• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Changing Oil

Andy Norfolk

Hi, I'm a bit new to this having just bought a Fg two weeks ago. Been running it on Castrol TT and wish to change if it's thought neccessary to a synthetic oil. Do i just let the engine run out (dry) of the previous mix or do I need to strip and clean it?

Is it Castrol TT or Castrol TTS you are using?

Ideally you dont want to change between synthentic and mineral based if you can help it.

I use the TTS and fine it good as it isn't very smokey and the car just seems better to me on it.

If you do want to swap a strip down and clean out would probably be the best thing to do,I have also heard of people changing the piston ring when changing between oils but I dont know why :lol:

Do you mean castrol super tt.

As castrol tt is for bearings.

If you are using Super TT why do you want to change as its a good two stroke oil

DAVE

Hi,

Its Super TT, quite happy with it but just wondered if a synthetic would be better for a longer engine life as quite happy with the performance!

Hi,

Its Super TT, quite happy with it but just wondered if a synthetic would be better for a longer engine life as quite happy with the performance!

Then if i were you i would stick with the Super TT then mate.

Its a good oil that wont give you any problems.

DAVE

Not yet I'll sort some out at the weekend.

BTW whats the best weight shock oil to use?

When I had mine I removed one shock off each corner and refilled the ones left with FG 500wt oil.

The stock set up of two shocks per corner is way to stiff and I think they have 1000wt oil in them.

Remove the rear anti roll bar as well if you haven't already,you do get a bit more roll but it frees up the rear suspension nicely so it actually moves.