• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Kyosho Inferno MP6 rebuild

Recently gotten back into RC stuff after a 20 year hiatus. Got myself an HPI RS4 MT2 which has been running (although the nitrostar 15 pullstart motor appears not to have an LSN) I also bought a 1/8th buggy. I knew it was a Kyosho but wasn't sure what it was. After some research it seems to be an MP6 Sport in pretty much original spec as well. I'm not racing only bashing so silly fast isn't a priority so I'm going to sympathetically restore it as best I can. I didn't pay a massive amount for the car. I've actually ended up paying more for spares 🤦‍♂️ 

The parts being replaced are 

1 missing drive shaft. The other 3 will be cleaned up and have a blast of black paint. 

New air filter

New glow plug

New fuel lines

New linkage kit (the brake side was missing but hopefully I can get the IF289, for the inferno MP9, to fit)

New Servo horns - the throttle/brake one is snapped. 

A Failsafe

New Pullstarter

I connected the engine up to the fuel tank on the MT2 with some fresh 16% fuel and it fired up. It died as soon as the glow start was removed though so it may need a bit of fettling and the correct fuel and plug.  But otherwise it should be a nice easy build. Ideally I'd like to replace the body shell but the wife has said no to spending any more on it for now. So I might try and strip the paint using some DOT4 brake fluid (saw on RC Talk that it works quite well). If I can remove the paint I'm thinking either the Turbo Burns McLaren scheme or maybe the Gulf scheme on a GT40.

20220901_143041.jpg

s-l1600 (5).jpg

s-l1600 (4).jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well I got it up and running. Ran really well if a little difficult to tune properly. Ran a full tank of fuel towards the end it melted the pull start handle off 🤦‍♂️ so I need to either repair that or replace it. Both seem to be difficult. The easiest option seems to be either a starter box or a new motor. Current one is the Landmax GS21