• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Cheap brusless motor (tester)

Iain .R

Hi all I have a brusless motor on my carnage and I think it's not working  right so I'd like to buy a cheap brusless motor  just to put on the carnage  with all the add ons iv added to the car to see if I can get it to work  so only thing left it's the motor . 

Iv looked on ebay and plain cheap motors £15  take like a month to arrive or buy the cheapest I can find at £30 +

So I'm hoping  one you guys will have a spare I can buy  to fit and see if my motor is bust / not working right . 

Hi all I'm after is just to see if it is my motor that's not working right  as iv changed all the pinions spurs esc so it's the motor that's left.  

Thanks for look and help.  

I might have a 2845 in my toolbox, I'll have a look later. 

Edit: just read you're after an actual motor, for those of us not in the know of this RC car, it may help to let us know the size of the motor can 👍🏽

Edited by Bert_w164

Hi sorry  . 

The car is ftx carnage    the motor that was in it original is a 15T 550 brushed   I have now put in a 3650 ..3300kv brushless And its playing up (I think that's why I'm asking  lol ) 

Thanks    

3 hours ago, Iain .R said:

Hi all I have a brusless motor on my carnage and I think it's not working  right so I'd like to buy a cheap brusless motor  just to put on the carnage  with all the add ons iv added to the car to see if I can get it to work  so only thing left it's the motor . 

Iv looked on ebay and plain cheap motors £15  take like a month to arrive or buy the cheapest I can find at £30 +

So I'm hoping  one you guys will have a spare I can buy  to fit and see if my motor is bust / not working right . 

Cheap and rc doesn’t really happen, even at the FTX budget end of the spectrum. Can’t believe how much trouble you’ve been having with yours. If I had a spare motor you’d be welcome to it. Hope you get to the bottom of it soon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Is it, "cogging" at start up, by any chance?

Sort of hesitating and not leaving smoothly?

If so... it's not the motor, its the cheap ESC. Get a hobbywing, buy once, cry once (they're not actually even expensive).

• Like 1

Hi thanks for the post guys.  

I just want a motor to plug in and seeing it runs any better than the one I got   its  not going to staying in there  just one run or so then out it comes   

As for the esc I have tried 3 types now and it's not working on all 3 so   it's the eac  not the motor    I dont get that   sorry . 

Its cogging and stuttering and  then  it works on short grass long grass wont move at all . 

On the road or gravel it's a complete nutter  so dam fast if I turn to quick it does like 3 somersaults  (broken body post to prove it  lol) 

I have swapped all the spurs and pinions   so all its left is motor . 

Cheers   

Iain,

Try and find a forum member local to you - I've lost count of the amount of posts/threads I've seen whereby you have troubles with this car. 

Or perhaps explore costs of sending the whole kit to someone to check it over/troubleshoot for you. Shame you're not local or I'd have a look over it and see if there's anything we can do!

You may well end up spending £xx on a motor you don't need...instead there's probably a helpful soul on the forum not far from you who'll be able to help you out!!!

Edited by Bert_w164

Just now, Bert_w164 said:

Iain,

Try and find a forum member local to you - I've lost count of the amount of posts/threads I've seen whereby you have troubles with this car. 

Or perhaps explore costs of sending the whole kit to someone to check it over/troubleshoot for you. Shame you're not local or I'd have a look over it and see if there's anything we can do!

Hi thanks    well in in cardiff   so if there is anyone you  know   

Iv swapped so much it has to be the motor   (all that's left )  but as its perfect on road and grave I dont get it ??? 

I'm looking at a other brusless set up . 

Not hobbywing    even the last set up and this set up now it no where near the cost of a hobbywing   . So  I cant afford it  I just want it to run for a while till I get chance to buy a hobbywing set up   

As a car sitting on the floor for months till get the cash  seems pointless to me   get it running for now   all I want lol .  

Thanks   

28 minutes ago, Iain .R said:

Hi thanks    well in in cardiff   so if there is anyone you  know   

Iv swapped so much it has to be the motor   (all that's left )  but as its perfect on road and grave I dont get it ??? 

I'm looking at a other brusless set up . 

Not hobbywing    even the last set up and this set up now it no where near the cost of a hobbywing   . So  I cant afford it  I just want it to run for a while till I get chance to buy a hobbywing set up   

As a car sitting on the floor for months till get the cash  seems pointless to me   get it running for now   all I want lol .  

Thanks   

What KV motor are you running and on what gearing? This sounds 100% like a gearing issue.

1 hour ago, everclear1984 said:

What KV motor are you running and on what gearing? This sounds 100% like a gearing issue.

49T 32dp    9T 32dp      3650 ..3300kv 

From 65T 32 dp     17T 32 dp 

I can send you a motor to test for sure. Send me a PM, but your issue sound very similar to the one I had with a Gool RC ESC, that was fixed immediately by switching to a different cheap one.

6 minutes ago, Iain .R said:

49T 32dp    9T 32dp      3650 ..3300kv 

From 65T 32 dp     17T 32 dp 

You've massively altered the gear radio. Did you run ok on the standard gearing?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, everclear1984 said:

You've massively altered the gear radio. Did you run ok on the standard gearing?

Hi yes it was 100% fine on  the standard   65T spur and 17T pinion  brushed . 

Then I put in the brusless set up   with the 65T and 17T  and it would not work I upped all the program settings to try and see if that would help  nope.. 

So then went thro the diffrent pinions   16T   15T     13T   then I changed the spur to a 49T and 13T pinion   

Then 11T   9T      iv got a 10T which not used lol as it came in the packet 9and 10T 

As I went down the spur and   pinions   it got better   when I put the brusless in at 65T an 17T it would  not move at all 

Then going down the sizes the car stated to go . Move .  

Then i was told it was the esc was not strong enough at 45A 

By this time I was on    2s lipos 49T spur  9T pinion  45A esc  on flat road /gravel   the car was going like stink 

On short grass it would pull off after 1 to 2 secs not moving chugging stuttering then it would go nutts 

Put it in long grass (size of the wheels) wont move   cuggs stutters goes forward about half inch wont move at all have to give it a push with your foot then it goes . 

Now I have  2s lipo  49T   9T pinion and 60A esc still does exactly the same as above     no difference  between 45A and 60A       hench  I want to try a diffrent brushless motor  to see if it's my motor . 

I did check the 3 wires to see if there was any crap in them but they nice and clean and tight ..