• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Question about scale

Grogg

One of my mates who convinced me to buy my first and as yet still to be finished building RC car, has just given me a 1/8 scale truggy - the RC car I bought is 1/10 scale.  Besides size is there any differences between 1/8 scale and 1/10 scale, does one handle better than the other, is one faster - I can't imagine it being the 1/8 if so as all the engines I've seen for them have a lower KV than the engines available for 1/10 scale, is one more durable, easier for newbies?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stormbringer said:

the 1/8th will more than likely be faster than the 1/10th and will go over rougher ground as well

what 1 did he give you ?

He gave me the HoBao Hyper Cage Truggy that he bought, forgot he bought, then bought another one of.  It's missing wheels that I think it originally came with - I have no wheels for it and he didn't give me any with it, and it needs an ESC, engine, servo, reciever, and more than likely different batteries than I bought for my 1/10 scale to make it ready to use, so one order away from being a usable RC with next to no assembly required.

• Like 1

this should be a good combo for it

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/hobbywing-cml-ezrun-max8-with-2200kv-motor-combo-397267

possibly with a 17 tooth pinion and it should go well on 4s 

the esc will take 6s  but prob better sticking to 4s to start with 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Stormbringer said:

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/hobbywing-cml-ezrun-max8-with-2200kv-motor-combo-397267

I was hoping to be able to go higher than 6s, to 8s hopefully.

4 hours ago, Stormbringer said:

Also selection of truggy wheels here

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/wheels-tyres/wheels-tyre-sets/truggy-stadium/18?

it should be 17mm hexes

It is a 17mm hex, though I have no idea what the wheel offset or diameter is, and to be honest I'm struggling to find it, it's not mentioned in the manual anywhere, so I may have to wait until the next time I'm round his, and measure the wheels on the one he kept and uses.

1 minute ago, Stormbringer said:

8s in an 8th scale thats a tad ott  isnt it ?

No idea, I'm still building the first RC car I've ever had.  All this one needed to complete ''assembly'' was to use 2 screws and 2 spacers to attach the rear wing, I've no idea why it's rated as a 4 out of 5 for difficulty on Modelsports.  Including the rear wing and wheels there's probably less than 20 screws to do up to turn this thing into a fully functional rc car once you have all the needed electrics.

KV is no way to judge speed.  All KV tells you is unloaded motor revolutions per volt.

If you run a 2000KV motor on 6s ..... and compare it to a 5700Kv on 2S ....you get about the same revs. The amount of power generated though, is hugely different. The 1/8 buggies are usually running ESC's rated to 100-150A.

Wheels are easy. It's not like a 1/10 touring car, where many options are available to fit under the shell. Monster truck and truggy wheels come in 2 varieties. Half or zero offset. Your manual isn't specifying wheel dimensions, as it doesn;t really need to.  You can see from the pictures of hte stock wheels that the wheel nut is recessed. Zero offset wheels have the wheel nut sitting proud. You DO NOT want zero offeset, they will come too far in, foul the steering and cause issues.  Any of the others will be fine.

2200Kv is about as far as you can reliably go with a 6S setup. It's on the limits. 8S would be pretty much undriveable, and unreliable. It's not worth it. More is just not better unless you can get teh traction, and want to have the diffs usable for more than one run. Did it once...slapped the biggest motor I could fit into a Hyper St truggy, planned to run 6S. Couldn;t keep the diffs together, tyres ballooned so badly I couldn;t keep them on the rims and all it did was wheely and crash when it did run. Then it cooked the ESC. Probably from over-revving when the diffs failed.

• Like 2

Wasnt the Caged based on the Hobao SSTE?

4S-6S is best for 8th scale. 8S is too much IMO. I think youll be amazed how ridiculous the performance of an 8th Scale Buggy/Truggy on 6S. To give you an example heres a Maxx which is a big 10th Scale, a  Sledge (which is a “big” 8th Scale, that runs on 6S, compared to an X Maxx which os a typical 8S vehicle. 

image.jpeg.04a03d1d2f04a39b722905ccaeb6815a.jpeg

1/8 scale systems are lower kv for the extra torque and the motors are much larger than the tiny 1/10 scale ones, they are by no means slow 2200kv is pretty fast for 8 scale, infact my fastest car is a 1/8 hyper 7 on 4s but it can take 6s i converted  to electric from nitro with my hyper 7 🙂

Edited by Yrkoon
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Kpowell911 said:

Wasnt the Caged based on the Hobao SSTE?

