• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Running batteries in wrong mode

DRo

Hi

I've just picked up a 2nd hand car, with a Hobbywing 880 dual brushed esc. (and brushed motor). I don't have a programming card for it yet (I've just ordered one) so at the moment have no way of telling whether it is currently set to lipo or nimh mode. Am I going to damage anything if I run it with the wrong type of battery for a few days until the card arrives, and if not, is one way around less risky than the other? ie. lipo battery in nimh mode, or nimh battery in lipo mode?

If I just get a loss of performance or something then that's fine as it's only short term - I just don't want to damage the esc or kill a battery.

Thanks!

You can destroy a lipo battery in nimh mode because a lipo needs the safety of a low voltage cutoff, a nimh will safely discharge to a lower voltage than a lipo and still recover. 

You can use a low voltage lipo alarm instead on any ESC without an LVC, they just plug into the balance cable and beep like hell when the voltage is getting down to your preset alarm point. 

No there doesn't seem to be any way to do it. I've seen videos of people doing that but they seem to always have a button to hold down to get into that mode, but I don't seem to have anything like that. Never mind, hopefully the card will arrive in a few days, until then I'll just keep a close eye on my cell voltages and not run it too hard. Thanks.