• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Arrma Typhon v5: how to change pinion?

eddywatson

Hi guys 
I wanted to change the stock pinion on my typhon v5 to the optional speed pinion they provide in the box… I’ve never done it before. This might sound stupid but is it the cog that’s attached to the motor? If so what is the best way to get it off? I can’t see the shaft so I can’t remove the grub screw.
I know il need to unplug the 3 motor cables and undo the top 2 screws (so it can slide) but I do I need to remove the full motor from the car to be able to change the pinion?
Any tips advice or home videos provided would be greatly appreciated 
Thanks for your time

FA2EFE36-3A3F-40F7-AB1D-856A0E88E14B.jpeg

F1D0EA9B-7DF4-4D57-A90F-4CB17A6A7C48.jpeg

F5834A48-06A8-464D-AB32-914CF983B19A.jpeg

CEB1BA6C-62E6-4DED-8F04-6CA8DAA1FEE6.jpeg

You should be able to take the two 2.5mm screws out the top of the motor mount, slide the motor out, rotate the shaft by hand to line up the pinion grub screw with the cut out on the mount. Use a 2mm driver to undo the pinion and slide it off. Put the bigger pinion on and slide the motor back into the mount and screw the two scews back in. Set your gear mesh (pinion and spur) so its tight but theres a little “rocking” between them. Remember to lock tight the screws back in