• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Help converting a toy basis into something better!

Gene5535

Hi I have purchased a RNLI Severn Lifeboat RC boat, which is aimed more at kids, but I’m revamping it to make it into a “proper” model. It’s 47cm long, and the actual boats are 17.3m long, so I work that out to a scale of around 1:37. 

The first thing I’d like to do is to upgrade the RC from 27mhz, and put in new motors, prop shafts and props. I’d also like to add some running lights and a rotating radar (ideally using the remote control to operate those too). 

If there’s anyone that can help this newbie, I’d really appreciate it! I can solder and I’m good with most electrics, but I don’t really know where to start.

Thanks so much.  

IMG_2393.jpeg

Edited by Gene5535
Edit to what id like to do

youl probably find the receiver and speed controller are all incorporated on a pcb board so that will need be removed 

also it may not have a rudder and its steered by the motors if its got 2 if its only got 1 motor then it will have a rudder

so youl need a 4 or more channel transmitter/receiver combo if 1 motor a viper or something like that speed controller if 2 motors youl need 2 speed controllers

best get it up and running 1st then worry about radar and lights later 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

youl probably find the receiver and speed controller are all incorporated on a pcb board so that will need be removed 

also it may not have a rudder and its steered by the motors if its got 2 if its only got 1 motor then it will have a rudder

so youl need a 4 or more channel transmitter/receiver combo if 1 motor a viper or something like that speed controller if 2 motors youl need 2 speed controllers

best get it up and running 1st then worry about radar and lights later 

Yep it’s got two motors, no rudder. It runs as it is, and I’ve accessed the PCB board, but as I want to upgrade to a ghz system I want to find out A) if it even can be upgraded, and B) to what system, that will slow me to control the new lights etc. 

Thanks!

to work lights from transmitter you need an rc switch that plugs into a spare channel on receiver

or if you want them on when boat switched on you can solder a servo plug on to leds and plug into receiver 

I am pretty sure you cant convert a 27mhz board or transmitter to 2.4ghz and youl need to buy a 4 to 6 channel stick type transmitter/receiver combo (usually type used for aircraft )

• Like 1