if its a small leak then 2nd thing is posible, if like me its a big leak then the first is most proible. also depends on engine to engine and of wear ;)

Yeah the first one you said is the most common which happened to me with the havoc (front bearing leak).

well i got 2 rb#6 plugs today ane put 2 washers under it and IT WORKED the engine fired up and i manages to get an idle tank in with the help of scott :D now i need new linkages :?