• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Budget racer

tonytiger88

Do anyone have experience of HPI quantum XB, can it take a hit. I read that if you hit a tree with the truggy version motor and pinion moves out of place, im just gonna use it for indoor racing but im pretty good bumping into the wall, will it be fine?  or is HPI maverick strada XB better option?

On 03/10/2022 at 08:16, tonytiger88 said:

Do anyone have experience of HPI quantum XB, can it take a hit. I read that if you hit a tree with the truggy version motor and pinion moves out of place, im just gonna use it for indoor racing but im pretty good bumping into the wall, will it be fine?  or is HPI maverick strada XB better option?

Am I right in thinking you mean the Maverick Phantom XB? That's the little black and green brushed buggy. They also do the Phantom XT which is the black and green stadium truck.

I've owned 2 Maverick Quantum trucks. The brushed Quantum MT and the brushless Quantum+ Flux XT. I've killed both of those and found any kind of head on collision will kill your front diff. I found them to be frustrating trucks as they're absolutely not good for racing as they handle poorly and theyre mediocre bashers due to being a little brittle in places. Certainly not suitable for running on 3S no matter what the packaging claims. The motor and ESC can handle 3S but everything else can't.

I'm assuming you're talking about buggies though so if you're looking at racing a 4wd buggy at a budget then the 3 main options are the FTX Vantage 2.0, the Maverick Phantom XB and the Absima AB3.4. The Maverick Strada XB strikes me as little more than a toy but that's totally going on "looks".

If it were me and I was considering whether to enter into buggy racing I'd be looking at the Associated RB10 but you're talking £300 plus batteries and charger. If you're sticking to a budget then get the FTX Vantage 2.0. It just seems to have the best part support and parts are so cheap it's not really an issue to replace and upgrade things. "Proper" race buggies aren't cheap.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Alex97 said:

If your planning on going racing then you won't want the quantum, I'd suggest before you order anything go down to your local club and see what they run. 

This. There's no point turning up to your local club with a 4wd buggy when they're all running pan cars.

Make sure you know what the club already runs with