• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

How are Nitro RC cars compared to Electric?

browlciba

I know a Nitro RC car takes more work, but I couldn't actually figure out what is more work. All I could find was "if you like the constant tinkerin router login g/work, nitro could be good". But was is that tinkering? What would I actually have to do? (Also any good off-road/rally nitro kits for 400 ish?)  192.168.0.1

Edited by browlciba

Fuel tuning, air density has an impact. 

You need a starter box or a pull starter or roto drill bit to get it stated. 

You have to carry fuel around. 

You need a glow plug.

Clutch/brakes need servicing.

Nitro smells and is messy. 

No hatred towards them, nitros are cool if you don't mind the effort, but electric is pretty simple, charge a lipo away you go. Braking done by motor so less consumables, I think it boils down to preference and what makes you tick. 

Imo the power delivery of a nitro, hearing it rev up is pretty special. 

• Like 2

Tinkering is all about the tuning.

Nitro engines are very sensitive to air temperature and pressure changes, and to get best results, tweaking of the tuning is needed to adapt to the conditions. this means that just about every run, you end up tweaking the tuning a little to get it to run 'just right'. Some folks don;t enjoy that. They just want to plug in switch on and get a predicatable response.

Clutches do wear out, and again...you can fiddle with clutch shoe materials and spring weights to get the feel and pickup you want. Plus, of course, the clutch bell bearings need regular service and periodic replacement.

Nitro owners enjoy the challenge of getting their car running at the sweet spot where the engine temperatures are spot on, power is maxed out, and it's ripping along in a haze of smoke and noise.

Then, of course, when you stop.....you can't just pull out a battery and put it away. It will need a clean up, and I always throw a few drops of after-run oil down the cylinder, and make sure I park the piston at bottom dead centre. This is because nitro motors cylinder sare not parallel...they narrow towards the top to give compression and a good seal. So...when you leave a car, you don;t want the piston up in htat zone where it can stick. So...glowplug out...after run oil in...look where the piston is, and park it at the bottom. Glowplug back in. Then drain off any fuel left in the tank. Oh...and don;t forget to clean and re-oil the air filter! It won;t run right with a dirty air filter stopping ariflow.  Thats a Nitro.

I love them

Edited by Nitroholic
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nothing much to add to the excellent posts above except that electric is also more convenient in terms of where you can run them. You'll soon wind up the neighbours if you start running a screaming nitro out in the street!

Im a nitro fan personally.