• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Lipo balance lead repair

Spunkymunky88

If you don’t already have one, get a soldering iron. They’re relatively cheap, then get some decent solder (pref with lead) and practice repairing on any spare wire you may have kicking around your place.

there are lots of videos on YouTube to explain in more detail.

soldering is a big part of Rc maintenance, so may as well give it a try 👍🏻

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ant.p said:

If you don’t already have one, get a soldering iron. They’re relatively cheap, then get some decent solder (pref with lead) and practice repairing on any spare wire you may have kicking around your place.

there are lots of videos on YouTube to explain in more detail.

soldering is a big part of Rc maintenance, so may as well give it a try 👍🏻

If i tear back the plastic on this lipo will it be ok to just tape back up 

19 minutes ago, Spunkymunky88 said:

Yeah its there to keep the pack together and I guess to allow a bit of expansion so don't go too tight/too many wraps of tape.

X2 @Ant.p said, IMO leaded solder is a must have unless you like punishing yourself, with wires running next to the cells I wouldn't want to add more heat than I have to, leaded solder flows at lower temps compared to the weird chinese lead free stuff. As for soldering iron, go for a varible temp solder station type if you can, I'm using one off Amazon that was about £35, has two hands on it to hold things together and I can dial temps in to not over heat etc. Buy some heat shrinking tubes while you're at it. 

Lead solder isn't as nasty as it sounds, the lead doesn't vaporise at typical soldering temps, the fumes and smells is the flux, in any event work in a fume hood or very well ventilated area. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spunkymunky88 said:

What Bert said 😁

19 hours ago, Bert_w164 said:

Yeah its there to keep the pack together and I guess to allow a bit of expansion so don't go too tight/too many wraps of tape.

X2 @Ant.p said, IMO leaded solder is a must have unless you like punishing yourself, with wires running next to the cells I wouldn't want to add more heat than I have to, leaded solder flows at lower temps compared to the weird chinese lead free stuff. As for soldering iron, go for a varible temp solder station type if you can, I'm using one off Amazon that was about £35, has two hands on it to hold things together and I can dial temps in to not over heat etc. Buy some heat shrinking tubes while you're at it. 

Lead solder isn't as nasty as it sounds, the lead doesn't vaporise at typical soldering temps, the fumes and smells is the flux, in any event work in a fume hood or very well ventilated area. 

I have tore the plastic back and i cant see where this cable was so im gonna say this is a loss battery

16618527926273374364040359250585.jpg

Should be one black wire attached to each cell. If you dig a little deeper, you’ll hopefully see a tab to solder to. 

looks to be the cell on the left in the photo above. You’re so close now 👍🏻

2 hours ago, Ant.p said:

Should be one black wire attached to each cell. If you dig a little deeper, you’ll hopefully see a tab to solder to. 

looks to be the cell on the left in the photo above. You’re so close now 👍🏻

In this circle here there a clump of solder i have a feeling its supposed to go there does that look right as the other cables are on the opposite side

16618527926273374364040359250585.thumb.jpg.04eb1a52d06c90193e43704367532ab4.jpg

I don’t think that’s it, no. Removing the yellow tape will reveal all.

here’s a handy video showing all in more detail I stumbled across on YouTube a while back: