• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

New 30DNT won't start

SeagullMan

So pretty much rules a worn out engine. Assuming you have fuel pressure and fuel going to the carb, a decent spark I can think only of 3 things 1st, it is still flooded. My favourite is to close off both needles and turn the engine over for a couple of minutes to expell unwanted fuel. Other people remove the carb altogether, I think its just personal preference. 2nd are you using the choke correctly? And 3rd an air leak. Check for oil seeping out from the base of the barrel (the head bolts do come loose from time to time) or leaking around the carb.

Are you getting compression? You should be able to feel it if you pull slowly on the pull starter. It should try to lift the car up off the ground. If there is little to no compression it will be really easy to use the pull starter.

Just on the off chance then is the throttle butterfly slightly open to allow air into the mix and the choke butterfly, when cold shut for the first couple of pulls then fully open to start the engine? 

Literally then the only thing I can think of is an air leak somewhere. I know from when I had this problem I had a blown head gasket. Maybe try and tighten everything up a bit. Maybe things have settled in a bit during running it in?

Yes that's the correct procedure. It's a long shot you could take the carb off and check that the gasket is the correct way around as it has a small hole in it that should align with the pulse holes in the carb and manifold.

On 26/02/2021 at 16:39, SeagullMan said:

bulb primed, receiver/transmitter on, choke in down position until it tries to start and then horizontal but it never even sounds like its about to start

"tries to start" , quite often the engine will fire just once, like a small pop that's the time to turn the choke off and see if it starts.

You can remove the carb and it will still start and run for 1 - 3 seconds if you put some fuel down the plug hole.

if all you said above is true and you haven't over looked anything then it could be the plug breaking down under compression

(I have seen this a few times in the past) or it could be the ignition timing.

18 hours ago, SeagullMan said:

So replace the spark plug again? 

nah dont replace the plug again yet mate,

i would say your issue is the idles set too low, hence the pop but no run,

wind the idle screw in 1/4 to 1/2 a turn and try again, if its seems closer to running but wont, then do the same again,

dont overdo it though lol, either start it on a stand or remove wheels so it dont try and take off if you do overdo the idle,

once it does start and clears any excess fuel then adjust idle down again to where its happy,

just been through this myself with a new engine

after its been run and you have the idle set it should start every time,