• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Hello from the past

big_davec

I used to race RCs late 80s and early 90s.  My brother and I started with a Tamiya Boomerang then an Avante. Eventually I got another Avante (an ex model shop owner tweaked one with a carbon chassis). We both drifted away from racing, but I had another bash a few years later and upgraded to a Kyosho Lazer ZXRR, but again stopped. Would these cars be competitive now or compatible with the latest batteries and motors? Or is there any demand if I was to sell them?

• Like 2

Hello mate, welcome to the forum  :good:

1 hour ago, big_davec said:

is there any demand if I was to sell them?

I'm sure there will be mate, people love the older Tamiya and Kyosho models

• Thanks 1

On 04/11/2022 at 20:19, big_davec said:

Would these cars be competitive now or compatible with the latest batteries and motors? Or is there any demand if I was to sell them?

There is always a demand for the vintage Tamiya's and other makes too. 

My thought with using older RC's to race with or even just use in general is how available are spare parts. 
At a local club I once raced at they had a vintage Tamiya class which I guess would level the playing field rather than having the vintage cars against more modern variants. Maybe that's an option for you if you did want  to race them. 

Welcome aboard. :good:

Hey

Welcome to the forum 👋

You’ve got to love the old retro racers.
Some clubs run vintage classes for older 80’s 90’s buggys. Might be worth asking your local club if they run a class for it If you wanted some racing action again.

Otherwise as others have said there is definitely a demand for the older cars.

Edited by ljp83141