• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Power an Engine Heater via Two 7.2 v NICADs/NIMHs ?

RcHov

Hi All,

Been following the forum for a couple of years, and so far all other posts have managed to answer my questions.

Could I power an engine heater via 2 x 7.2 v NICADs/NIMHs? 

I’ve got a 7.2V 1800MAH NICAD and a 7.2V 3600 NIMH (used for a rotoshart) so wondering if they would power the heater ok if connect them in series, after making a Tamiya to XT60 converter.

Cheers!

Edited by RcHov
formatting - spaces between lines

• RcHov changed the title to Power an Engine Heater via Two 7.2 v NICADs/NIMHs ?

I wouldn't, you have 2 different capacities and 2 different cell types, but depending on the voltage spec of the heater you could get another NiMH pack the same as you've got and series them up

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Fred barlow said:

I wouldn't, you have 2 different capacities and 2 different cell types, but depending on the voltage spec of the heater you could get another NiMH pack the same as you've got and series them up

Thanks Fred,

I did consider afterwards I'd have to put the higher capacity battery after the lower capacity battery, but didnt consider or understand a risk of mixing cell types.

I've got a 2S lipo too, so either go with anither lipo or NIMH pack, but rather go with NIMHs as less volatile.

Cheers again