Jump to content
  • Join our community

    Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

MAXX 4S OWNERS THREAD


turok007
 Share

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, bertberr said:

I'll keep that in mind should I go down that route.  Do you reckon heat would be an issue using a 4068 can circa 2650kv (geared down a bit)? 

I think thatd be perfect on 4S. Potentially where Ill end up. Although I dont think you should even consider changing the stock motor. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

TL;DR
+1 on the 4268 2600kv. On 4S, just keep the stock motor or if you really want more torque, get a bigger can but keep the KV above 2400. 
 

 

 

I started with a 4274 2000kv, but that meant high gearing (27/46) and high amp draw, motor didn’t feel snappy, runtime sucked and the batteries got pretty warm for my liking(CNHL G+Plus 70C 5000mah).
Needs 6s in the heavy Maxx and I wanna keep it 4s even though I am running a Max6.

 

Next, I tried the Rocket 4076 2250kv on 24/46.

Better, everything stayed a bit cooler, runtime was better and throttle response was much nicer.

Even though the top end is the same between the 2 setups, the 2250kv just runs in a more efficient RPM range and doesn’t have to work so hard to get up to that speed and also spins up faster cause of the lower gearing. 

 

Will try it again on even shorter gearing like 24/50 but also ordered a 4268 2600kv to test.
Should be perfect as Kpowell911 said. 
Higher rpm and lower weight while still producing more torque than the stock 3670, seems like a winner to me 👍.


Not sure on gearing yet, but I honestly don‘t need my Maxx to do 60mph so probably relatively short like 21/50. 
 

I also had changed my diff setup prior to testing the motors. Running 50k/200k/30k F/C/R and liking it.
Would go lighter in the center if I ran it on a track or something like that.

But for general bashing I find it more controllable than stock, while still keeping it “lively” enough to be fun.

 

And if anyone cares, it will still do wheelies but obviously not as easy as with the 20m in the center diff (that’s with the extended chassis btw.)

 

 

Edited by Snowmandk
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Kpowell911 said:

Ive not tried a 540XL, theyre very cheap on Jennys, may need to pick one up

It’s actually a perfectly adequate motor for a stock Maxx.
Good punch and runs relatively cool if you keep the gearing conservative (stock or slightly lower).

 

It does start cogging a lot if you add bigger tires like the Backflip LPs, run big batteries or/and gear to the moon. A bigger motor with more torque is much smoother, even unsensored.

 

I reckon you wouldn’t like it that much, not how your Maxxes are set up and how your used to that bigger can.
If I remember correctly one Maxx of yours has/had a 3670 motor in it and you didn’t like the cogging. The 540xl isn’t going to be that different unfortunately.

 

 

Completely unrelated, but I hope the clear bodies come in stock soon. Absolutely hate the yellow one I got 😅

Edited by Snowmandk
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What's the general concensus amongst you Maxx owners on which tyres are best?  I know the Backflip LP gets a lot of love, but what about the Trencher LP?  Ideally want a medium grip tyre with 1/2" offset wheel, as I'm staying standard width.

 

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/pro-line-trencher-lp-38in-all-terrain-tyres-mounted-8x32-raid-wheels-17mm-hex-2-447353

 

Also thought about the JConcepts Fling Kings for the LMT, like the look of those too.  I won't be running much on concrete/tarmac, and when I do I'll chuck on some 3.8 Road Rage boots.  Mainly loose gravel, dirt, some grass.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I run Backflip LP 4S, and Trenchers on mine. I PREFER the Backflips BUT to get them on offset wheels I had to buy un mounted and glue myself. 
 

Another option is to buy some E Revo 2.0 wheels/tyres. Theyre offset. You can get them from a breakers for cheaper

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Are they the Trencher LP you have?  I believe the Proline pre mounted trenchers on raid wheels come with a 1/2" offset hex.  I looked at the erevo wheels on jennysrc and I only found them as pre-mounted with revo tyres.  Where have you seen them separately?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, bertberr said:

Are they the Trencher LP you have?  I believe the Proline pre mounted trenchers on raid wheels come with a 1/2" offset hex.  I looked at the erevo wheels on jennysrc and I only found them as pre-mounted with revo tyres.  Where have you seen them separately?

My Trenchers are on 1/2 off set Proline Raid Wheels. 

 

I thought Pre Mounted Backflips come on non offset wheels from Arrrma so I bought the Backflip Tyres on their own and glued them to standard E Revo 2.0 (wheels only) as theyre offset. 
 

However, people run E Revo 2.0 Wheels/Tyres, like the ones on Jennys. Thats what I meant. 
 

For the record I had no issues with stock wheels/tyres

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

First proper bash with the Maxx yesterday, if you exclude bimbling around outside the house.  All I can say is...this thing is a complete tank.  The run area was a recently 'leveled' plot behind where I work.  The big earth moving equipment left a couple of days ago, leaving a predominantly gravel / stone / dry earth surface,   On 4S (I won't be running 6S), the Maxx was a real hoot, very controllable even with the TSM switched off completely.  The previous owner had done a good job tuning the diffs, little to no diffing out and no crazy front tyre ballooning.  Might go slightly firmer on springs and up the shock oil a bit, but overall it drove really nicely.

