• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Newbie - sort of...looking for some advice

Hyper_Drive

Years ago and I mean years, I bought a Hyper 7 without really knowing what I had  bought. i used it quite regularly and managed to keep it well maintained other than the engine. I broke the original engine so took it to my local store in Crowthorne who replaced and tuned it.  All was good, until they changed their fuel. The problem was, I didn’t retune the engine to suit and I think it’s now broken!

i moved house, had my second son and lost most of the part/equipment associated with the car, but as my boys became older, they kept going on about getting it back on the road/track. 

There is so much more support on the internet these days to give me the confidence to repair and get it up and running again, but my local store is now closed.

So I suppose the first question is, do RC car shops still exist on the high street and the second is if so where?  If not, where can I buy parts online?

Much appreciated . 

Hello, Welcome!

You picked a great rc car with the hyper 7 is an indestructible tank.

A few local shops are about, you need to look hard for them as most dont have an online presence if any.

Spares for the hyper are readily available online from uk retailers (depending on how old the hyper is) you can download a manual and dig in or let us know were your based and im sure some one will know a shop near to you to visit.

If your willing to drill an extra hole in the chassis they are also easily converted to brushless, heres my old nitro hyper 7 from 2005 rocking 8s power. The parts are strong and can take it!

IMAG1707.thumb.jpg.7fce92ff57724ce691243d5737c5ac6a.jpg

Most people put a hobbywing max 8 3-6s or equivalent system in and its night and day faster and more responsive than nitro.

You can also find tons of details, tips and mods in the owners thread, just ask away no question is to small.

Edited by Redback
  • Like 3

Plenty of parts available online, though high street shops are now pretty scarce.

Any reasonable pull-start big block motor will slot in your hyper, assuming its actually broken. This first job will be to work out what's wrong with it..then we can suggest what to do to fix it up.

My Hyper 7 got a brushless conversion too, which was fairly simple to do. I got a bit carried away with the modding though....

SQo7AnM.jpg

Edited by Nitroholic
  • Like 1

Thanks both. That’s a great starting point. I’m just coming off a big project, so hopefully I’ll start finding some time to tinker. I suppose the first thing is get everything charged up (I’ll have to read the instruction again to remind myself) and source some fuel. Then I can see what’s working. 

I live near Reading 

ABC6E73E-8CB4-404B-8ECD-220BEBD75D59.jpeg

Edited by Hyper_Drive