• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Spur wheel advice - Hard or Steel

I'm looking at getting either the hardened Acetal spur wheel or the steel version, along with a pinion. 

Going from a 2s to a 3s and I'm unsure if the hardened version will be ok. Currently have the new version of the carnage. 

If you mesh it right....a steel spur isn't necessary unless you are getting issues with stones and grit getting under the shell andruibibng your spur. Had this bigtime on a mini Losi, which had a natural stone trap!

Personally, a steel spur gear is a last resort....so I would start with the acetal one, and only go steel if I stripped it.

Also important to make suire your pinion is right for your spur gear material. A steel spur eats a brass pinion.

Ah right ok. Problem is, I've removed the standard top plate for a carbon one and it's opened up the spur and the pinion setup. 

Planning on using a dust cover to try and protect the gearing. 

Would you try a hardened spur with a steel pinion?

20240328_121009.jpg

No. I wouldn't.

The only reason for fitting a hard steel pinion is because a steel spur gear would tend to cause excessive wear on a brass one. Acetal won;t do that... but the harder pinion might cause issues with the spur, especially if your mesh is not 100%. It's also just not necessary.

I try to avoid curing problems I don;t have when it comes to RC's, as you can often end up causing stress and issues elsewhere that you weren't expecting.

Edited by Nitroholic

Oooo, well in the time I've read this, I ordered a steel pinion of modelsport as they didn't have any hardened spurs in stock. Spoke to the fella and basically said what I did on here and he turned around and said the steel pinion would be OK with the standard spur for now. 

I do have my doubts but it's all a learning curve I suppose. I'm use to nitro and petrol models and this ones my first electric. 

So if I don't use the the steel pinion or spur, would you recommend just using a hardened spur when they come back in stock along with a standard brass pinion? 

Had a look at a video showing how to mesh and seems simple enough, famous last words.