• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Tamiya Vanessa Lunchbox esc/battery/charger

eposes 1974

hi folks ,

can anyone advise currently restoring my original 1987  Vanessa lunch box..

Recently purchased an F540 4370kv motor+45a esc combo as out of touch with batteries chargers I'm requiring some advise as been out of the scene for a lot of years .

* ive original bec controller will this work with this electronic esc?

*battery which is best to go for lipo 2s /charger and what does the number with C rating stand for on batteries is this discharge rate ?

*lipos can you run them totally flat ?

*deans connector what's the other wires plug for on battery?

*which makes brands are decent batteries/chargers ?

* how long run time is expected with lipo sat 5000amp/hr 

thanks in advance 

Hi,

The new esc will have an internal bec.

batteries and charger, I’d just find something from a reputable seller that fits my budget but look for hardcase lipos. Modelsport sell a core RC one that fits tamiya cars for about £26. Yes, c rating is something to do with discharge rate, higher c can give more punch on acceleration.

Don’t run the completely flat, only down to about 3.6v per cell, the esc will have a low voltage cutoff.

The other wires are for balancing the charge on the cells, it’s used by the charger.

I’ve been happy with overland batteries from modelsport but the ones I have are a bit of a squeeze in some cars so I’ve got one of the core rc batteries on order. I’ve been using the same basic charger for years. It looks like this but different colour and brand: https://www.modelsport.co.uk/skyrc-e680-ac-dc-80w-charger/rc-car-products/440716. I can tell you I’m happy with what I’ve been using but can’t really comment on other brands that I’ve no experience with.

run times on lipos and brushless are much better than they used to be in 1987 and with a 4370kv motor I dare say you’ll need to repair before recharge, that’s going to be one fast lunchie.

• Like 3

These are about the biggest my son and i can fit in our Lunchbox/Midnight Pumpkin battery trays without modding it  and we get around 40 mins run time on it :cheers:

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/gens-ace-lipo-2s-pack-7-4v-4000-50c-deans-plug/rc-car-products/444355

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oodboo said:

Hi,

The new esc will have an internal bec.

batteries and charger, I’d just find something from a reputable seller that fits my budget but look for hardcase lipos. Modelsport sell a core RC one that fits tamiya cars for about £26. Yes, c rating is something to do with discharge rate, higher c can give more punch on acceleration.

Don’t run the completely flat, only down to about 3.6v per cell, the esc will have a low voltage cutoff.

The other wires are for balancing the charge on the cells, it’s used by the charger.

I’ve been happy with overland batteries from modelsport but the ones I have are a bit of a squeeze in some cars so I’ve got one of the core rc batteries on order. I’ve been using the same basic charger for years. It looks like this but different colour and brand: https://www.modelsport.co.uk/skyrc-e680-ac-dc-80w-charger/rc-car-products/440716. I can tell you I’m happy with what I’ve been using but can’t really comment on other brands that I’ve no experience with.

run times on lipos and brushless are much better than they used to be in 1987 and with a 4370kv motor I dare say you’ll need to repair before recharge, that’s going to be one fast lunchie.

will look into it , so my old radio gear will it need updated as Bec controller holds crystal to hook up servo etc ??

1 minute ago, eposes 1974 said:

will look into it , so my old radio gear will it need updated as Bec controller holds crystal to hook up servo etc ??

Thats not a bec its the receiver and it may be best to update the transmitter and receiver to a 2.4 ghz outfit which is more reliable than the old crystal type sets :cheers:

• Like 1