 

My only previous experience with 4S is on 1/8 buggies, this thing is much more fun though obviously handling prowess is no where near that of the buggies.  Nice to have a choice now based on where I'm running / mood etc.

 

Towards the end of the run, with the car right over the other side of the site, at full tilt, so guessing 45mph+, I hit the top of an old brick that was mostly buried in the ground, with say 3-4" proud of the surface.  About a dozen cartwheels later, body twenty odd feet away, I wandered over sheepishly expecting the worse.  But off it drove with no obvious problems, got another 5 mins of trouble free running / crashing before calling it a day.  On closer examination, the brick had taken a chunk out of the side of the front hinge pin retainer and a fairly big chunk out of the front A-Arm, but loads of meed left so no issues there.  Couple more cracks in the already fairly tired body that will need stitching / shoogoo, tape etc, and one tyre needs a bit more glue, but overall I left extremely impressed with this rig. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, bertberr said:

First proper bash with the Maxx yesterday, if you exclude bimbling around outside the house.  All I can say is...this thing is a complete tank.  The run area was a recently 'leveled' plot behind where I work.  The big earth moving equipment left a couple of days ago, leaving a predominantly gravel / stone / dry earth surface,   On 4S (I won't be running 6S), the Maxx was a real hoot, very controllable even with the TSM switched off completely.  The previous owner had done a good job tuning the diffs, little to no diffing out and no crazy front tyre ballooning.  Might go slightly firmer on springs and up the shock oil a bit, but overall it drove really nicely.

 

My only previous experience with 4S is on 1/8 buggies, this thing is much more fun though obviously handling prowess is no where near that of the buggies.  Nice to have a choice now based on where I'm running / mood etc.

 

Towards the end of the run, with the car right over the other side of the site, at full tilt, so guessing 45mph+, I hit the top of an old brick that was mostly buried in the ground, with say 3-4" proud of the surface.  About a dozen cartwheels later, body twenty odd feet away, I wandered over sheepishly expecting the worse.  But off it drove with no obvious problems, got another 5 mins of trouble free running / crashing before calling it a day.  On closer examination, the brick had taken a chunk out of the side of the front hinge pin retainer and a fairly big chunk out of the front A-Arm, but loads of meed left so no issues there.  Couple more cracks in the already fairly tired body that will need stitching / shoogoo, tape etc, and one tyre needs a bit more glue, but overall I left extremely impressed with this rig. 

Knew you would be! Ive sheepishly walked over to mine after a crash to find its fine 🙂

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Can any Maxx owners recommend either a 17mm Thin Wall Socket (either 3/8 or 1/2 inch drive) or a specific 17mm hex wrench that will fit inside the standard Maxx wheels?   My old Thunder Tiger wrench that I use fine on my 1/8 buggies, is a bit of a pain on the Maxx.  The 17mm part fits into the wheel hex aperture OK but because the offset on the Maxx wheels is quite high, when you turn the handle the tool and your knuckles are scraping across the face of the wheel/tyre.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
49 minutes ago, Kpowell911 said:

Im lost. Is capped good or bad haha?

He’s happy! I’m pretty chuffed with it to. Had a bit of play with it and I’m impressed.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, LunsfordRich said:

He’s happy! I’m pretty chuffed with it to. Had a bit of play with it and I’m impressed.

Other than the price, I think theyre epic! You might need CVDs at one point, which isnt cheap, but I love the truck 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I love the truck too, great basher for where I mostly use my rigs.  Mine has the CVD's but is still standard width, which, again, is fine for the loose surfaces I run it on.  Still has the standard ESC too, which I was expecting to be utter crap based on what most of YT were saying, but I've found it OK so far.  Servo is weak though, will be replacing that soon.  Overall, a tough, fun rig, just glad I didn't have to buy it new...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Kpowell911 said:

Other than the price, I think theyre epic! You might need CVDs at one point, which isnt cheap, but I love the truck 


To be fair when I got it out the box it felt like quality if you know what I mean? Apart from the plastic driveshafts it seems top notch. Steering servo doesn’t seem to bad at all!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

So the Maxx is fast becoming my favourite R/C. Great fun, it’s surprisingly fast, handles well, and when something breaks the parts are cheap. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, LunsfordRich said:

So the Maxx is fast becoming my favourite R/C. Great fun, it’s surprisingly fast, handles well, and when something breaks the parts are cheap. 

Id love to compare mine to a stock one, but mines been incredible. Maxx and an X Maxx is the perfect off road Garage IMO

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Kpowell911 said:

Id love to compare mine to a stock one, but mines been incredible. Maxx and an X Maxx is the perfect off road Garage IMO

Just bloody good fun. I liked my Dads so much I hit one via a cheeky eBay bid. Mines the same except for having lights and the traxxas link fitted. The lights make me chuckle, brake and reversing lights along with headlights!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...