• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX outback ranger 2 questions

Lone-wolf

Hi guys, i fancy getting a 1/10th small light weight crawler, semi scale, this model would fit the bill, but we know there are a few weak area`s..........so what would need replacing? i could replace the esc and radio from spares i have and they have a reputation for rounding out the diffs where axles go in, any thing else need doing?

Hi Jack, i bought an Outback Ranger 2 as my first crawler and think for what it is its brilliant. The steering servo lasted a week, replaced with a metal geared one, no problems with the diffs yet and its had some hard use. The wheels have been replaced with metal beadlocks and better tyres,(had to lift the body 10 mm for clearance ), added weight to the front of the chassis to balance it out, re stickered it and added roofrack and lights. With a 5000 nimh battery i get about 2.5 hrs runtime. Only downside with the stock electrics is the lack of a drag brake

All in all for the price imo it cannot be beaten

cheers, Ian

• Like 1

Have you had a look at the outback 3 ?  I have both outback 2 & recently the outback 3. The 3 is a big improvement IMO. Then again I haven't had any problems with the 2. As said, with the outback 2, shift the weight up front. All said though,  I think that the outback ( 2 & 3 ) is quite a capable rig for the money.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Yorkshireman said:

Have you had a look at the outback 3 ?  I have both outback 2 & recently the outback 3. The 3 is a big improvement IMO. Then again I haven't had any problems with the 2. As said, with the outback 2, shift the weight up front. All said though,  I think that the outback ( 2 & 3 ) is quite a capable rig for the money.

Cheers, i am wanting a 1/10 lightweight crawler, and the OB 2 fits the bill, i do like the OB3 and it would need much less doing to it, also considering getting the Austar 313 cheap scx clone chassis as i have all the parts to fit it out and make a new rig from it might have to sell a couple of cars as space is limited

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

While I’m waiting for my Double E  1/8th D110  L/R Defender to arrive I’m trying to amass parts to retrofit to it, a replacement Traxxas TRX4 4ch tx/rx is on the way, I’m also wanting (recommend please) a suitable & good Rx/esc combi  and a strong 20Kg replacement steering servo to start with, and a good brushless (quiet) motor, …. My first runs will be on our large lawn until I can find a fairly close more suitable site.

All recommendations gratefully received as at 84 I’m totally new to this hobby.

Jim

• 1 year later...

Sounds interesting, my ongoing buggy project is based on an outback 2 chassis , will put pics up when it's finished 

• Like 1