4S-6S is best for 8th scale. 8S is too much IMO. I think youll be amazed how ridiculous the performance of an 8th Scale Buggy/Truggy on 6S. To give you an example heres a Maxx which is a big 10th Scale, a  Sledge (which is a “big” 8th Scale, that runs on 6S, compared to an X Maxx which os a typical 8S vehicle. 

image.jpeg.04a03d1d2f04a39b722905ccaeb6815a.jpeg

I think you're right about the caged being based off of the SSTE, the physical manual, not just the online one, contains the instruction for it as well as another Haboa RC and the caged truggy.

11 minutes ago, Yrkoon said:

1/8 scale systems are lower kv for the extra torque and the motors are much larger than the tiny 1/10 scale ones, they are by no means slow 2200kv is pretty fast for 8 scale, infact my fastest car is a 1/8 hyper 7 on 4s but it can take 6s i converted  to electric from nitro with my hyper 7 🙂

I'm not really sure on what engine and esc I want to use yet, the only thing I'm sure of is that I want to stick with Hobbywing as I have the Bluetooth thing to connect the esc to your phone to adjust a whole bunch of parameters on it, and I'd prefer it to be sensorerd.  I figured 8s was a good idea based on the size of the thing - it's more than twice the size of the Tamiya Rock Socker, it's surprisingly heavy most of it is aluminum, and it has a ''warning this is not a toy'' warning on the box and in the manual.

Edited by Grogg

hobbywing max 8 bud, good bit of kit i have the 2200kv combo in my hyper 7, and my corally kronos has a rebranded max 8 combo.

hobbywing max 10 is 10 scale and hobbywing max 8 is 8 scale etc

i have a few of the ten scale ones as well and they never skip a beat, pure quality 🙂

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/hobbywing-ezrun-max8-g2-esc-combo-with-4278sd-2250kv-motor-1347107

something like that 🙂

yeh the heavyness of 8 scales is why the kv looks low more torque but they run on 4-6s so more voltage and gets the speed up,plus the sheer size of the motors 🙂

5 scale ones are the size of coke cans lol

Edited by Yrkoon
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Yrkoon said:

hobbywing max 8 bud, good bit of kit i have the 2200kv combo in my hyper 7, and my corally kronos has a rebranded max 8 combo.

hobbywing max 10 is 10 scale and hobbywing max 8 is 8 scale etc

i have a few of the ten scale ones as well and they never skip a beat, pure quality 🙂

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/hobbywing-ezrun-max8-g2-esc-combo-with-4278sd-2250kv-motor-1347107

something like that 🙂

yeh the heavyness of 8 scales is why the kv looks low more torque but they run on 4-6s so more voltage and gets the speed up,plus the sheer size of the motors 🙂

5 scale ones are the size of coke cans lol

So far that looks like the best ESC and engine, I've just read a bunch of reviews on it and watched a number of youtube videos, and even read build threads on the Arma forum with people running that ESC and engine combo on 8s Lipos with no issues, in one thread over 2 years and counting of almost daily use.

heres my kronos with a rebranded max 8 system 2000kv if i recall   on 4s

6s would be too insane never mind 8

2 hyper vse's 8 scale buggys 2000kv 4s and my blue one was going slow as i forgot to recalibrate the end points when i changed my radio gear 😛  

heres dads hyper 7 converted to leccy with a max 8 2200kv motor on 4s

Edited by Yrkoon
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Stormbringer said:

thats the exact system we both have in our converted hyper 7's and dad has one in his converted hyper st a truck 🙂

dad is stormbringer btw 🙂

Edited by Yrkoon
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

what "S" will your mate run his on ?

I have a feeling, but I'm not sure, that the guy who gave me it runs the one he uses on 8s, though I'm not sure.  It's something I'm planning on checking when I go round his to measure his wheels.  Despite requiring no assembly, it looks and feels like a serious bit of kit compared to my Tamiya Rock Socker, and all the other Tamiya RC cars I've seen to date.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Grogg said:

I have a feeling, but I'm not sure, that the guy who gave me it runs the one he uses on 8s, though I'm not sure.  It's something I'm planning on checking when I go round his to measure his wheels.  Despite requiring no assembly, it looks and feels like a serious bit of kit compared to my Tamiya Rock Socker, and all the other Tamiya RC cars I've seen to date.

well so would a hyper 7, seriously 6s is really pushing it on a 8 scale and u seen the vids of mine on 4s with motors around the 2000kv mark 🙂

unless ur mate has a 5th scale model 8s makes no sense 🙂

• Like 1

my rustler has a 6000kv motor and that is ten scale and 2s and it gets burnt off by my hypers that are 8 scale on 4s with 2000kv range motors 🙂

the bigger and heavier the car the bigger the motor and lower the kv is but needs 4s to shift it 🙂

i would be scared to use 6s on my 8 scales and u see from our vids im not scared to thrash em 🙂

Edited by Yrkoon
  • Haha 1