• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Transmitter and Receiver

spitfire091113

to be honest what ever you want to use 

do you run other cars and want to have them on 1 transmitter or do you want the cheapest and use a controller per car ?

'Best' is one thing ..... best budget...well...thats another, and best under £100 is another thing altogether.

One thing to consider is whether, at any point, you might want to add a second car to your collection and want to use the same radio without swapping stuff around every time.
That means buying additional receivers and having a radio with multi model memory, so you can have different settings on each. It's nice to have...but some radios have VERY pricey receivers.

So check that out if you end up looking for reasons to choose one over another.

Heres a few to look at:

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/sanwa-mx-6-radio-set-with-rx-391w-431464

Sanwa make some very nice radio gear, and the high end stuff is excellent. I really liked the feel in the hand of hte one I had. This is their entry level unit, and it's basic...but has all the functions. It would do the job very well, but it's the budget model, so consider also you are porobably paying a premium for the name as well. The receiver is waterproof...and the radio has a 10 model memory... £30 for extra

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/futaba-3pv-3-channel-2.4ghz-t-fhss-dry-and-r304sb-combo-404492

To be honest....this is probably where I would spend the money. It's a mid range set, and a step up from Futaba's entry level radio. I have had a few Futaba sets, and they have all worked perfectly. They do not feel quite as 'nice' in the hand though, and manage to look like cheaper radios, but in operation...both in terms of response and reliability...they were flawless. The near £50 cost of spare receivers is offputting for some ( and the main reason I don't have a Futaba set right now), but for a single vehicle set....this really does everything you would ever want including telemetry and 4WS steer mixing.

I used to use Spectrum gear as well, but when they swapped from the old 12V systems to the 6 volt ones, a lot of folks started to get signal dropout issues. I tried one set, but sent it back as faulty. There was a very specific area of a local park, where it just would not work...and the signal would fail. No idea why...it just did. electric RCs would coast to a halt, nitros would kick the failsafe in etc. always the same place. Something was braodcasting interference and it couldn;t cope. My cheapo FlySky radio was fine....as was my old DX6. Considering they are not cheap.....they ought to work better, and I lost confidence. I also dopn;t like the gimmicky stuff they are putting on these days with AVC. Don;t want or need it...so don't want to pay for it.