• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Buggy Diff Oil

Kyo

Hi Folks,

I'm looking for some diff advice for my Hobbyking Rattler.  It's a 1/8 (well more like 1/9 really) buggy with front/rear diffs, no centre.

Currently it only has stock grease in the diffs and is very tail happy on loose dirt where I mostly run it - I'm considering switching to oil but a bit confused on the weights.  Most of the info I can find is based on having a centre diff too.

Would like a 40/60 ish split front/rear if possible, can anyone advise on oil weight?

Thanks
Dave

Without a centre diff you'll always have a 50:50 split unless one side (L:R) is sliding. 

Generally for offroad driving you want thicker oil in the front. I'd try 10k front and 5k rear if running 2s. Step that up to 20k front and 10k rear running 3s. 

If the diffs don't have a seal then pack the front with loads of grease and put a bit less in the rear. 

Awesome thanks, I will start with those and see how it handles. Both diffs have seals so should be ok with oil I think.

Parts support for the car is non existent so just using it on 2S to learn this kind of stuff before purchasing something better.

• 2 weeks later...

While waiting for the diff oil to arrive I thought I would give the suspension a once over. Always seemed like a bit of a black art to me before. Did a bit of research (glad I found this forum its awesome) and adjusted the toe and camber all round also put some shims behind the wheel hubs.  The difference is incredible, it actually does what I want now, the oversteer is much more controllable 😀

Still going to play with the diff oil I think, just to learn the effect before getting a bigger car!