• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Join me as I build the truely inconic Tamiya Hotshot radio controlled off road bubby.

Paul_Fulton_RC

I find Tamiyas like this interesting....but hell, no way would I open the wallet and buy one.

Can;t find the heart to put more than £200 into a brushed motored, non ballraced buggy. There are a few cars that I can understand the Tamiya Love ..... and some that are good value....but a lot of them I just don't 'get'

Sand Scorcher...Wild One...the wacky 6 wheel bus....Mad Bull ....  Those I can see, along with the cheap entry level stuff like the Lunchbox or Hornet.

But, that said...I still enjoyed watching the video 🙂

10 hours ago, Nitroholic said:

I find Tamiyas like this interesting....but hell, no way would I open the wallet and buy one.

Can;t find the heart to put more than £200 into a brushed motored, non ballraced buggy. There are a few cars that I can understand the Tamiya Love ..... and some that are good value....but a lot of them I just don't 'get'

Sand Scorcher...Wild One...the wacky 6 wheel bus....Mad Bull ....  Those I can see, along with the cheap entry level stuff like the Lunchbox or Hornet.

But, that said...I still enjoyed watching the video 🙂

Thanks Pal. I just like how different they all are, I would think twice before I put money into something Like a Lunchbox or Hornet, To me they are just not interesting due to poor design and lack of performance, But thats what I like about Tamiya, there is something for everyone. I have just come from Arrma cars and with them I ended up feeling ripped off due to each model being a slight variation of the next. With Tamiya I enjoy the build and the problem solving involved. Thanks for checking out the vid.

• Like 1

I know what you mean about problem solving....I have only built a couple of Tamiya cars....and on each...there was something that needed sorting 🙂

ARRMA, like Traxas and others do seem to churn out iterations of the same chassis with a different bodyshell and wheels, and once you have one....well...there is no need or reason to buy another. Its why I pretty much end up making custom one off builds rather than buying stock cars. There just isn;t the incentive or the pleasure in the finished product. But I do wish in some cases that Tamiya would fix some of the niggly issues or where they have old, old kits that haven;t been improved...they would drop prices.

I mean, I sort of fancied a Clod Buster ( I'm a truck guy...its one of the original trucks....) but at £279 for the kit, plus a bearing kit meaning a basic, brushed motor truck is over £300...... and for that sort of money, its dangerously close to an SMT-10 builders kit and a 12T brushed motor and ESC. Sure, the Axial needs tyres and a shell...but the Clod is in oddball wheels and friction dampers...and there are upgrades still to go!

Mind you....I do feel the temptation to take a Tamiya model....and try and really bring it up to date. That could make for a very intersting project, grafting in proper diffs, suspension etc. hmm..... now thats got me thinking 🙂

• Haha 1

On 03/11/2021 at 00:54, Nitroholic said:

I know what you mean about problem solving....I have only built a couple of Tamiya cars....and on each...there was something that needed sorting 🙂

ARRMA, like Traxas and others do seem to churn out iterations of the same chassis with a different bodyshell and wheels, and once you have one....well...there is no need or reason to buy another. Its why I pretty much end up making custom one off builds rather than buying stock cars. There just isn;t the incentive or the pleasure in the finished product. But I do wish in some cases that Tamiya would fix some of the niggly issues or where they have old, old kits that haven;t been improved...they would drop prices.

I mean, I sort of fancied a Clod Buster ( I'm a truck guy...its one of the original trucks....) but at £279 for the kit, plus a bearing kit meaning a basic, brushed motor truck is over £300...... and for that sort of money, its dangerously close to an SMT-10 builders kit and a 12T brushed motor and ESC. Sure, the Axial needs tyres and a shell...but the Clod is in oddball wheels and friction dampers...and there are upgrades still to go!

Mind you....I do feel the temptation to take a Tamiya model....and try and really bring it up to date. That could make for a very intersting project, grafting in proper diffs, suspension etc. hmm..... now thats got me thinking 🙂

I know what you mean regarding the Clodbuster. I like the look of it I really do. But all it would do is sit on a shelft and look cool. I know the performace would be totally underwhelming. Saying that the New USA 1 looks awesome. Yerhh I hope the new Tamiya's like the New Anante and Astute are a new direction for Tamiya. I took my TA02 out today with a Max10 and 4000KV motor and I was impressed. Wish I knew enought to fabricate my own style of RC's like custom builds. I'm new to the Tamiya Kits so they all seem pretty epic. I took a Hotshot out today too and that was fun for what it is. Also on 2s with 4000kv motor. The ESC can run 3s so I could try that as long as I make sure I can get replacement gears before I try it LOL.

• Like 1