• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

What do you recommend as a thinner for Shoe Goo (Original) ?

John Smith 69

Hello 

What do you recommend to thin Shoe Goo (Original) Black?

My options are:

A) Xylene (also known as:  Xylol or DiMethylBenzene)  [yes, I know it's highly toxic!]

B) Isopropyl Alcohol (AKA: "IPA")

C) PerChloroEthylene ( AKA: TetraChloroEthylene / "PERC" / "PCE")

D) White Spirit ("premium low odour" by Bartonline)

E) Acetone

F) Cellulose Thinners (by Simoniz)

I believe the solvents within Shoe Goo Original are "Toluene, Petroleum Distillates (flammable)" so I also have some Toluene on order, but that will take several days to arrive and I can't wait...

Background

I need a really strong bond between a thin sheet (aprox 0.6mm) of Natural Rubber Latex (NRL) and ABS plastic.  I am aware that the solvents within Shoe Goo will cause the NRL rubber to swell and therefore start to curl, so my plan is to stick the top surface to a solid surface using some "repositionable tape" (probably 3M Scotch Wall-Safe tape, or else painter's FrogTape) to physically stop the NRL rubber from curling.

Shoe Goo is extremely viscous and I need to apply it very evenly to prevent "lumps & bumps" from appearing in the outer surface of the NRL rubber sheet.

Any recommendations?

J

Edited by John Smith 69